Longevity opinion: frequent removal/installing or wearing?

J9907

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering what decreases the longevity of the system more - frequent removal/installing or wearing?

Example: if you only needed to go have your hair showing once every two weeks then would you be better off installing and leaving it on for 2 weeks (or whatever time you wear your system for) OR installing for that day and taking it off the same day/next day?

Thanks

Cruise21

My Regimen
Reaction score
A piece will last last much longer if you don't sleep with it and shower / wet comb it every day. It's even better if you get one with poly or skin sides and back for taping because you can easily take off the tape without removing any hair.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
A piece will last last much longer if you don't sleep with it and shower / wet comb it every day. It's even better if you get one with poly or skin sides and back for taping because you can easily take off the tape without removing any hair.
Wrong.

1. The system is made for wear, and constant removal, replacement including removing tape or adhesive will increase wear and shedding. 2-3 weeks is the optimum time for wear.

2. Wet combing is the wrong way to deal with your hair, dry combing, every day will not result in excess shedding.

3. It is harder to remove most tapes from poly, but you are correct, it won't result in pulling hair. If you use enough alcohol, the tape will come off lace without a problem.

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wrong.

1. The system is made for wear, and constant removal, replacement including removing tape or adhesive will increase wear and shedding. 2-3 weeks is the optimum time for wear.

2. Wet combing is the wrong way to deal with your hair, dry combing, every day will not result in excess shedding.

3. It is harder to remove most tapes from poly, but you are correct, it won't result in pulling hair. If you use enough alcohol, the tape will come off lace without a problem.
1 - any advice how to get a lace system to bond for 2-3 weeks? after 7-8 days the tape breaks down and starts to seep through the lace.

2 - any advice how to deal with bed head and tangles in the morning? I tend to just apply leave in conditioner and comb it through.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have issues with the tape, change to a different one.

You can't avoid tangles in the morning, you need to comb through them, gently. Avoid products that leave lots of residues, that will help.

Noah

Reaction score
I think it depends on the type of hairpiece you buy and the type of adhesives you use. For sure if you don't sleep in your piece you will be sparing it quite a lot of wear and tear (the exact amount depends on how restless a sleeper you are, and whether you take precautions like using a silk pillowcase). But if you want to take the piece off every night then you have to prepare accordingly, because tugging the piece off frequently, soaking it in alcohol frequently, pulling tape off the base frequently etc, also take a toll. So you need to get a system going whereby you can take the piece off with minimum pulling and with the tape still on it and re-usable, and you can store it with the style intact, so that you can just put it on and press down the same tapes in the morning.

To do that, you need light tac tape for daily wear. Suppliers like Hair Direct sell it. If you use an exposed hairline a short-term glue like spirit gum might be a good choice for the hairline. Obviously this has implications for how secure the piece will be when it's on - if someone gives it a good tug (e.g. during sex) it will come loose. That is a risk you need to be comfortable with. It would probably also be a good idea to get a piece with a robust poly horseshoe rim. That will give it a bit of dimensional stability, which will make it easier to take on and off.

If you are comfortable not looking your best in the bedroom, you might consider wearing a hairnet or a tight-fitting silk cap in bed. Not the most alluring nightwear, but they would give you some of the same protection against wear and tear at night without the fuss of taking your piece on and off.

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have issues with the tape, change to a different one.

You can't avoid tangles in the morning, you need to comb through them, gently. Avoid products that leave lots of residues, that will help.
Why is lots of residues a problem?

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think my routine would cause the hair to build up much residue but I don't observe any tangling problem. Why would that be?
I wash only once a week with shampoo and conditioner, I apply a leave-in daily and I also put an oil everyday (jojoba, castor, olive, argan or coconut). Yes I have no tangling issues. Or am I being oblivious to that?

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Residue on any base will cause new adhesive or tape not to stick as well. In lace, it seeps into the knot, and eventually the hair itself, causing matting that cannot be fixed.
I´ve heard this a lot and I don´t know what the exact problem is.
My hairpiece, ANY hairpiece comes of from the skin at first not from the base or not ?

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As many have said it depends:

It mostly depends how far on you are through your current wear and how long you’ll rest it for.

I usually get two weeks wear. The unit gets exponentially easier to remove and clean as the days go by.
I’d probably never take it off for anything if it’d been on for less than a week.

if it was 8-10 days I’d need to have close to 10 days to rest it for me to want to do it.

if I was at the end of the two weeks and could rest it for 5 days I probably would.

Also depends on other stuff like your replacement unit, how much you want to wear that and what’s happening socially.

My current replacement required me wearing a cap because it’s too thin and I’d never attach it properly because it’s too much effort so, unless I can wear a cap pretty much all day, I don’t bother.