long term study

Hopeman

Reaction score
what is the longest RELIABLE study that has been done on propecia? ive got to thinking that there might be something that could go terribly wrong if we keep f*****g with our hormonal levels for too long. I mean the drug hasnt been out for that long has it? I could be wrong; but does anyone know if theyve done any studies that last longer than a year and (if so) what the findings were in terms of side effects.

Pondle

Reaction score
PLESS (Proscar Long-Term Efficacy and Safety Study) lasted 7 years. The longest study into Propecia lasted 5 years. Finasteride has been in clinical use for the treatment of BPH since 1992. It was invented in 1988.

The Propecia product monograph states "Integrated analysis of clinical adverse experiences showed that during treatment with PROPECIA, 36 (3.8%) of 945 men had reported one or more [...] adverse experiences as compared to 20 (2.1%) of 934 men treated with placebo (p=0.04). Resolution occurred in men who discontinued therapy with PROPECIA due to these side effects and in most of those who continued therapy. The incidence of each of the above adverse experiences decreased to ?0.3% by the fifth year of treatment with PROPECIA."

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I think its enough evidence to say finasteride wont do MAJOR damage to your body.

Paul December

Established Member
Reaction score
Just be glad you are not a woman! :woot:
Seriously, Propecia is Minor League compared to "The Pill"
...and forget about hormone replacement!
It's good to keep a sense of perspective.

Pondle

Reaction score
Paul December said:
Just be glad you are not a woman! :woot:
Seriously, Propecia is Minor League compared to "The Pill"
...and forget about hormone replacement!
It's good to keep a sense of perspective.

I agree heartily, but tell that to some of the guys on the sides forum. :mrgreen:

Meddller

Reaction score
I've been on Propecia for about 5-6 years. It's been pretty good to me. It's kept the hair on my head for most of the time (I lost a little when I tried to go to generic finasteride 2 years ago). I haven't really had any side effects and never experienced any sexual problems. My libido isn't as strong as it once was, however, I'm not in my twenties anymore.