Long Term Side Effects

agbulk

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for all your responses to my previous post. Now i am very interested in propecia or possibly using Rogaine but....

is anyone concerned with long term side effects, like possibly getting cancer in 20 years or something? These products havent been out long enough to really tell. Anyone having any bad side effects right now using them?

Your help is much appreciated...

A balding Adam from Jersey!

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
agbulk said:
Hello,

Thanks for all your responses to my previous post. Now i am very interested in propecia or possibly using Rogaine but....

is anyone concerned with long term side effects, like possibly getting cancer in 20 years or something? These products havent been out long enough to really tell. Anyone having any bad side effects right now using them?

A balding Adam from Jersey!

in a very small percentage of men, propecia can cause long-term impotence - possibly permanent, although this is conjecture. i've been impotent for 6 months since stopping propecia. this dude i talk to has been impotent for 21 months. whether or not we will ever recover has yet to be seen.

this happens to maybe one person in several thousand. hard to say.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hmm. We need to stress the importance of not making statements that you know you don't really know for sure ... because People here read comments and take them as gospel. For example...

agbulk said:
These products havent been out long enough to really tell.
Yes they have. People have been taking 5 times the dose of Propecia daily, in the form of Proscar, for 20 years now. It has only been shown to decrease the chances of prostate cancer. Not increase.

hair mchair said:
in a very small percentage of men, propecia can cause long-term impotence - possibly permanent. This is conjecture.
If its conjecture, please don't say it like its been established. Someone is going to read this thread and think there is data to back that statement up, and there is none.

Propecia has not been shown to cause long term or permanent impotence in anyone yet.

One thing ive noticed is that people tend to declare as gospel whatever happens to them personally. Do not fall into this trap because you're going to end up spreading misinformation that doesnt apply to 99.999999% of people, and this is how wrong information is propogated with good intentions. I had a hypersensitive unique response to Propecia and every single time I mention it, I point out that I am the complete exception to the rule. That is the only safe way of doing this.

If I walked around telling people that "Propecia causes massive increases in estrogen at the 3 year mark" just because it did that to me ... it would be very irresponsible of me.

Be careful wth what you say because thousands of people are reading, who don't post, and because of the reputability of this site, they're bound to believe anything they read, simply because they saw it here.

HairLossTalk.com

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
hair mchair said:
in a very small percentage of men, propecia can cause long-term impotence - possibly permanent. This is conjecture.
If its conjecture, please don't say it like its been established. Someone is going to read this thread and think there is data to back that statement up, and there is none.

Propecia has not been shown to cause long term or permanent impotence in anyone yet.

One thing ive noticed is that people tend to declare as gospel whatever happens to them personally. Do not fall into this trap because you're going to end up spreading misinformation that doesnt apply to 99.999999% of people, and this is how wrong information is propogated with good intentions. I had a hypersensitive unique response to Propecia and every single time I mention it, I point out that I am the complete exception to the rule. That is the only safe way of doing this.

If I walked around telling people that "Propecia causes massive increases in estrogen at the 3 year mark" just because it did that to me ... it would be very irresponsible of me.

Be careful wth what you say because thousands of people are reading, who don't post, and because of the reputability of this site, they're bound to believe anything they read, simply because they saw it here.

HairLossTalk.com

this isn't conjecture. i was relating my personal experience and the personal experiences of dozens of others, some of whom i have spoken to personally and some of whom i haven't. finasteride CAN cause long-term impotence. note that i said that it may or may not be permanent. just because there are no official studies to back me up doesn't mean that i'm wrong. in my opinion, user feedback is just as important as official studies, if not more so.

finasteride can also cause gyno in a small percentage of men. this was not evident during the original clinical trials, and so was not originally included under the list of side effects (i don't know whether or not it is now). despite the fact that none of the men in the official clinical trials did not get gyno from finasteride, it is valid to warn others of the potential for gyno, provided that the incidence of gyno is not exaggerated.

similarly, it is valid to warn others of the potential for long-term impotence, provided that the incidence of long-term impotence is not exaggerated. notice that i said this only occurs in a very small percentage of finasteride users. i was NOT taking my personal experience and blowing it out of proportion.

it is irresponsible NOT to warn others of the potential complications of any drug. let's suppose, hypothetically, that finasteride use was fatal for one person in a 100,000. would it then be irresponsible to say, "finasteride MAY cause death in a very small percentage of men"? of course not. i'm sure everyone would agree that it would be irresponsible not to warn others about this, despite the fact that one person in 100,000 is "statistically insignificant." based on my experience and the experience of dozens of other men who took months or years to recover from the sexual side effects of propecia (IF they recovered at all), i believe it would be irresponsible of me to not warn others about the potential for long-term impotence. this is a very serious problem for those unfortunate enough to have an extreme reaction to propecia. it might not be tantamount to death, but it's pretty friggin bad just the same.

let's keep in mind that many men are reluctant to take propecia because of the sexual side effects, even those men who believe that less than 2% of finasteride users experience these side effects and that these side effects will completely disappear within a few days or weeks of discontinuing propecia. imagine how these men would feel if they knew that these side effects might take months or years to go away. we are doing such men a disservice by telling them that they have a 100% chance of recovery from these side effects should they appear.

i am not one of these people who has a bad experience with propecia and then goes from forum to forum bashing propecia and saying that no one should take it. i am very careful in what i say and exactly how i say it. i just want to inform people of my bad experience so that they can make an informed decision, which i was denied. i have reached the point where i would not recommend propecia, but i would not recommend that people not use it either. i trust people to make the right decision when given all the facts.

also, notice that one of agbulk's questions was, "anyone having any bad side effects right now...?" so if you want to disregard everything i just said, i was at least justified in relating my personal experience, considered that we were all asked to share our personal experiences.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
mchair,

I hear ya man. I think you've been very fair in your descriptions of what propecia possibly did to you. It does kind of make people paranoid but I guess its only fair to share it if it genuinely happened to you.

Man, when you gonna get your hormones checked? You need to get this done so you can get back on track. It may be your hormones are normal and you have another underlying condition. If your estrogen is high and testosterone/DHT low then there are treatments for that! You could take an estrogen blocker and put on a testosterone patch(which would likely be covered by insurance) and in no time you'd be a stiff penis motha fucka!~

Keep us posted

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
i am not one of these people who has a bad experience with propecia and then goes from forum to forum bashing propecia and saying that no one should take it. i am very careful in what i say and exactly how i say it. i just want to inform people of my bad experience so that they can make an informed decision, which i was denied. i have reached the point where i would not recommend propecia, but i would not recommend that people not use it either. i trust people to make the right decision when given all the facts.
I'm that way now too. I was going to tell a friend about it and now that I had this happen I may not because when he asks about side effects I would have to tell him I got gyno.Not something I want to discuss with this guy.Having said that, there is nothing that will stop your hairloss with such a proven track record as finasteride.

agbulk

Reaction score
Thank You

Whether the comments were against me or for me, I thank you all very much fro your input.

Adam

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
my dr said topical treatments on your scalp can cause skin cancer. Think about all the sh*t that's in minoxidil

G

Stabber said:
my dr said topical treatments on your scalp can cause skin cancer. Think about all the sh*t that's in minoxidil

Huh????????? :freaked2:

joebloe

Reaction score
I too am a sufferer of long-term side effects from finasteride. I'm 29, been off it for 6 months, and I still have a lot of trouble getting aroused or erect. If I'm with a girl, I feel like I couldn't be bothered having sex, it's too much effort and not that much fun.
If I'm getting head it just doesn't feel like anything, and I stay soft.
v**** sorta works from a mechanical point of view but it doesn't make me horny, or enjoy sex. That's really the problem, that I feel unhorny most of the time.
I've tried Tribulus and DIM too. DIM didnt do anything, Tribulus seemed to help with my libido but it gave me gyno.
I've had (some) of my hormones tested just before I quit fina. Estrogen was at the extreme upper limit (but I think these ranges are testing for serious diseases, not libido problems), testosterone was mid-range. The endo refused to test for free testosterone or DHT. Anyway he thought it was my high blood pressure (135/80) and not the fina.

Oh by the way, finasteride worked amazingly well at keeping and growing my hair. Now I'm thinning pretty badly again. Great.

lovely711

Reaction score
joebloe

How is it possible that tribulus can cause gyno? Is'nt it is supposed to burn those estrogens and do the reverse.. ???

Just to let u know, I am on the same boat as u, but it is been 10 months I have stopped Propecia

What is DIM?

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
Stingray said:
Hehe....turtle turtle!

Hey dude, leave my dick alone. It's been through a lot in the last few months.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
joebloe said:
I too am a sufferer of long-term side effects from finasteride. I'm 29, been off it for 6 months, and I still have a lot of trouble getting aroused or erect. If I'm with a girl, I feel like I couldn't be bothered having sex, it's too much effort and not that much fun.
If I'm getting head it just doesn't feel like anything, and I stay soft.
v**** sorta works from a mechanical point of view but it doesn't make me horny, or enjoy sex. That's really the problem, that I feel unhorny most of the time.
I've tried Tribulus and DIM too. DIM didnt do anything, Tribulus seemed to help with my libido but it gave me gyno.
I've had (some) of my hormones tested just before I quit fina. Estrogen was at the extreme upper limit (but I think these ranges are testing for serious diseases, not libido problems), testosterone was mid-range. The endo refused to test for free testosterone or DHT. Anyway he thought it was my high blood pressure (135/80) and not the fina.

Oh by the way, finasteride worked amazingly well at keeping and growing my hair. Now I'm thinning pretty badly again. Great.

A lot of us guys with really nasty sexual side effects from Propecia seem to have gotten really good results from Propecia as well. Joebloe, I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I'm thinning pretty badly too. :(

My testosterone levels are right in the middle of the normal range. My estrogen levels are outside the normal range, higher than usual. I will be going to an endocrinologist soon to have further testing done. I'll keep everyone updated.

Hey Joebloe, out of curiosity, did you join this forum because you had to stop taking Propecia? A lot of people on these hairloss forums think that there are so many people on these forums with side effects because they are looking for alternatives to Propecia or are trying to find out what they can do about their side effects. I'm just wondering if this is true or not. Personally, I'm here because I had to stop taking Propecia. I doubt I would spend as much time here otherwise.

joebloe

Reaction score
lovely711: I don't know why tribulus caused gyno, it could be that the excess testosterone was being aromatized to estrogen, or maybe it was the other stuff that was in the tribulus concoction. It definitely seemed to work for libido though, supposedly it raises LH and indirectly testosterone.
DIM is supposed to be good at lowering estradiol, which is the "bad" estrogen.

I forgot to mention that my LH and FSH levels were also at the bottom end of the normal range. This seems to be a common pattern with people having long-term finasteride side-effects:

High estrogen
Normal or low testosterone
Low FSH
Low LH
Low DHT

I have all of the above (apart from my DHT level which I don't know).

hair mchair: I joined this forum because I want to know what to do about my side-effects. I also would like to keep/grow my hair (anti-DHT topicals? minoxidil etc), at the moment all I'm doing is using nizoral shampoo. I wonder if that too has an effect on estrogen levels. But my number one priority is the side effects; a lifetime of unenjoyable sex is a pretty tough pill to swallow.

The first thing I want to try is getting my estrogen down, just not sure how to do this. And it's impossible to get doctors here to agree to that, since my numbers are all "normal".

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
f***, now this is getting way complicated, tribulus causes b**ch tits, man...ok, what do you guys think of the tribulus formulations that cointain chrysin to block the conversion to estrogen?