Long term Minoxidil users wanted!! minoxidil side effects help.

zossima

Reaction score
thanx for your answers guys. they have been helpfull.
I've send this message to lordsam and iamnaked, but if anyone has an opinion about this or just thinks that has some worthy advices, please do comment, any help is welcome.

i've used rogaine 5% for 1 year and 10 months without any side effects, i even used to put it on with a damp scalp...

and i began to feel dizzy from a bad experience with an tryciclic antidepressive that i was taking at the same time i was using minoxidil, i'm stil taking the antidepressive, but lowering the dosage every month...

now... still dizzy, i'm just not absolutly sure that rogaine has nothing to do with this strange feeling in my head... it might be rogaine or the antidepressive... i don't know!

but one thing is sure: i don't feel worst after applying rogaine, sometimes i even feel better since i put it only at night and my heart beat and blood pressure are completly normal.

I have even stop rogaine for 7 days and still felt dizzy!

It would mean allot if you can help me,
thank very much once again.

Have any of you guys ever experienced something similar?

could my dizziness be caused by rogaine???

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
zossima, I've been on minoxidil (2% and 5%) for at least five years now. The only side effect that I could report on is itchy scalp. Most of the members on these boards also have the same side effect, specifically with the use of PPG minoxidil. But dizziness, however, is quite uncommon. If you've been on mixox for three years now without any problem, it's unlikely that it's the minoxidil. Any side effects would have probably appeared after the first few weeks or months of use. Nevertheless, why don't you lay off the minoxidil for a few days and see what happens.

zossima

Reaction score
thanx for your answer man :) , it is good to know that it is a very uncomom side effect, i'm also taking an tryciclic anti-depressive, that might be the cause of the dizziness.

i'll stop rogaine for a few days to see what happens...

thank you.

lordsam

Reaction score
Minoxidil lowers blood pressure and syptoms of low blood pressure are dizziness, weakness, and sometimes depression. It certainly is a good idea to stay off the minoxidil until you have worked out what is making you feel dizzy, but it is a real possibility that minoxidil is the cause. Essentially you are altering your bodies natural state when you lower your blood pressure. I would not say that dizziness is an uncommon side effect of using minoxidil given the amount of people who i have seen on this forum complaining of this side effect. Taking anything which makes you feel dizzy cannot be good for your body so you have to listen to your body if it is telling you to stop. There are other things you can use to keep your hair other than minoxidil. Did you also know that a listed side effect of minoxidil is depression? Well minoxidil is ok for some but not everyone, i will be interested to see some of the posts on this forum when people start using the higher strength minoxidil formulas which are being released now. Anyhow, i hope it all sorts itself out for you.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You could be hyperventilating without realising it. I had a similar problem about 4 years back which was really bugging me (dizziness, anxiety, lightheadedness). When I went to see the doctor he laughed and told me within about a minute of me having been there that I wasn't breathing properly. I was breathing through my chest and shoulders, not through my abdomen, which is how you should breathe. He told me that poor breathing habits are a pretty common problem.

I was pretty embarrassed to hear that I hadn't learnt how to breathe by the age of 18, but suffice to say once I followed his tips, the dizziness and anxiety went away as if by magic.

I don't think it's the minoxidil, personally.

zossima

Reaction score
thanx for your answers guys. they have been helpfull.
I've send this message to some to lordsam and iamnaked, but if anyone has an opinion about this or just thinks that has some worthy advices, please do comment, any help is welcome.

i've used rogaine 5% for 1 year and 10 months without any side effects, i even used to put it on with a damp scalp...

and i began to feel dizzy from a bad experience with an tryciclic antidepressive that i was taking at the same time i was using minoxidil, i'm stil taking the antidepressive, but lowering the dosage every month...

now... still dizzy, i'm just not absolutly sure that rogaine has nothing to do with this stange feeling in my head... it might be rogaine or the antidepressive... i don't know!

but one thing is sure: i don't feel worst after applying rogaine, sometimes i even feel better since i put it only at night and my heart beat and blood pressure are completly normal.

I have even stop rogaine for 7 days and still felt dizzy!

It would mean allot if you can help me,
thank very much once again.

Have any of you guys ever experienced something similar?

could my dizziness be caused by rogaine???

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
What brand of of minoxidil do you use?
Do you have an increased heart rate about an hour after you apply the minoxidil?

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
I think rogaine can be related to your dizyness mainly since it's listed as one of the drugs side effects.

zossima

Reaction score
I'll start cheking them, i have a device that avaluates blood pressure.
thx for your advice :)

The thing that confuses me is that i have stop rogaine for 7 days in a row, twice, and the dizziness didn't change at all.

What do you think? would i need to be off rogaine for more than 7 days for it to stop affecting my body and producing side effects, in case they exist?

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
In my opinion 7 days is enough, but who am I anyway?
Wait few more days and then re-evaluate.

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a similar experience. 4 -5 years on minoxidil and not sides. In the past couple months I’ve been experiencing dizziness, numb scalp and face, fatigue, depression. Can these sides increase due to applying it to the lower temple areas? That’s the only change except for propecia having been added and then stopped. Maybe finasteride could lower blood pressure compounding the side?

How long after you stop minoxidil can you experience the dizziness? I’m trying to assess if it’s the minoxidil or not.

Another question: I know there are no sexual sides with minoxidil, but what if you were getting ED from finasteride, and the minoxidil lowered your blood pressure, could it contribute to the lack of blood flow to your penis?