long term heart problems with rogaine

tornado

Reaction score
Hey guys

I started rogaine for about a month 9 months ago and I develop heart pain so I had to stop taking it. The heart pain has gotten a little better but it is still there. When ever I exercise my heart is in terrible pain. My heart is beating harder than usually and I also have a little shortness of breath. My heart seems to get better day by day if I do no activity but if I work out agian my heart starts to hurt. I went a cardiologist and they perform some basic test but could not find anything wrong with me. They said they need to do a ECG to see if anything is wrong with my heart. I cant get the ECG right now because I dont have insurance so it would cost 700 dollar.(Seeing a Cardiologist alone cost me 200 dollars :( ). I was wondering if any forum member had any of these symptoms or if you guys could provide any help. I just want my heart to return back to normal.

Kt7

Reaction score
I got heart palpitations after using minoxidil for a month, doctor told me it's highly unlikely that it was caused by minoxidil because I was applying it topically, but I stopped using minoxidil after that.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got heart palpitations after using minoxidil for a month, doctor told me it's highly unlikely that it was caused by minoxidil because I was applying it topically, but I stopped using minoxidil after that.

What a dumbass doctor. Any topical can go systemic.

Reaction score

You can get tachycardia and heart palpitations from Minoxidil... common side effects. Your Doctor has no clue. I heard about some who even had to call the ambulance because they thought that they would die. But there are the worst effect of Mionx you can experience... good that not taking it can save you from these problems.

Kt7

Reaction score
You can get tachycardia and heart palpitations from Minoxidil... common side effects. Your Doctor has no clue. I heard about some who even had to call the ambulance because they thought that they would die. But there are the worst effect of Mionx you can experience... good that not taking it can save you from these problems.
Yeah, the symptoms subsided within a week.

MikenGA

Reaction score
I started applying 1 ml Kirkland's minoxidil to my scalp daily, in March 2013, on the suggestion of one of my clients - a plastic surgeon who insisted it would be GOOD for me. I was 60 years old at the time, and never had a problem with ANYTHING previously; never bad sick, nor reaction to drugs. Yet, in May 2014, I was rushed to the emergency room with severe chest pains and heart palpitations. The diagnosis was Atrial Fibrillation, and I was in the hospital for about 4 days getting all kinds of tests, plus a heart cath. I was released with orders to take a daily 325 mg aspirin, and to get more REST with less STRESS.

After I came home, I restarted with the minoxidil, and the fluttering with chest pains restarted, too. Instantly, I suspected a relationship between the fluttering pain and minoxidil. I Googled "minoxidil and atrial fibrillation", and found the most common side effect of minoxidil IS Atrial Fibrillation. I stopped the minoxidil, and after about 3 to 5 months, I was symptom free again.

There have been NO indications of a continuing problem since stopping minoxidil, and my heart checks out fine. My hair did respond to the 1 ml topical solution, but it def was NOT worth the threat to my health. My cardiologists have recognized ZERO association between the A-fib and minoxidil...so I'm still shopping for a 'better informed' doctor.

I would rather be bald, happy and healthy, than hairy, sad and sick.

Good luck to all. Please be careful, and pay attention to what your body might be telling you.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When I first started, I used to get a slight chest pain. I kind of eased myself into the minoxidil. I still only do 1x a day.

For those with pain and other heart symptoms, try very minute amounts and adjust gradually, hopefully your body can respond and adapt to it accordingly. And if you do experience shortness of breath or heart palpitations, cease usage. The hair is not worth having heart problems, look for alternatives.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's the alternative? Tricomin? Cayenne? Wasn't there a "safer" version made called Nanoxidil?

Abu Hairy Al-Forhedi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil gave me heart palpitations. I was actively in sports back then and it was scary as **** to get palpitations at 150, 160bpm.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Yep, minoxidil is a ridiculously dangerous treatment and yet all the whiney idiots on here want to moan about is finasteride. They'll slap minoxidil on their head just fine without a second thought but the 2nd they hear "sexual side effects" the "but muh dik" crowds come out in force. Just goes to show people are more terrified of potentially temporarily losing the use of their dick over permanently damaging their heart.

lexicalgap

Reaction score
When I first started, I used to get a slight chest pain. I kind of eased myself into the minoxidil. I still only do 1x a day.

For those with pain and other heart symptoms, try very minute amounts and adjust gradually, hopefully your body can respond and adapt to it accordingly. And if you do experience shortness of breath or heart palpitations, cease usage. The hair is not worth having heart problems, look for alternatives.

^

Kt7

Reaction score
Hello guys
Well I was a Norwood 2 or nearly two and a half years ago and I used minoxidil for a month, discontinued due to heart palpitations.
It was prescribed to me by a doctor along with some tablets that contained saw palmetto, biotin, zinc etc but I didn't take those due to the possible sexual side effects.

I'm Norwood 3 nearly now and I'm thinking of starting a regime now.
I'm afraid of taking finasteride/saw palmetto honestly.
Should I again start with minoxidil?
What should my regime be?

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys
Well I was a Norwood 2 or nearly two and a half years ago and I used minoxidil for a month, discontinued due to heart palpitations.
It was prescribed to me by a doctor along with some tablets that contained saw palmetto, biotin, zinc etc but I didn't take those due to the possible sexual side effects.

I'm Norwood 3 nearly now and I'm thinking of starting a regime now.
I'm afraid of taking finasteride/saw palmetto honestly.
Should I again start with minoxidil?
What should my regime be?

Finasteride lowers your DHT levels. DHT = balding. You can get some regrowth from finasteride.
Minoxidil is used specifically for regrowth but doesn't lower DHT. Without Finasteride minoxidil regrowth will probably be lost again over the years.

Combining the two is the best solution on the market right now.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked a cardiologist if he ever had a patient have a bad effect to his heart or problem with minoxidil..

He never heard of this happening

I'm not saying it does not happen--but its probably very rare OR men are overdosing on it OR there is an underlying heart problem already..I just don't want people reading this thread and getting paranoid.

Ask a Dr how often he has patients have bad effects from minoxidil that effect heart if you have fear.

Kt7

Reaction score
I asked a cardiologist if he ever had a patient have a bad effect to his heart or problem with minoxidil..

He never heard of this happening

I'm not saying it does not happen--but its probably very rare OR men are overdosing on it OR there is an underlying heart problem already..I just don't want people reading this thread and getting paranoid.

Ask a Dr how often he has patients have bad effects from minoxidil that effect heart if you have fear.