Long Term Dutasteride Issues, Advice Needed

boultons911

Reaction score
I started losing my hair in my early twenties and after some research decided dutasteride was the way to go and it worked a treat and stopped any further hair loss, I wouldn't say more hair grew back, but i was able to stop the hair loss in its tracks.
I was lucky that I did not get any side effect problems such as sex drive or erectile issues as many people I knew had done whilst taking dutasteride.
I had a FUE procedure to fill the parts that had receded and I have enjoyed a full head of hair ever since....I am now 42 years old.
I have been taking 0.5mg of dutasteride for about 20 years now.
I live a healthy lifestyle, eat healthy, exercise daily and on a recent visit to the doctors, which is rare for me, my blood showed my fasting glocuse levels were high. I do not have type 2 diabetes.
It would appear dutasteride causes high blood sugar levels which can lead to many complications.
I have tried to combat this by using metformin which is a diabetes treatment to aid insulin resistance but this has made no difference to the fasting sugar levels.
Has anyone else had the same issue and if so how did you combat this?

Had anyone switched from dutasteride to finasteride and if so any issues or advice?
Do you think taking a mix of finasteride say 5 times per week and dropping the dutasteride to twice per week would be a solution?
I ask this because I recently bought a years supply of dutasteride so don't wish to waste it if possible as dutasteride is a pain to buy for me as I can't get it through prescription.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
So you've been taking dutasteride since its introduction to the market, how does your hair hold up now? I took finasteride since 2001 and only about 4 years ago I switched to dutasteride. I had good result with finasteride, but switching to dutasteride didn't improve my hair in any way, so I switched back to finasteride.

How do you know your high blood sugar level is due to dutasteride? Is it proven that is the cause?

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
I started losing my hair in my early twenties and after some research decided dutasteride was the way to go and it worked a treat and stopped any further hair loss, I wouldn't say more hair grew back, but i was able to stop the hair loss in its tracks.
I was lucky that I did not get any side effect problems such as sex drive or erectile issues as many people I knew had done whilst taking dutasteride.
I had a FUE procedure to fill the parts that had receded and I have enjoyed a full head of hair ever since....I am now 42 years old.
I have been taking 0.5mg of dutasteride for about 20 years now.
I live a healthy lifestyle, eat healthy, exercise daily and on a recent visit to the doctors, which is rare for me, my blood showed my fasting glocuse levels were high. I do not have type 2 diabetes.
It would appear dutasteride causes high blood sugar levels which can lead to many complications.
I have tried to combat this by using metformin which is a diabetes treatment to aid insulin resistance but this has made no difference to the fasting sugar levels.
Has anyone else had the same issue and if so how did you combat this?

Had anyone switched from dutasteride to finasteride and if so any issues or advice?
Do you think taking a mix of finasteride say 5 times per week and dropping the dutasteride to twice per week would be a solution?
I ask this because I recently bought a years supply of dutasteride so don't wish to waste it if possible as dutasteride is a pain to buy for me as I can't get it through prescription.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't switch to finasteride. And who says it was dutasteride after 20 years? I've been on it for 17 years. Seems you need to change your diet. Ditch the dirty carbs and go workout