Long hair guy, am I balding?

Am I balding

• Total voters

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
You really belive in mature hairline QC?

Mygoodness

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I am not trying to hassle or troll anyone here. I appreciate the moderators comments and apologize for lacking tact in previous posts. I am still concerned about my hair though. Lemme post some additional pictures to elaborate. If you guys still think I am crazy, I will stop posting. It's just my temple recession thats killing me. I am really just worried about looking receding with long hair. I think long hair is only a good look if you have the genes to rock it. Any recession just freaks me out, even natural maturing. So new pics are here, they are a little more representative. You can see how well the hair covers temples, but how is overall quality w/temple recession. Can I rock the long hair?!!

Attachments

• Front_Profile.jpg
    Front_Profile.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Side Profile.jpg
    Side Profile.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 951
  • Side_Profile 2.jpg
    Side_Profile 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 847
  • Front Profile_2.jpg
    Front Profile_2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 943

Mygoodness

Reaction score
Also, here is when I was 21ish. I am almost 30 now

Attachments

• Side_Young.jpg
    Side_Young.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 797
  • Top view_Young.jpg
    Top view_Young.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 788
  • Young Front Profile.jpg
    Young Front Profile.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 853
  • Young Front_Side 2.jpg
    Young Front_Side 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 761

slipy

Reaction score
how many threads have you made and how many more you plan on starting?

the poll options should've been

A. Crazy

B. Troll

either way you're pretty weird.

Still_Ill

Reaction score
I think long hair is only a good look if you have the genes to rock it. Any recession just freaks me out, even natural maturing. So new pics are here, they are a little more representative. You can see how well the hair covers temples, but how is overall quality w/temple recession. Can I rock the long hair?!!

First off, your hairline has barely changed since you were 21. The widow's peak and slight recession at the corners are signs of a mature hairline. This is a normal and natural process that typically occurs in males from the ages of 17 to around 30. Considering where your hairline was last year and where it had been ten years ago, it looks like it has locked into place at a Norwood 2 -- this is not considered balding unless miniaturization is present. You don't show any visible signs of miniaturization, so I don't think that you're balding. For further info on this subject, here are two links from Dr. Rassman's website.

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/01/...e-moving-from-juvenile-to-mature-with-photos/

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/10/06/juvenile-vs-mature-hairline-am-i-going-bald-with-photos/

As for whether you can rock the long hair, I think everyone here has answered your question multiple times. Of course you can. Being paranoid about it is unhealthy. If you're really convinced that you're going bald, see an IAHRS doctor near you for a consultation. They are reputable doctors who can quickly and easily map your scalp for miniaturization using a microscope -- at the very least, this would ease your concerns about balding.

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

(this page may say "find a hair transplant surgeon," but the doctors listed are also available for regular consultation.)

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont see any hair loss on you, but I think that balding blog guy is wrong. There is no such thing as a mature hairline. Who made this term up was it this balding blog guy? I could grab a marker and draw a line anywhere I want and say its a mature hairline. How does he scientifically figure out where the mature hair line ends by the millimeter? Who yeah there is no scientific way to way to do that because he invented that himself. How many left actually do or care about real science as opposed to coloring black lines of balding men's head?

Still_Ill

Reaction score
I can understand your skepticism towards the concept of the maturing hairline, abcdefg. I don't think the science has been worked out precisely enough to convince everyone that this apparently happens regularly in non-balding males. I also don't believe that the photos Rassman used to illustrate his points were effective. A better example of a "mature hairline" would be Pierce Brosnan's. Compare photos of him when he was young to those of him today, and you may see the very gradual recession that occurred over the years before locking into a NW2 pattern.

This process does not occur in all men -- David Bowie, for example, has retained a Norwood 1 hairline his whole life. To add further confusion, a lot of famous non-balding men may conceal their "mature hairlines" through styling or hairline lowering procedures, so we rarely get the opportunity to inspect their natural hairlines as we could Mygoodness' in this thread. In this way, the media can distort reality and make people like Mygoodness freak out over the slightest recession, even though it can be normal for some.

Rassman says that where the recession stops in non-balding males depends on genetics, so there's no hard rule for where the "mature hairline" must exist. With the marker, I assume he was just guessing based on trends he's observed over the years (around .5" above top wrinkle in the center and 1" above top wrinkle at the corners). There can always be deviation from those figures. Some men stop at Norwood 3 -- this is where I disagree with Rassman, since he doesn't think that could be considered a "mature hairline." You see, the theory doesn't always make sense.

Also -- I want to clarify that I'm not an expert on this and can't claim I am, so please take what I've said with a grain of salt. It may be wrong, but I usually trust the doctors who have had much more experience studying this than I have.

HairGuru22

Established Member
Reaction score
I think OP is going to be bald within a couple of years, he needs to get on finasteride ASAP.

Mygoodness

Reaction score
So far 25 % of the poll responders say I am balding. Whats the deal? Should I cut the hair, kinda freaking out here.

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OP, you've been told countless times that you've nothing to worry about. You say you aren't trolling, yet you're behaving like that. That's why people are saying you're balding on the poll, as an f-you. It's that simple, you AREN'T balding, so stop wasting time and energy!

Christopher_K

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish my hair were that thick. I've noticed my hair feeling whispier than it used to in the last few years, but who knows if it's diet, stress, genetics, or something else. My hair was way thicker or so it felt in my early to mid twenties, not so much now eveb though it's shoulder length long .