Lllt + Minoxidil Improves Hair Diameter, Density Vs Minoxidil Alone

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
http://docdro.id/kltKHaA

Although a lot of people in this forum think that LLLT is worthless sh*t, more and more articles report at least its usefulness as an adjunt therapy.

[from methods section]
The case group received 20 drops of topical minoxidil 5% solution twice per day to use on their bald areas at home for six months plus 2–3 20‑minute sessions of low‑level light therapy (using LDU 8024PN/8024BN, made in Germany, with a 10‑50 mw power and a 785‑nm wavelength) per week for 24 weeks at Arman skin and hair center. The controls received only topical minoxidil 5% solution in the same manner as in the case group and were given a laser comb system that was switched off to act as a placebo. The number of low‑level light therapy/laser comb treatment sessions was determined as 2–3 according to the study protocol, but the majority of patients took part two times per week in the course of study.

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
not any great results in hair count though , it seems to do something but lasers are generally expensive and time consuming

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
even if spectacular gains are not attained, it is known that minoxidil tends to lose its effectiveness over time and LLLT being zero sides would be a good tool for stabilization/maintaining.

glen_jai

Reaction score
I could never be sure if it's doing much after months of use.
This study seems promising, and quite scientific too, unlike most of the marketing style ones I keep reading.
I have recently started to use my lasermax comb again (3 times a week).

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I could never be sure if it's doing much after months of use.
This study seems promising, and quite scientific too, unlike most of the marketing style ones I keep reading.
I have recently started to use my lasermax comb again (3 times a week).

As other forum users have pointed out, there seems to be a severity bias in here. In other words, those who have the most aggressive Androgenetic Alopecia are most likely to do the extra mile (out of desperation) and have an account here and frequently post their views. For those patients, LLLT is not going to do virtually anything. But for the average Androgenetic Alopecia case (most certainly the majority of the study population) LLLT could very well work at least a little, but we don't know; those people won't post anything.
That could explain the disparity between studies results and forum posts.

BaldAsshole

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started using LLLT for cognitive enhancement before I knew that it could be useful for hair loss and I experienced less inflammation in the scalp. No regrowth, obviously. Maybe a little more shedding at the beginning.

platelets

My Regimen
Reaction score
make sure you guys actually buy/make a laser device that has enough power. Most commercial products have less than a dozen laser diodes.

I built my own 50 diode laser, wasn't that hard at all. the instructions are @ overmachogrande.com

Last edited:

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
make sure you guys actually buy/make a laser device that has enough power. Most commercial products have less than a dozen laser diodes.

I built my own 50 diode laser, wasn't that hard at all. the instructions are @ overmachogrande.com

What was the wavelength of your homemade laser?

I couldn't find anything about the laser used in the German study. Is it a commercially available product?

platelets

My Regimen
Reaction score

I couldn't find anything about the laser used in the German study. Is it a commercially available product?

most commercial products are overpriced and under powered. It's much more effective to make your own

my device is powered by 5mW 650nm diodes, total cost was around $300 and time it took was around 6 hours

here is where I bought the diodes from.

http://overmachogrande.com/omg/page/supplies-laser-diodes

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm sorry, which German study?

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm open to being shot in the head with a ray gun. Crank those diodes up nice and hot for me bud

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
http://docdro.id/kltKHaA

Although a lot of people in this forum think that LLLT is worthless sh*t, more and more articles report at least its usefulness as an adjunt therapy.

[from methods section]
The case group received 20 drops of topical minoxidil 5% solution twice per day to use on their bald areas at home for six months plus 2–3 20‑minute sessions of low‑level light therapy (using LDU 8024PN/8024BN, made in Germany, with a 10‑50 mw power and a 785‑nm wavelength) per week for 24 weeks at Arman skin and hair center. The controls received only topical minoxidil 5% solution in the same manner as in the case group and were given a laser comb system that was switched off to act as a placebo. The number of low‑level light therapy/laser comb treatment sessions was determined as 2–3 according to the study protocol, but the majority of patients took part two times per week in the course of study.

I can personally attest to this!

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My error. I was referring to your post above, Iranian study, German laser. Couldn't find any info referenced on the discription number of that laser.

The device is old, that's why it can't be found. The LDU (Laserdusche "laser shower") 8024 series has 785 nm (invisible near infrarred) wavelength.
http://www.marcopolo-direct.com/pop_products_lasermkw8024_DE.php

It seems that red (hairmax 655 nm) and infrared wavelengths are somewhat similar in effectiveness.

wissywig

Reaction score
not any great results in hair count though , it seems to do something but lasers are generally expensive and time consuming

it's incredible that when there are a huge number of modalities out there that people try with only anecdotal evidence, LLLT is still regarded as something that's not efficacious and "time-consuming". 20 mins 3x/week is time consuming for a treatment that has clinical evidence that it works, and has literally no side effects?

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it's incredible that when there are a huge number of modalities out there that people try with only anecdotal evidence, LLLT is still regarded as something that's not efficacious and "time-consuming". 20 mins 3x/week is time consuming for a treatment that has clinical evidence that it works, and has literally no side effects?

yeah man I totally agree with you on this. Unfortunately I think that a good chunk of this forum users have aggressive Androgenetic Alopecia and LLLT will be useless for them. Even in mild Androgenetic Alopecia I think, it should be regarded as an adjunct or for maintenance only. The laser guy from OverMachoGrande is getting bald as f***, for example, most likely because is using LLLT as monotherapy and getting older.

how-to-use-this-site(400x225).gif

wissywig

Reaction score
yeah man I totally agree with you on this. Unfortunately I think that a good chunk of this forum users have aggressive Androgenetic Alopecia and LLLT will be useless for them. Even in mild Androgenetic Alopecia I think, it should be regarded as an adjunct or for maintenance only. The laser guy from OverMachoGrande is getting bald as f***, for example, most likely because is using LLLT as monotherapy and getting older.

how-to-use-this-site(400x225).gif

Good point. I still have enough hair where you can't tell my hair is thnning (with a little help from hair fibers). I had a minor hair transplant about 8 years ago around the hairline, and I remember the surgeon suggesting that I use LLLT while healing up. I did this with one of the old "stand up" units where you had to just sit under it, and I am pretty sure it helped, as the hair transplant area looks the same. Now I have thinning at the crown, and reading more on the subject recently, I think that LLLT, mechanotherapy and minoxidil are going to be my regimen for at least 12 months. I like OMG's wealth of info, but I agree; I don't believe that LLLT monotherapy is a good long-term strategy. But I did I get an OMG laser helmet about a month ago, so, I'm hoping that the combination is effective.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm just going to chime in here. Fighting hair loss requires multiple modes of treatment. Yes some people can only use finasteride or dutasteride but for most people and especially in the long-term you will need to target hair loss from multiple angles. So, as other posters have mentioned above, if you want to use a LLLT device make sure that it has enough power.

wissywig

Reaction score