Living Abroad With A Hairpiece For A While

Forgotmyoldlogin

My Regimen
Reaction score
As with many others on this forum, my hair loss is crippling me. As a NW5 I just turned 31 last week, single, haven't gotten laid in over 3 years and have 0 interest in dating, despite feeling very lonely at times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not depressed and I'm doing fairly well in the other departments, having lots of friends, tons of freedom (I'm self-employed and have a decent business going) and doing okay financially. Yet, despite having all those things, I can't get myself to date, because I just can't accept my looks.

I am diffusing really hard and have a big round balding spot with almost no hair, with a small tuft of hair on the front still standing strong. Like everyone else, I tried trimming it very short, but here is the issue: I HATE this look. I'm not a tough guy, I'm not a skinhead, and I don't have cancer. I understand that I'm stereotyping very hard here, but it's not just me, I literally had friends call me skinhead and it hurt.

I went to a hair clinic to look into hair transplants. Turns out I am not the best candidate, but it would be possible to get 2500 grafts, leaving another 2500 for a transplant 10 years down the line, which I would almost certainly need when hair loss continued on the sides. Just hearing these things made me worried, if a doctor already talks about a 2nd transplant and MHP, where is it gonna end?

What about a hair piece? At first, I was thinking never. No offense to people out there that have one, I actually came to realize that most of those are probably struggling with the idea as well, so they get my respect. I guess it just came from a childhood idea, where "wigs" were used to dress up and look like an idiot at carnivals. Or maybe it's because I'd feel less like a man, having to play dress up instead of owning my natural looks. And lastly, how would my friends react? They'd probably laugh their asses off, tell me I need to stop being a b**ch and man up. Everyone else that knows me in my town would instantly know I wore a wig as well. I'd be ridiculed everywhere.

That's how the idea slowly came about: why don't I just pack my suitcase, get a hair piece and go live somewhere else for a couple months, where nobody knows me, I can be a different person, and if something went wrong (people finding out or something) it wouldn't matter as I'd be gone in a few months anyway. I'd be able to find out how much it really affects me and how much my life is different. Maybe nothing changes, I'm still the same loser with (fake) hair and I come back even more depressed? (I know I said earlier I'm not depressed, I just don't like using the word depression lightly, as I think everyone has their demons and it's disrespectful towards people that really are rock bottom and see no way out. I do however think about my hair loss 200 times a day and it completely controls my life in a bad way). Or maybe life is awesome and I realize even more how much my hair loss fucked up everything?

What do you guys think? I'm sure some people out there must have thought about it or actually done it? Is it a stupid and immature idea?

The most ironic part about this is that I'm fantasizing about escaping my current life so i can "be myself" somewhere else, when in fact I'm doing the exact opposite, as I'd clearly "be someone else". Or maybe I just want to be the person I used to be? I have tons of other flaws that don't bother me a single bit, as I grew up with them and they make me who I am today. But this hair loss man, I just CANNOT seem to accept it :(.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
Don't do it.
You may have issues with passport discrepancy because of new look.

My friend had applied for Passport,for which he was given estimated time of verification.

He is norwood zero btw.

In the meantime,he visited Temple of Tirupati where head shaving is a ritual as hair is seen as a part of EGO,thus giving up hairs is seen in good faith.

Later he was ask to visit passport centre within 4/5 days.
So,now his passport has shaved head on it.

He is having lots of fun when he shows his passport to Officers in India plus UK as he got selected in Critical Care post MD fellowship by cracking UK exam.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
As with many others on this forum, my hair loss is crippling me. As a NW5 I just turned 31 last week, single, haven't gotten laid in over 3 years and have 0 interest in dating, despite feeling very lonely at times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not depressed and I'm doing fairly well in the other departments, having lots of friends, tons of freedom (I'm self-employed and have a decent business going) and doing okay financially. Yet, despite having all those things, I can't get myself to date, because I just can't accept my looks.

I am diffusing really hard and have a big round balding spot with almost no hair, with a small tuft of hair on the front still standing strong. Like everyone else, I tried trimming it very short, but here is the issue: I HATE this look. I'm not a tough guy, I'm not a skinhead, and I don't have cancer. I understand that I'm stereotyping very hard here, but it's not just me, I literally had friends call me skinhead and it hurt.

I went to a hair clinic to look into hair transplants. Turns out I am not the best candidate, but it would be possible to get 2500 grafts, leaving another 2500 for a transplant 10 years down the line, which I would almost certainly need when hair loss continued on the sides. Just hearing these things made me worried, if a doctor already talks about a 2nd transplant and MHP, where is it gonna end?

What about a hair piece? At first, I was thinking never. No offense to people out there that have one, I actually came to realize that most of those are probably struggling with the idea as well, so they get my respect. I guess it just came from a childhood idea, where "wigs" were used to dress up and look like an idiot at carnivals. Or maybe it's because I'd feel less like a man, having to play dress up instead of owning my natural looks. And lastly, how would my friends react? They'd probably laugh their asses off, tell me I need to stop being a b**ch and man up. Everyone else that knows me in my town would instantly know I wore a wig as well. I'd be ridiculed everywhere.

That's how the idea slowly came about: why don't I just pack my suitcase, get a hair piece and go live somewhere else for a couple months, where nobody knows me, I can be a different person, and if something went wrong (people finding out or something) it wouldn't matter as I'd be gone in a few months anyway. I'd be able to find out how much it really affects me and how much my life is different. Maybe nothing changes, I'm still the same loser with (fake) hair and I come back even more depressed? (I know I said earlier I'm not depressed, I just don't like using the word depression lightly, as I think everyone has their demons and it's disrespectful towards people that really are rock bottom and see no way out. I do however think about my hair loss 200 times a day and it completely controls my life in a bad way). Or maybe life is awesome and I realize even more how much my hair loss fucked up everything?

What do you guys think? I'm sure some people out there must have thought about it or actually done it? Is it a stupid and immature idea?

The most ironic part about this is that I'm fantasizing about escaping my current life so i can "be myself" somewhere else, when in fact I'm doing the exact opposite, as I'd clearly "be someone else". Or maybe I just want to be the person I used to be? I have tons of other flaws that don't bother me a single bit, as I grew up with them and they make me who I am today. But this hair loss man, I just CANNOT seem to accept it :(.

If you're norwood 5 with a small amount of hair left, you're better off going for a 5000 graft megasession and getting on propecia to protect and potentially grow back some native hair.

No reason to leave anything in the bank if you're virtually bald anyway, sounds like a way for the doctor to keep your expectations lower when he produces a sh*t result and he can blame it on the graft count and say he was being "economical".

Photos would help to judge your donor, but I definitely think a transplant and finasteride would be your best option. If you're the type to think of hairloss hundreds of times per day, you're probably the type to worry about whether your hairpiece looks funny 200 times per day too.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
Dear fellow hair loss sufferer and potential rug wearer.
I know how you feel, I've been in your shoes, although hair loss made me extremely depressed and I don't think you're at that point - yet. If you don't do something about it and keep living like before, you might get there, though.
I'm a woman that's been suffering from hair loss for nearly 5 years, and I now wear a hair piece. It took me a LOT of thought to get to that point. I tried pretty much everything to stop and hide my hair loss; medication, vitamins, concealers etc. but nothing worked... Eventually I got to the point where I no longer had a choice - it was the hair piece or death. For me shaving was never an option, as I am a woman. I didn't want to wear a regular wig either, as I would have hated having to take it off at the end of the day, a potential partner seeing me without my wig etc.
Wearing a rug is a huge commitment. It's a lot of work to maintain, not to mention it's expensive. For you being a man, there is also the huge social stigma around men wearing wigs. Prepare yourself to be a laughing stock, and constantly being afraid of being ''found out''
Can you really take all of this? It requires balls of steel and true commitment to go through with it, especially being a man.
Despite this, I'd say go for it, but only if you have the mental strength to handle the potential risks. Ask @WhitePolarBear about his dad, which has wore a hair piece for decades, but is still living in constant fear of being found out. Can you handle living life like that? If the answer is yes, what are you waiting for? A high quality piece is surely gonna make you look better, as it did for me. Going to a place were nobody knows you could be a good idea, as you could just leave that place if things get tough. Just know that this is not a walk in the park, it's not an easy fix. I would advice you to try everything else first, before you go the hair piece route. Good luck.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
Zircon,today my close friend had opportunity to Visit FrankFurt Germany.
He had studied in local school.
Don't even know how to speak proper English..
Still was critical resource of companies like Igate USA which later become Capgemini and now he joined Mercedez Benz in IT division.

Its not grammar that will make a person to top,its content or his offering that makes a person Important.

shookwun

Reaction score
As a NW5 you would need all 5000 grafts to give you reasonable coverage. Which results are almost entirely dependent on donor quality.

I hate male pattern baldness, i dont hate you. I hate the drastic measures we must endure to live seemingly retarded and borderline average lifes while still looking subpar.

I wore and hated it. send me photos of your hair - Sides, followed by back and I will give you a detailed responce of the pros and drawbacks.

The higher the norwood the easier it is to wear, but then again if you have grandpa NW7 sides that are thin. Nothing screams wig more then that.

Ideally you want strong and dense sides followed by temple peaks to give the illusion that the dead rat on your head is some what real.

THERE IS SO MUCH MORE TO WEARING THOUGH. besides those shitty youtube videos with techno music in the backround, there is so much involved to wearing. High maintenance that will make you a psychological rekt

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
I learnt one thing from Hairloss.
Never involve in things that have no profit/purpose.
Its 12.44 AM and preparing for sleep.

What is the purpose of your keyboard war?
I am curious to know!

Btw i was able to calm down a crowd of 50 angry relatives of a dead Surgery patient from another ward who was not even my patient.
I can easily calm you without a keyboard war.

Also i don't like word fighting because there are too much problems because of my nw6/7.

shookwun

Reaction score
Shook, do you think that the way you feel about this might be a side-effect from your grinding, intensely perfectionist personality? Guys who are more chill might feel differently about it, maybe they won't be as paranoid as you were.
No way.

it caused me so much distress. Within days the color started to bleed, and I went from a dark brown to dirty brown with blonde streaks. Which again I barely exposed my self to the sun to begin with. Spent most my time indoors.

None of those garbage UV products work and I tried multiple approaches including stock and chemical treatment from diffrent suppliers.

Every wig had different characteristics and never matched in color and density. First piece had no graduation while second had graduation but a thinning spot on the right hairline.

Constantly touching up the hairline with adhesive because it never stayed flush. could always feel the edge after a 6-12 hours of a new bond. Would routinely take showers and suddenly have one side of the hair piece flopping off. Not to mention waking up int he morning and randomely having the back of my piece come off.

Tried many approaches of tape + adhesive together all around.

I go to the gym every day and shower every day. if I cant do this then a piece is worthless to me.

Maybe if you work in a controlled enviroment with A/C all day and minimal swearing can it work. But if you want to have a life then not a chance.

Prepare to wear hats every where you go during the day so the sun and heat dont mess up your piece. Essentially you will become a hat and wig prisoner.

THEY NEVER MATCH YOUR OWN native hair.

I have wrote on this before
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/my-experience-with-a-wig.98327/

shookwun

Reaction score
I remember having people ask me if I dye my hair.
Bathroom mirrors are not an accurate representation of how you look.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=69897.jpg

fu7nezb.jpg

0.jpg

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look man, I'm a dark renegade bad boy bringing the people what they want but are prohibited by the tyrannical mods to have (great trolls). Think of me as Shah Ruhk Khan's character in 2017 hit Bollywood movie "Raees".

Shahruk khan though average in looks, has hair of Gods. The guy has teenage hairline and extraordinary density at 51.

herehairhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Moving abroad is easy if you are severely balding, as you are eligible for refugee status in most nations. You qualify for this status because you belong to a:

Particular social group – membership of a social group whose members share a common and innate characteristic that cannot be changed. This characteristic must be so fundamental to the identity or conscience of the members of the group that due to it the group and its members are perceived by the surrounding society as being different and separate from that society.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Btw i was able to calm down a crowd of 50 angry relatives of a dead Surgery patient from another ward who was not even my patient.
I can easily calm you without a keyboard war.

a level of social presence and power @zircon can only dream of

get rekt

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
His supreme relative down-calming skills were made possible only through the maltreatment and suffering of a thousand impoverished bhabhis.

bet saurabhadboi has more marriage proposals than you though

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
What of it, coke boy.

Coke boy?! That's actually similar to the standard of smack talk you'd get in a Bollywood film.

I was just making a little joke about the borderline schizoid thing, just that it can be interesting when someone has a vast array of hobbies.

shookwun

Reaction score
@Saurabhaj M.D approved

Everest college bridging and international transfer student

Former Graduate of University of Phenix online doctorate program :D

140627-glantz-embed3.jpg

hqdefault.jpg