Lisztman's Story

Lisztman

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just happened along this site after thinking about taking dutasteride, and looking for good forums where I can reference people's experience on this drug. It took me a while to decide to post this.
Anywho, getting started:

I am 20 years old, and male pattern baldness runs in the family, on both the mom's and dad's side. My oldest brother, whom I seem to resemble a lot genetically, has become very VERY bald in the past few years.

About a year or two ago, I started to notice that I was having significant amounts of hair left in the shower. After that, I had used minoxidil on and off, with little commitment to it. Sometimes I would notice a reduction in the amount of hair in the shower, and other times I would notice a significant jump. I have since stopped using it, and tried saw palmetto. I am kind of regretting this a bit.

Right now, I am at the initial stages of hairloss, with the M-shaped hairline creeping up higher and higher, as well as thinning at the vertex.
Right now, I am very financially constrained (school is expensive), and have been looking at various generic dutasteride supplements. I want to reduce this problem before it would be frivolous to attempt, so the sooner I get cracking, the better.

Additionally, my father is a pharmacist, whose job is basically to know the newest information about all drugs. So I have a higher than average level of understanding on the subject of pharmaceuticals which I have weaned off of him. Also, I might be fortunate to convince him to write me a prescription. ^_^

Well, that is all that I can think of to say right now.
Thanks to anyone who can propose ideas for what I should do, or even ask me questions.

Lisztman

Reaction score
What is the significance of Nizoral?
My dandruff isn't that bad actually. Just hair falling out. :p

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lisztman said:

look it up man, people get tired of repeating the same thing over and over

Lisztman

Reaction score
wangho75 said:
Lisztman said:

look it up man, people get tired of repeating the same thing over and over

I have looked it up.
All I see it being used as treatment for dandruff.

Pob

Reaction score
Lisztman: Nizoral is very effective at treating the dandruff and itching that is often assosciated with male pattern baldness. Topicals such as minoxidil can also increase these symptons and Nizoral is excellent at reducing them. It keeps your scalp in good shape which is an essential foundation for treating male pattern baldness. There's also good evidence that it's active ingredient can have a mild effect on regrowth. In the UK, the 2% version can be bought for about 10 bucks over the counter and a bottle lasts about 3 months.

If your scalp is unhealthy, then it's almost inevitable that any treatments you undertake will be less effective. It's a simple to use and cost effective addition to your regimen, which is why so many people here consider it essential.

Hope this helps.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The active ingredient in Nizoral, ketoconazole, is shown in studies to increase hair thickness. Also, it helps with microinflammation and oiliness.

And this is the #3 zillion# time it´s repeated here, but I know the info takes a long travel to get to people with farmaceutical knowledge above the average. :lol:

Pob

Reaction score
Hey c'mon, give the guy a break. He's new round here, and we want to encourage people to post not scare them away. He'll find his way round the boards soon, and anyway, nobody has to answer.

Lisztman

Reaction score
hey, thanks for putting up with me.
I may have above average pharmaceutical knowledge, but the effects you are talking about are dermatological, not pharmaceutical. ;-)

Anywho, once again, thanks. I will keep lurking around so as to avoid such ridiculous questions again.