LISTERINE for sebborea.... better believe it!

need_hair04

Reaction score
Been researching for a solution to my chronic dandruff/sebborea problem and I came across articles regarding listerine as being sold during the 30's and 40's as an anti-dandruff solution! I've researched this topic quite a bit and have read many reviews of people using this as a solution.
Supposidely it helps kill the fungus in people with extremely oily skin like myself on the scalp where it clogs the pores and keeps oil traped creating the effects of sebborea

I have yet to try this method and I will keep this post updated on my progress, just though all you guys should know about this if your like me and NOTHING is working.... ALSO AppleCidar Vinegar works in the same way however in a more powerful manner!!

Any comments??

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup if people 70 years ago say it works it must be true, no way they could be misinformed with all the scientific knowledge they had back then compaired to now, no way. Just bustin ya balls a bit :D

need_hair04

Reaction score
well tried it for the first time today and it seems to be working.... so far its less itching but nonethless SOME itch is still there, this may take several days before I get the full benefit of it but I'll update in a few days to a week to let you guys know.

By the way you got some smart sh*t to say dont bother postin it, I'm only tryin to help people out here with different remedies. SURE it was developed 70 years ago but it DID work and people TODAY use it and it works just as well. The only reason that isnt advertised for it anymore is because of its "sting" on the skin with application BUT this only means that its working by killing the bacteria.

I've tried everything out there : 2.5% selenium sulfide.. 2%nizoral... 4% coal tar, and every kind of T-Gel out there as well as Head and Shoulders. guess what NONE of it is working so I'm givin this a try and so far its working better than the rest!!

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Actually the listerine thing is pretty popular. Personally I think it's a great find need_hair04. Gotta luv those home remedies.

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
were you refering to me with that "smart sh*t" line?

I just thought it was weird that you had "better believe it!!!" in the title post if you didn't know if it worked. Like what were we supposed to believe? That someone else said it worked?

I do my best to post worthwhile stuff usually. I guess my post was pointless... but so is this thread until someone can say that listerine does work from personal use.

Sorry for any offense taken.

MH

polster

Reaction score
I've used the apple cide vinegar.. it works but then your skin gets used to it and its ineefictive again like all other crap tried! Make sure if you use Apple Cider Vinegar you use the Unrefined Organic one like Braggs Apple cider vinegar! The refined crap like Heanz is actually bad for your skin!

/polster

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
be sure to soak your brushes/combs in it too to kill any of the fungus that may have been trasfered to them and possibly back to your scalp.
BHD

need_hair04

Reaction score
interesting about the apple cidar vinegar!!.... so your saying that it works intitially then just stops working??? dont understand why it would do that since the vinegar is suppost to neutralize your scalp!
I've heard that some people soak their heads with half a cup of water and half a cup of the apple cidar vinegar then let it stay overnight... they would wear a shower hat or something overnight then shower it off because of the unpleasant smell in the morning. Supposidy this is support to be good for a maximum of 1 application a week even up to a month!

polster, please describe your application procedure

polster

Reaction score
need_hair04 said:
polster, please describe your application procedure

I have Seb Dermatitis which probably many on this forum have and so the theory is that the acidity within the vinegar will kill bacteria (yeast) and clear up your skin or scalp from dandruff/ seb dermatitis! They say using shampoos and soaps makes your skin alkaline and this is a haven for yeast to form and the acidity in apple cider vinegar will kill it...

I mixed 3 parts Raw apple cider vineger to 1 part filtered water and left it on the scalp ovenight with a shower cap. You have less itch and flakes the next day, but make sure to wash you scalp in the morning as the smell is kinda bad! I repeated this for a week and it definetally help control the dandruff, but eventually like eveything elese becomes ineefective. If you have seb dermatitits on the face like i do, I use cotton swabs with apple cider vinegar on the face!

I use Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar - Raw, Unfiltered, Organic which cost about $3 for 16oz. from whole foods or vitamin shoppe!
bacv.gif

I found a few things that help me but dont cure the problem! I noticed when I eat meat (especially red meat, like hamburgers) my scalp itches like a b**ch! So I rarely eat beef because of this.

This is my routine/ diet:

1. Drinking half body weight in ounces of water per day (180lb=90ounces water)
2. 2 table spoons per day of Udo's oil blend (essentail fatty acids (omega 3,6,9)
3. put jojoba oil on the scalp and face skin as it hydrates your skin and helps with dandruff!
4. cut down on meat and milk which are very bad for your skin because of all those hormones and steriods they feed cows! ...and if you read any book on healthy eating and skin problems they say red meat and milk is cause of lot of problems!
5. eat more green vegtables and fruits daily!
6. Use of a humidifier which help mosterize the skin which helps with dandruff and other skin problems!

/polster

need_hair04

Reaction score
thanks for the reply polster, that was pretty detailed.

For my situation I also seem to have sebborea however it is only limited to my scalp and not quite as severe as some have it with seb derm... so far the listerine seems to be helping but has not completely eliminated the itch but it is for the most part under control... this will take a bit of time for the listerine to work since I've only used it for 2 days!

As for the apple cidar, I'll keep a look out for that brand that you posted and IF the listerine looses effectivness or gets worse I'll give this a try and see what results I can achieve!

As for your diet, you seem to take care of yourself pretty well and I'm sure your new way of eating is only going to help your problem! I've also heard that adding a B-vitamin complex really helps with sebborea especially a higher dose of B6 specifically!!

thanks for the reply and I'll keep this post updated on any further success on the Listerine!