List Of Essential Items For Hair System Wearers

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve just had my first ever hair system fitted and I’d greatly appreciate advice from one and all:

It’d be great if someone (or everyone) would please post a list of essential items for maintence and cleaning - from the very obvious to things you’ve discovered or prefer to do your own way and why. I hope it might be helpful to other wearers.

It’d also be good to know your maintenance habits - such as brushing, pressing for firmness of hold and how often etc

Thank you all very much - any advice would be hugely appreciated!

George

Noah

Reaction score
Hi George

Must haves:

- glue and/or tape
- alcohol - ideally 99% isopropyl alcohol (surgical spirit)
- mirror - ideally a well-lit wall-mounted one plus a large hand-held one
- a brush with round plastic tips (to avoid catching the base)
- some spring clips
- mild shampoo - "for damaged or processed hair"
- colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner
- good quality conditioner
- leave-in conditioner with sunscreen

Optional extras:

- polystyrene head
- head band
- knot sealer
- scalp protector
- anti-perspirant

Personally I detach and reattach every week. The adhesives will certainly last longer than that, but I find that after about day 10 or 12 they start to mix with my scalp oils and become gungy, which makes the clean-up more difficult and time-consuming. With weekly clean-up the adhesives are still n good condition when I detach, so they come off cleanly and easily. Obviously it's also a nice feeling to have a fresh tight attachment at all times.

I just press my front lace into the glue with the side of a comb, and that works fine for me.

Noah

Robinson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi George

Must haves:

- glue and/or tape
- some spring clips

Why is colour correcting shampoo a must have? I've not heard this mentioned before.

Can you recommend some good mild shampoos, conditioners, and leave in conditioners to try?

Noah

Reaction score
If you are out in the sun much, the piece will get a bit of sun damage, especially if it is a darker colour. With black or dark brown hair it usually shows up as a reddish tinge. That can be a giveaway. The colour correcting shampoo or conditioner stops that happening, by adding a slight greenish tone (which usually seems to be described as "ash") which neutralises the reddishness. Fair hair has a similar although less acute issue with developing a brassy tinge, and it can be kept under control in the same way.

I don't dye my systems, but these colour correction products just keep the sun damage in check.

Wispy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are out in the sun much, the piece will get a bit of sun damage, especially if it is a darker colour. With black or dark brown hair it usually shows up as a reddish tinge. That can be a giveaway. The colour correcting shampoo or conditioner stops that happening, by adding a slight greenish tone (which usually seems to be described as "ash") which neutralises the reddishness. Fair hair has a similar although less acute issue with developing a brassy tinge, and it can be kept under control in the same way.

I don't dye my systems, but these colour correction products just keep the sun damage in check.

Are there images of this sun damage? I've never seen such, really.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sun damage is usually associated with a colour change as UV rays effect the unit. Any dryness can be countered and so can a colour change. The extent of it will depend on various factors but all pieces are prone to it

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Hi George

Must haves:

- glue and/or tape
- some spring clips

Optional extras:

- polystyrene head
- head band
- knot sealer
- scalp protector
- anti-perspirant

Personally I detach and reattach every week. The adhesives will certainly last longer than that, but I find that after about day 10 or 12 they start to mix with my scalp oils and become gungy, which makes the clean-up more difficult and time-consuming. With weekly clean-up the adhesives are still n good condition when I detach, so they come off cleanly and easily. Obviously it's also a nice feeling to have a fresh tight attachment at all times.

I just press my front lace into the glue with the side of a comb, and that works fine for me.

Noah
it makes the cleanup from the lace easier, but what about the scalp? isn't fresh glue more difficult to clean away from scalp skin?