Lipoatrophy from Avodart

Chipper

Reaction score
The sunkin in or hollow look on the right side of my face, im positive is lipoatrophy caused by Avodart!!!

Chipper

Reaction score
to Aplunk1

Soon after i started avodart, i noticed my skin became extremely dry(when its noramlly oily), pimples were dried up and scabs were not healing and was forming keloid scars. Soon after i noticed a pinkish discoloration on the righ side of my face. I didnt think anything of it because none of this is on the side effects list. My skin became a very white pale color. After 7 months, i noticed wrinkling, rashes on my upper lip that is now prescribed to be dermatitis, and the little pinkish colored place on my face is becoming more noticeable. Now, i know all of this isn't just gonna start happening for no apparent reason. Well lets see, i just started taking avodart with works be eliminating dht from the SKIN!! And i am having skin problems now...Still with none of these listed in the avodart side effects, i continued using it because my hair was looking amazing and i didnt have the oily skin anymore. I noticed tingling or numbness in my left hand that never used to be. Another few months went by and the wrinkles were getting worse and my facial skin looked like it was thinning and looseing its structure or strenght.Then under certain lighting, i noticed how the right side of my face is sunk in, hollow looking, and that look completely older and different than on the left side of my face.

I just soon came across Lipoatrophy and it seems to be exactly what i have on the right side of my face. I know that avodart works by blocking dht in the skin. It does that by eliminating dht in the hair follicle. And where is the hair follicle located? Deep in the skin where the subcutaneous fat is located. I've seen a few docs and they all told my i have high cholesterol in my blood. All of these things never before until i started avodart.

High bad cholesterol is a sign of lipoatrophy. The fat that is supposed to be in my cheek is going in my blood instead. The drug is altering the way fat goes in your body. Also testosterone play a big role in Lipoatrophy.

I could go on and on. NO wonder they cancelled in in phase 2 for hair loss.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'm very sorry.

I understand that a lot of new pharmaceuticals have unwanted side effects in SOME people...

How long were you on Avodart, and what do you suggest to current Avodart users?

Blood tests?

Chipper

Reaction score
thanks

I was on avodart for 16months, then got on it for 1 month and a half 9 months later to see if the side effects would come again and they did.

As important as hair is to us guys, premature aging, numbness in my hand, thousands of scars, wrinkles, dermatitis, extremely dry skin, shrunken prostate, lipoatrophy, is what your risking to get if you take an FDA unapproved drug as avodart.

Now im screwed and all i can think about is wanting to die..

powersam

Reaction score
avodart is not 'fda un-approved' , its just not approved specifically for use with hairloss. doesnt mean its not safe for the human body, and i do not recall any previous cases of lipoatrophy being reported. this drug has been out on the market for quite some time now and if it could cause a problem such as that it would have done so before. and whats wrong with a shrunken prostate?

they cancelled phase 2 because they didnt think they'd take enough money out of the propecia market to cover the trial.

i'm sorry you have developed this condition, but i doubt its due to avodart. if it is, there will have to be some other factor involved. are you on any other medication?

G

He´s theory is quite good Sam.. He got an alergic reaction to this drug.
People can die when being hit by a bee then why not dutasterid...

Dont worry chipper,, u will get your skin and fat back after the body regulate itself again.. but it can take some time!!
Try live a healthy life!!!

Goingat20

Reaction score
hey Chipper sorry to hear about your troubles. Dont let it get you down, a couple of months and everything will be back in action. Ive been on avo for nearly 2 years with no sides. But hair hasnt got that much better :-x

powersam

Reaction score
ok i did a bit of reading on lipoatrophy because this is quite a serious issue and i wouldnt want to take it lightly. but from what i've read it just doesnt seem plausible that there would be any connection between the dutasteride and the lipoatrophy. it seems to be more of a fat metabolising problem rather than anything to do with androgens. the changes in your skin are due to changes in sebum through the use of dutasteride to alter androgen levels, and wont affect other things.

questions - are you on any anti-HIV medication? i'll assume no to this one
- have you had your triglyceride levels checked?
- how old are you?

but fark, the more i read on this the more connections i see between it and type 2 diabetes. nothing to do with dutasteride i'm afraid but interesting to me personally, due to my eccentric theories.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is your crazy theory linked with diabetes??

Oh, I don´t want to hijack this thread, this is serious issue, but could you open a new one with a brief explanation?? (If I´m not asking too much)

Thanks in advance...

Chipper

Reaction score
response

All i know is, right after starting the drug for two weeks i noticed a dramatic change in my skin. After being on avodart two months i noticed a pinkish colored area on the right side of my face. It continued to get worse. After 8 months on the drug, i found out something was wrong.. I don't have HIV and i havent been on any other medication what so ever except minocycline or doxycycline which are just antibacterials for acne. But i didnt start those drugs until after i noticed the skin problems.

Testosterone does play a part in lipoatrophy from what i've read. And a lack of testosterone can lead to the problem.

I dont know the answer but avodart is the only drug i can blame it on. I mean, i got other skin problems from it as well.

Avodart works from blocking dht in the hair follicle. The hair follicle is located in the sebaceous glands, the source to where the fat cells are produced. It does add up in many ways.

powersam

Reaction score
any family history of high cholesterol or diabetes?

Chipper

Reaction score
No

No, my dad is in his 60s and doing well.
3 of my grandparents lived to be in their 80's and 90's.
No one in my immediate family is a diabetic as far as i know.

I' ve had several blood test, none of them said i was a diabetic.