Link between DHT and libido

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello experts!

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the link is between DHT and libido. I've been taking finasteride for 3-4 weeks now and have noticed absolutely no effect on my sex drive, yet some people swear they've gone completely limp.

Now for the sake of argument let us put aside all the psychological factors involved with taking a drug that you've heard MAY cause you to lose your sex drive. With that aside, has anyone read any studies on DHT and libido? Is there a direct link?

If not, what DOES influence libido directly, is it testosterone? Or is a man's mojo (I have to stop saying libido) such a complex combination of physical and psychological factors that it can't be explained by just looking at the levels of a couple of hormones?

Thanks for any info in advance!

VWdude

Reaction score
I know this is not the type of answer that you are looking for... However, I do think it's all in the head. Think of it like this...you are having sex with a hot girl then all of a sudden she turns into a fat blob thats hairy and is just disgusting! what happens? you loose wood. I think the fact that you know that you are taking propecia and its potential side effects triggers something that subconciously that makes you feel as if you have a decreased sex drive. I'm sure that this is not the case for some people and that there is some sort of chemical reactions happening that we are not aware of.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Its not something thats in your head man. People do experience (sometimes significant) libido side effects, although most do not. I had a relative drop off of libido when I first started it but it soon came back with a vengence. Sometimes people don't ride it out long enough to over come it and get off the drug all together.

VWdude

Reaction score
Very true, but in some cases there could be a few select amount of people who do show side effects only because it is on their mind, where as if it was not they wouldn't have... but what he's really asking for is what is the scientific explanation behind the lowering of the libido... has it ever been properly explained?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the original tread wa sabout a link between DHT and libido.

But ISnt Teste responsible for sex drive after puberty?..and not DHT rite....

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
when I first started it but it soon came back with a vengence. Sometimes people don't ride it out long enough to over come it and get off the drug all together.

How long did it last for you ShedMaster?

I am into week 5 of 1.25mg Proscar and I can definitely say I have lost my morning wood and experiencing less sex drive. When I ejaculate, lesser amount of sperms are coming out.

Should I reduce dosage? :(

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
chewbaca said:
I think the original tread wa sabout a link between DHT and libido.

But ISnt Teste responsible for sex drive after puberty?..and not DHT rite....

Correct. I am trying to find out if anyone knows of studies of the actual influence of DHT on the libido. Let's not let this turn into "is it all psychological or not?". We have plenty of those discussions!!!

Norwood2.5

Established Member
Reaction score
too bald too furious said:
I am into week 5 of 1.25mg Proscar and I can definitely say I have lost my morning wood and experiencing less sex drive.

Should I reduce dosage? :(
Well, going to 1 mg every other day worked for me to get morning wood and libido back. It took around 10 days for them to disappear after starting treatment and around 10 days for them to come back after reducing dose.

G

I affects people in different ways. It did affect me for about the first two weeks but not in sex drive. in feeling. Then I was like a bull in a china shop for nine months until another small blip where I could not get it up for a few days. Since then no problems at all.