Link between balding and weight

Balding and weight

• Balding and overwieght

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GeminiX

Reaction score
Way overweight here, but I think it's my glands and nothing to do with the fast food, curry, pies and pizza I've eaten over the last decade :)

D

G

If you are overweight and suffering from male pattern baldness you will almost defintely bald quicker.

drinkrum

Reaction score
The fat molecule goes into the blood, signs a pact with the DHT man, and starts to eat all the follicle's nutrients.

D.

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
i thought this poll was saying if bald people were overweight, underweight, or normal. i answered this question wrong but i don't know, for some reason a bald person just looks kind of out of shape to me even if they're not overweight.

G

Dr. Paul Straub presented a paper that showed abdominal fat generates 10x more dht than those without any abdominal fat. So yes, there is absolutely a connection between balding and being fat. However, you do have to have DHT sensitivity. You can weigh 600 lbs and generate all of the DHT you can, but still not lose any hair if you don't have the sensitivity to that DHT.

"Summary: Dr. Straub's second speech focused on why so many overweight men are balding. Most of us have heard of the stereotype of the "fat, bald guy" like Danny Devito. So why is that so many fat men are also bald? Is it coincidence or is it chemistry? Interestingly, scientific evidence has now shown us that body type does play a significant role in the balding process. Most educated hair loss patients know that the enzyme 5 alpha reductase converts Testosterone into DHT which has been shown to be a major contributing factor towards hair loss. However, recent research has shown that excessive abdominal fat produces 10 times as much DHT as a healthy, lean body.

Furthermore, research shows us that abdominal fat is unique. Low abdominal fat equals low circulating dihydrotestosterone while excessive abdominal fat equals high a level of circulating dihydrotestosterone. No other fat on the body has been shown to do this! We must ask the questions: Can we control hair loss through abdominal fat reduction strategies like weight loss and liposuction? The three key factors we've identified as affecting hair loss are: heredity, aging, and abdominal obesity. Heredity and aging cannot be controlled, but body fat can and each hair loss sufferer must work hard to lose any additional abdominal fat to slow down his hair loss.

Dr. Straub speculated that a possible triad exists between abdominal obesity , crown balding, and coronary heart disease.

My hair loss started five years before my older brothers. I was significantly overweight in my early twenties while he had very little body fat. I began to wonder if the excessive abdominal fat had triggered my hair loss to start earlier than it might normally have. Dr. Straub's presentation allowed me to consider this possibility. I can't turn back time, but I can encourage others to ensure they stay fit and lean to reduce circulating DHT in their bodies."

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had posted topics before on balding and wieght issues. For some reason people have trouble beleiving me or ridiculing

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My random mumblings and theories are based on deep thoughts and observation.

But i cant seem to understand, I am extrememly thin, no body fat and weigh only 50 KG at age 24. But why am i having hairloss?

G

chewbaca said:
My random mumblings and theories are based on deep thoughts and observation.

But i cant seem to understand, I am extrememly thin, no body fat and weigh only 50 KG at age 24. But why am i having hairloss?

Because you are genetically disposed to male pattern baldness - you cannot accept this can you?

Being under weight or overweight does not 'cause' male pattern baldness it just may excerbate it.

Read the study again, properly this time.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
8 underweight
8 overweight
16 right smack in the middle.

You can't get a more even distribution than that. No connection.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Very very interesting material that you quoted there Neil! I've always wondered if there was a link between obesity and balding. What you've shared here makes allot of sense. Hmmm...guess that it also makes more sense for me to get back into my workout routine:)

Biostudent

Reaction score
neiltom88, thank you for that article. Very helpful indeed, but can you please point out to me where i can read further on that topic. Once again thanks for sharing!!

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The q now on my mind is according to the poll how come so many people who are underwight are balding?

G

chewbaca said:
The q now on my mind is according to the poll how come so many people who are underwight are balding?

Being underweight or over weight does not 'cause' male pattern baldness, you really have to start realising this.