Limited donor capacity with FUE?

htrookie

Reaction score
Hi,

i'm seriously considering getting a FUE. the thing is however, i'd definetively need a huge amount of grafts (>2000). is it correct, that compared to a strip , with a FUE there are only less grafts available (even if you would do a 3 day session). furthermore, usually one says, that using a strip, an average man has a total donor capacity of about 5000-6000 grafts. does that also apply to the fue-method?
according to bernstein, the Maximum follicular unit graft yield is lower than with a FUT (http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-tr ... action.php) (FUT=strip?)
other doctors say however, that since you can harvest from all around the donor area the total amount of available grafts would be even higher compared to the strip method.

in short:
1.) where could you get more grafts in one operation: strip or fue (3 day session)
2.) which one would offer you a higher amount of grafts in Total! Strip 6000, FUE?

Thank you for reading this, i'd definitevly appreciate your comments.

hair transplant Rookie

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
htrookie said:
Hi,

i'm seriously considering getting a FUE. the thing is however, i'd definetively need a huge amount of grafts (>2000). is it correct, that compared to a strip , with a FUE there are only less grafts available (even if you would do a 3 day session). furthermore, usually one says, that using a strip, an average man has a total donor capacity of about 5000-6000 grafts. does that also apply to the fue-method?
according to bernstein, the Maximum follicular unit graft yield is lower than with a FUT (http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-tr ... action.php) (FUT=strip?)
other doctors say however, that since you can harvest from all around the donor area the total amount of available grafts would be even higher compared to the strip method.

in short:
1.) where could you get more grafts in one operation: strip or fue (3 day session)
2.) which one would offer you a higher amount of grafts in Total! Strip 6000, FUE?

Thank you for reading this, i'd definitevly appreciate your comments.

hair transplant Rookie

Depends. If you going for fue because you intend to buzzcut in future, you may not like to deplete the donor too much. 3000 will be a safe number in my guess.

htrookie

Reaction score
Rwt_Raj said:
Depends. If you going for fue because you intend to buzzcut in future, you may not like to deplete the donor too much. 3000 will be a safe number in my guess.

hi, thanks for your reply. what do you mean with 3000? would this be the TOTAL number of available grafts using the FUE? or only for one 3-day-session?

t_awry

Reaction score
FUE allows for more leeway in what "can" be harvested; the potential donor is expanded quite a bit. Where do you draw the line in how "creative" you get with extractions is up to your doctor and you, and is a discussion that should be discussed in detail.

The best plan for maximizing overall donor, imo, is to strip yourself out, and then FUE yourself out, going as aggressive as you want. A recent example is a guy, PB, who was stripped out and recently had a 700 FUE session, and is expected to get another 700 at a later date. And he has a sub-par donor.

You can get more grafts in a session w/ FUT; well, you could prolly' get more w/ FUE in theory, but the problem lies in the nature of the procedures. FUE is astoundingly delicate and labor intensive, and thus time consuming.

FWIW, the only mega-FUE clinic that I would have a shred of confidence in trusting w/ my mop in a mondosession (let's define this as <2k) would be Dr. Ilter's clinic (Bverotti from the forums works with them).

Armani I would probably have to get paid for; how much, I am not sure, but it would depend upon how many grafts he would be attempting to harvest, and me simply devising a worth for what my grafts individually mean to me.

htrookie

Reaction score
t_awry said:
FUE allows for more leeway in what "can" be harvested; the potential donor is expanded quite a bit. Where do you draw the line in how "creative" you get with extractions is up to your doctor and you, and is a discussion that should be discussed in detail.

The best plan for maximizing overall donor, imo, is to strip yourself out, and then FUE yourself out, going as aggressive as you want. A recent example is a guy, PB, who was stripped out and recently had a 700 FUE session, and is expected to get another 700 at a later date. And he has a sub-par donor.

You can get more grafts in a session w/ FUT; well, you could prolly' get more w/ FUE in theory, but the problem lies in the nature of the procedures. FUE is astoundingly delicate and labor intensive, and thus time consuming.

FWIW, the only mega-FUE clinic that I would have a shred of confidence in trusting w/ my mop in a mondosession (let's define this as <2k) would be Dr. Ilter's clinic (Bverotti from the forums works with them).

Armani I would probably have to get paid for; how much, I am not sure, but it would depend upon how many grafts he would be attempting to harvest, and me simply devising a worth for what my grafts individually mean to me.

hi t_awry, thanks for your detailed comments. do you have to start with a strip in order to maximize your overall donor? or can you also start with a FUE, and then, if needed, use the strip method? what would you think would be the maximum amount of grafts if you are only using FUE? you would consider an operation with more than 2000 grafts a mondosession? i'm asking this, because i read about some guys who got 3000 grafts and more with only one session.

thanks,

hair transplant Rookie

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
htrookie said:
Rwt_Raj said:

hi, thanks for your reply. what do you mean with 3000? would this be the TOTAL number of available grafts using the FUE? or only for one 3-day-session?

A safe total graft no. in a 2 or 3 day session is what I meant. If you intend to buzzcut and go for 6000 by fue, the donor may look thin.

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
htrookie said:
do you have to start with a strip in order to maximize your overall donor? or can you also start with a FUE, and then, if needed, use the strip method? what would you think would be the maximum amount of grafts if you are only using FUE? you would consider an operation with more than 2000 grafts a mondosession? i'm asking this, because i read about some guys who got 3000 grafts and more with only one session.

thanks,

hair transplant Rookie

Thats a simple one. Start with fue, retain all the options.
There are guys that have got 5000 or even 10,000 grafts from head, beard and body. I havent heard of a 10,000 graft from the head alone.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think Berstein does FUE, so I would imagine he'd tell you strip no matter what. I would think the number of grafts you could harvest either way are about equal. FUE is more time consuming, more expensive, but less invasive.

htrookie

Reaction score
Thanks guys, especially to you Rwt_Raj :bravo: so besides the money issue, you would also see no severe disadvantages having a FUE, compared to getting a strip? as there is always the problem of further hairloss (even if you take propecia), what would you think about getting the crown treated first? how would you think about the risk of loosing the remaing hair in this area. could this cause some major problems later on? what would you think is the best point in time to take care of the crown?

thanks,

hair transplant Rookie

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
htrookie said:
Thanks guys, especially to you Rwt_Raj :bravo: so besides the money issue, you would also see no severe disadvantages having a FUE, compared to getting a strip? as there is always the problem of further hairloss (even if you take propecia), what would you think about getting the crown treated first? how would you think about the risk of loosing the remaing hair in this area. could this cause some major problems later on? what would you think is the best point in time to take care of the crown?

thanks,

hair transplant Rookie

You are most welcome. I got great advise on these sites and anyway I can help is a way of payback. :)
However, I am not too experienced about crown area as I never had any hair thinning there. The only thing I know is, if you get the crown filled, be prepared for future sessions if you lose more hair around it. If you want to shave instead of going for more hair transplant in the worst eventuality, you WILL need to wetshave the head. Buzz cut to a no. 1 will not look natural enough if theres an island of hair in the swirl.

htrookie

Reaction score
ok, i see. i'm afraid, i guess i still have some more general questions on this.

1.) a lot of guys are talking about having a long term plan for your hair. what do they mean by this exactly (except being conservative with your hairline/density at your first hair transplant)? although taking propecia and regaine, you can't be sure whether/where/when your hair will fall out eventually. i suppose, no matter in which area you get your first hair transplant, you will face the danger of loosing the hair around it, don't you?

2.) that followed, assuming you have a overall donor capacity of roundabout 5000 grafts, could that still be enough to get a decent coverage if most of the other hair has fallen out. (with a low density and conservative hairline as a matter of course)

3.) most people also say that one should wait at least 10-12 months after you have started with propecia before getting a hair transplant. does that also apply, if you have a kind of gradual hairloss? i mean, generally spoken i assume my hairline will not look much different one year from now on, despite the propecia. would it nevertheless be recommendable to wait?

thanks,

hair transplant rookie

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
Depending on your norwood, you could have anywhere from 2000-20000 donor hairs from the "donor region" I had 5000, and my Doctor said I could get another 5000 just from that area, so it all depends. Long term plan means knowing what you should expect from your age, donor hair available, and coverage for future. Alot of this is an older look an hair transplant in my opinion, especailly due to the advances of beard, body, and nape hair transplant success. I think Rwt_Raj would agree with me on this. You do face danger losing hair around new hair, so you have to know your limits.

I took propecia for two weeks after 3rd hair transplant, worst two weeks of my life. I would rather spend 50k on FUT/FUE/BHT in the future than swallow another 0.0001mg of propecia, but thats part of MY plan, and doesn't necessarily have to be yours.

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
htrookie said:
ok, i see. i'm afraid, i guess i still have some more general questions on this.

1.) a lot of guys are talking about having a long term plan for your hair. what do they mean by this exactly (except being conservative with your hairline/density at your first hair transplant)? although taking propecia and regaine, you can't be sure whether/where/when your hair will fall out eventually. i suppose, no matter in which area you get your first hair transplant, you will face the danger of loosing the hair around it, don't you?

2.) that followed, assuming you have a overall donor capacity of roundabout 5000 grafts, could that still be enough to get a decent coverage if most of the other hair has fallen out. (with a low density and conservative hairline as a matter of course)

3.) most people also say that one should wait at least 10-12 months after you have started with propecia before getting a hair transplant. does that also apply, if you have a kind of gradual hairloss? i mean, generally spoken i assume my hairline will not look much different one year from now on, despite the propecia. would it nevertheless be recommendable to wait?

thanks,

hair transplant rookie

If you want to start minoxidil and finasteride, better give them 6 months trial before going for a transplant.
Everyone doesnt proceed to a norwood 6. Its best to keep the worst case in mind, nonetheless.
That is why I say go for fue first when transplanting. That keeps your options open.