Let’s talk hair pigmentation and hair loss

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
Myself: light blonde hair in my teens, turning into dark blonde in my 20s. Black beard and body hair
Needlessly to say androgens increase the black body and beard hair and decrease scalp hair and vice versa with progestins/estrogen.
I have seen black haired dudes claim regrowth with pics from exogenous androgens before.
This begs the question if we can turn the remains of our non androgenic childhood (our vanishing hair) into androgenic hair somehow? I am sure we can’t but I just wanted to bring that up.
It seems to me also that dark haired guys go bald later/less often (my older brother and me are examples)

observation 2 is concerning early greying and baldness. I have brozght this up in another forum with many posters agreeing with me: (white?) dudes who go grey early have great hairlines. Every guy in his 20s who is already greying is nw0-1. i do not think I have ever seen a young person Norwood 2-4 with greying hair. Balding guys go grey when they are old. Consider that young greying men almost (?) always have black hair, too, but it might just be more visible in them due to contrast.
This is weird considering both greying and balding are seen as degenerative processes.

thoughts or threads on these topics, on greying, pigmentation and on androgenization of scalp hair?

Loife

My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely think that there is some link between hair pigmentation and hair loss st least in caucasian men, how often do you see a middle aged blond or especially ginger man with good hair? It's so rare.

I was reading about how people with ginger and perhaps blond/lighter brown hair have thinner skin which I think may be a factor. Plus the area we lose hair predominantly is the thinnest part of the scalp, with women having thicker scalp layers.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had pretty dark hair yet my hair turned dark brown after hair loss

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr. Tobin gave an interesting presentation covering this. The audio is terrible, so it's not easy to make out, but it's worth the effort. You can skip to 9:45 for the explanation on graying versus balding.

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
shouldn't it be theoretically possible to change the scalp follicles into follicles growing androgenic, beard like hair instead? that would be the jackpot: androgens + hair.

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had pretty dark hair yet my hair turned dark brown after hair loss
how are we supposed to grasp this as an increase in androgens (dht) activity? in my case I got darker hair while balding, but also got overall more masculine.
what is your beard/body hair like in comparison to scalp hair?

shouldn't balding always result in darker hair if it was all about DHT and androgens?

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
shouldn't it be theoretically possible to change the scalp follicles into follicles growing androgenic, beard like hair instead? that would be the jackpot: androgens + hair.
that would be a dream come true

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
can we grasp hair color as basically androgen tolerance?

blonde, ginger = low androgen tolerance
brown = medium
black = high
grey= infinite

can we grow beard hair on our scalp?
has anyone actually tried putting androgens on his scalp long term?

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
how are we supposed to grasp this as an increase in androgens (dht) activity? in my case I got darker hair while balding, but also got overall more masculine.
what is your beard/body hair like in comparison to scalp hair?

shouldn't balding always result in darker hair if it was all about DHT and androgens?
androgens have the opposite effect on head hair

CrownOnly

My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely think that there is some link between hair pigmentation and hair loss st least in caucasian men, how often do you see a middle aged blond or especially ginger man with good hair? It's so rare.

55 year old Pitt:

NINTCHDBPICT000562001436.jpg

45 year old Leo:

Leonardo_Dicaprio_Cannes_2019.jpg

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. they are hollywood actors who spend hundreds of thousands, possibly millions on their faces. they live in another world
2. i sort of agree with you that it's not that rare. what is rare, however, is to see a blonde man with significantly darker eyebrows and beard who has keeps a full head. so again we are at this body/facial hair vs scalp hair and pigmentation/androgenization topic. literally any blonde man who keeps hair has very light coloring all throughout his body. di caprio coloring isn't that bright, but so is his hair. beard and hair are matched if you look at other pictures

darker facial/body hair than scalp hair = hair loss

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
isn't most regrowth people achieve from non-contra-androgens (minoxidil, dermaroller whatever) also described as being darker than the colour they usually have? this would indicate that some form of androgenization of the follicle happens which keeps them healthy

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some genes associated with increased baldness are associated with lighter hair, some with darker hair. And some are associated with baldness but not hair color, and vice versa. So some of the mechanisms that cause baldness also make your hair lighter, some make it darker, and some have no effect. There's no definite rule.