Lessons You’ve Learned During Your Hair System Journey

pubehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been wearing for about 3 months now & I’ll start off with a couple of mine:

- new systems require a couple days/weeks sometimes to really start to look right. don’t get too down about it if it’s not looking the way you want it at first cause it takes time for the system to lose that “fresh out the box” look & they have to be kind of trained to start to style the way you want.
- when removing the system it is absolutely CRUCIAL that you get enough solvent on the bond to remove the glue/tape easily. today I made the mistake of pulling the system off when it wasn’t ready & I ripped my system & also pulled a bunch of the hair through the base.
- quality products pay off over the long run. if you use shampoo/conditioner you got off the shelf at the walgreens for $5 then expect $5 results
- learn to DIY. why spend $150 a month on your stylist when you can buy the materials you need to remove/clean/reapply your system yourself? this forum and Curtis from The Hair Experience have been my main sources of info when it comes to hair systems
- most hair products will wear your system out. try & see if you can accomplish the look you want through leave-in conditioner, water, & combing
- new system poofiness can be mitigated by wetting your hair, styling it the way you want, & throwing a cap on (thank you Noah)

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I don't know if it is absolutely CRUCIAL not to get any pull-through. Do you really stop using a system because it has lost too much hair? I think it's mostly because the hair has started to look too bad (dry and faded), no? Or maybe not.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Absolutely! Enjoy it and don't overly stress about little things.

And I will add, if you have to think about it on a daily basis, you might be doing something wrong.

At this point, between attachments, I don't think about it, it's hair. I get up every morning, rinse it if I need to, after breakfast it gets a spray of leave-in container, and a brushing or finger-combed.

I spend 0 time thinking about my hair during the day.

Last edited:

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have to say my biggest thing is, don't mess with it too much. I was always big on trimming the hairline every time I saw a little bare Polly. By doing so you often speed up the shedding process at the hairline..... and in all reality unless it's a significant amount of poly. . when you glue it down, it's going to disappear anyway.

Also I learned do not scratch your head.... if anything, atleast put a towel or cloth on your head and scratch that. I learned that the hard way... ended up with a bare spot in a hurry