Lessons Learnt From 2 Months of Wearing

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First a HUGE thanks to @Noah in particular for all the tips when I first started. There were a few times where I had no idea how to fix the issue I was having and he really helped me out. Also a few of the techniques I use I have picked up from trawling through the posts on here.

So this is a list of things I have learnt in my first few months of wearing.

Things I would highly recommend:
(1) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382735356302?var=651461602428 - Silk Ribbon Scarf
(2) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X2JXJBT/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_dp_1 - Acrylic brushes
(3) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/224722829096?mkevt=1&mkcid=16&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&media=GMAIL&sojTags=media=media
(4) https://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-Back-View-Mirror-three-sided/dp/B08SR6J72C/ - 360 Mirror.
Any kind of headband
Cheap Water Flosser
Exfoliating glove

Taking The System off:
So for this I take one of the acrylic brushes and start applying IPA to the very front and apply pressure to the hair but DO NOT pull hard. It takes a little while to release.
Once the front is free, I continue using the brush while dipping it in alcohol and apply it directly to the tape as I go round.
I prefer the tape stuck to the base as it's easier to remove it well with the system off and stop hair pulling through. Also doesn't result in excess use of alcohol dripping from your head.
Once the system is off I take (3) and use that to get the tape off the base.
Just need to get one edge free by slowly peel it off with alcohol. I then continue to peel off very little then apply more IPA. Again it's more about applying pressure to the tape than pulling it off to ensure no hairs are pulled through.

Cleaning the system:
I know people say that alcohol is best but I found IPA de-activates the glue but doesn't break it down for easy removal which is why I use C-22.
Once the system is off I take C-22 and spray BOTH sides of the front with it.
Then just pinch the lace for around 1-2 min getting the C-22 into the knots.
Then point the water flosser so that it's almost parallel to the lace and with my hand behind the lace force the glue outwards to the edge.
If it gets stuck in the hair then I use a fine tooth comb to get it out.
Repeat this process around 2-3 times working on one area at a time.
Once that's done I shampoo the system around 2-3 times and then condition it.
To shampoo it I do both the lace side and hair side and then rinse it out folded in half with the water just on the lace side. Paying particular attention to the front of the unit.
Then I use Aussie conditioner leave it for around 5 mins, rinse it and it's good to go.

Cleaning my head:
After wetting my head, I use C-22 on an exfoliating glove and rub it well.
After that I use this soap (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bronners-Organic-Lavender-Castile-Liquid/dp/B000HK1ON0/)
With the C-22 still there I rub that soap on with the exfoliating glove. Then rinse.
Repeat that one more time and it's normally all clear.
Lastly do one last round with just the soap.
After shaving the head I personally apply a mixture of honey, tumeric, green tea and coffee to any inflamed areas. Leave for around an hour then rinse off. Sorts it right out!

Placing the system on:
I use Walkers Ultra Hold Tape for the perimeter and Mity-Tite glue for the front.
For the front I use small piece of blue front lace tape around 1cm from the front and this is just to anchor it.
For placing the system a template is VERY useful. So just take your system lace side up and put it on a mannequin and make a template of the lace with cling film and cellotape. It won't match your head contour but it's just a guide.
I then place the template on my head and line it up with the 360 mirror. Playing close attention to the temples, back and sides.
Then with a SOFT eyeliner pencil mark draw a line marking the front.
Next I apply two thin layers of walkers sport scalp protector JUST WHERE THE TAPE GOES and wait for it to fully dry ;-)
Now I place the system on my head and line up the front to what I marked. I always seems to need to adjust it from this position for some reason but I ensure the sides are straight, it's not too far back and the front makes sense given the markings I made. I lift all the hair up in sections and ensure alignment is on point.
Once I am happy it is all aligned I lift up the front and JUST take off the backing tape of the small piece of blue tape at the front and place the front down pushing down with a towel.
Now it's anchored down.
If for someone reason it's not aligned correctly you can easily remove it and start again.
Then, once happy, peel back all the rest of the backing tape.
Now I apply positioning spray to both the tape and my scalp (important reason for this).
Now I place the system down lightly and stretch it a very little to ensure it's snug on the scalp.
Once it's down I don't press hard but instead use a paddle brush to quickly comb the hair from the sides. If there are any hairs stuck to the tape then the positioning spray will release them very easily at this stage.
Once that's done I take a towel and press down hard for a minute.

The infamous front:
1637927017878-png.png

First thing I do is remove the blue front lace tape at the front with IPA. Once the sides and back are on, I don't find this necessary. Placing glue around 1cm of the hairline is enough to hold it well IMO and any tape behind it isn't really necessary.
Rub out the eyeliner mark.
I then mark out the limits with a comb leaving around 2-5mm leeway as I stretch the lace a little when putting it down.
Once I've marked out the limits of the lace with a comb (crucial this is done accurately), wet the hair, comb it back, and use three bulldog hair clips to clip it back. Centre, left and right.
For the front I use the normal scalp protector as the sport is harder to clean up and makes touch-ups more complicated IMO.
I then apply Mity-Tite glue in 2-3 very very thin layers. This needs to be done reasonably quickly as eventually it gets stringy. I focus on the very limit of the markings making sure I haven't missed any point there. VERY VERY VERY THIN layers are key here. For problem areas I go as far as 4 layers. You need a very good lamp to see this properly.
To place the front down I release the front clip only and keep tension on the front part by pulling what I have marked 1 and 2 down and out. Pulling it down means less probability of a crease on the sides and putting it out means between 1-2 should be flush. Points one and two should be stuck down and then with one hand hold all the hair back and with the other hand gently press down the points in between with the back end of the comb. Just focus on the VERY front of the lace with the comb. Done correctly, should be no creases and no hairs stuck.
Now release one of the other clips and pull either point 3 or 4 outwards to keep tension and get that down and repeat the same, hold all the hair back with one hand and use a comb to press down the front edge of the lace to the glue. If you put point 3 or 4 down and find there is a crease, just use a brush with a bit of alcohol to release that point and start again.
Do it for the last part.
Lastly I use a paddle bush to pat down the area just behind the hairline to the glue.
I then spray IPA on the back of the comb (so it doesn't stick) and then press down each section of the front for 10 seconds with the back end of a comb. Paying particular attention on the very edge of the lace trying to bury that in the glue.
I used to use a tie but I found the glue sticks too much to it and a little overlap between the skin and lace is necessary. The tie removed a little too much glue causing lift.
Lastly if you have gone too far down with the glue then put quite a decent amount of IPA on some cotton wool and rub the area where there is excess glue. Do this right away as you don't want that glue to cure. Be careful not to go too high and touch the hairline.
For me, rubbing the IPA causes some skin irritation so I use some face oil in that area. I use Rosehip oil and just apply that to the areas that I rubbed with cotton wool. The oil also stops any residual glue from curing so comes off the next time I wash my face after the glue has cured.

Front Touch-ups:
This seems to be necessary for the sides of the front as this is how I sleep and the glue comes off overnight.
I use alcohol on a brush to release the front.
It's very important to release just enough so that you can work well and apply the glue without touching the lace with it.
When doing a small touch-up I don't bother cleaning and just apply glue which works well enough but once a week release the whole front and do the following:
- I use cotton wool on the lace to get the glue off and it comes off easily.
- For my head I don't like cotton wool so use C-22 and the above soap very carefully.
- Then just repeat the above.

Hair stuck in the morning:
Having no creases on the front seems to be crucial in avoiding hairs under the lace. However every morning with IPA I release the hairs that get stuck to the front hairline overnight. I can't see any other solution to this.

ANY tips or tricks on ANYTHING I'm doing would be highly appreciated. Always looking for ways to improve the way I do things!

Last edited:

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very impressive recording of your research and experience, thanks for taking the time to pay it forward and help others by sharing this!

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very impressive recording of your research and experience, thanks for taking the time to pay it forward and help others by sharing this!
Yeah cheers, happy if it helps anyone new to this as I know the learning curve is quite steep.

With no more F1 and Xmas round the corner things are significantly quieter for me on a Sunday!

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Good idea about a 360 degree mirror - I will look into this. You can get by using 2 mirrors, one for the front, the other at the back, to check the back, but a 360 degree mirror makes life easier as it allows you the check the back while being hands free.

Taking The System off:
So for this I take one of the acrylic brushes and start applying IPA to the very front and apply pressure to the hair but DO NOT pull hard. It takes a little while to release.
Once the front is free, I continue using the brush while dipping it in alcohol and apply it directly to the tape as I go round.
I prefer the tape stuck to the base as it's easier to remove it well with the system off and stop hair pulling through. Also doesn't result in excess use of alcohol dripping from your head.

Most people recommend taking the system off from the back first, not the front, though I suppose if you're very careful you can get away with peeling from the front. I've tried both ways.

Once the system is off I take (3) and use that to get the tape off the base.
Just need to get one edge free by slowly peel it off with alcohol. I then continue to peel off very little then apply more IPA. Again it's more about applying pressure to the tape than pulling it off to ensure no hairs are pulled through.

In my experience, a better method is to apply isopropyl through the hair system directly onto the tape (if you wear a lace system), leave it a couple of minutes, then you can simply peel the system off - the tape will be stuck to you head, and system will easily and effortlessly detach from the tape without pulling any of the hairs out. This saves you the hassle of having to remove the tape from the base of the system, helps prevent more hairs being pulled out while doing so, etc. It also makes it easier to clean your hair system base too.

The easiest way to apply isopropyl to the tape through the system, using the least amount of isopropyl, is to get one of those squeeze bottles used in the catering industry for sauces etc, something like this: https://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=50878&trng=fgle

Fill it up with isopropyl, then using the nozzle you can be very precise where you apply the isopropyl through your system. This is better than using a spray bottle in my view because it wastes less isopropyl and is more precise.

Cleaning the system:
Once the system is off I take C-22 and spray BOTH sides of the front with it.
Then just pinch the lace for around 1-2 min getting the C-22 into the knots.
Then point the water flosser so that it's almost parallel to the lace and with my hand behind the lace force the glue outwards to the edge.
If it gets stuck in the hair then I use a fine tooth comb to get it out.
Repeat this process around 2-3 times working on one area at a time.
Once that's done I shampoo the system around 2-3 times and then condition it.
To shampoo it I do both the lace side and hair side and then rinse it out folded in half with the water just on the lace side. Paying particular attention to the front of the unit.
Then I use Aussie conditioner leave it for around 5 mins, rinse it and it's good to go.

Not too bad. I personally put my system onto a mannequin head, hair side up, and wash it under the shower with shampoo, gently. I then use Back2Natural colour depositing conditioner - this makes it lovely and soft and shiny, as well as restores the colour. I'd recommend Back2Natural if you haven't tried it yet!

Cleaning my head:
After wetting my head, I use C-22 on an exfoliating glove and rub it well.
After that I use this soap (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bronners-Organic-Lavender-Castile-Liquid/dp/B000HK1ON0/)
With the C-22 still there I rub that soap on with the exfoliating glove. Then rinse.
Repeat that one more time and it's normally all clear.
Lastly do one last round with just the soap.
After shaving the head I personally apply a mixture of honey, tumeric, green tea and coffee to any inflamed areas. Leave for around an hour then rinse off. Sorts it right out!

I clean the saved area on my head with isopropyl on a cotton wool pad. I then wash it under the shower while I'm shampooing my bio hair. This works fine for me.

Placing the system on:
I use Walkers Ultra Hold Tape for the perimeter and Mity-Tite glue for the front.
For the front I use HALF a piece of No Shine contour tape around 1cm from the front. This is crucial.
For placing the system a template is VERY useful. So just take your system lace side up and put it on a mannequin and make a template of the lace with cling film and cellotape. It won't match your head contour but it's just a guide.
I then place the template on my head and line it up with the 360 mirror. Playing close attention to the temples, back and sides.
Then with a SOFT eyeliner pencil mark draw a line marking the front.
Next I apply two thin layers of walkers sport scalp protector and wait for it to fully dry ;-)
Now I place the system on my head and line up the front to what I marked. I always seems to need to adjust it from this position for some reason but I ensure the sides are straight, it's not too far back and the front makes sense given the markings I made. I lift all the hair up in sections and ensure alignment is on point.
Once I am happy it is all aligned I lift up the front and JUST take off the backing tape of the half piece of no shine contour tape and place the front down pushing down with a towel.
Now it's anchored down.
Then peel back all the rest of the backing tape.
Now I apply positioning spray to both the tape and my scalp (important reason for this).
Now I place the system down lightly and stretch it a very little to ensure it's snug on the scalp.
Once it's down I don't press hard but instead use a paddle brush to quickly comb the hair from the sides. If there are any hairs stuck to the tape then the positioning spray will release them very easily at this stage.
Once that's done I take a towel and press down hard for a minute.

The infamous front:
View attachment 174422

Rub out the eyeliner mark.
I then mark out the limits with a comb leaving around 2-5mm leeway as I stretch the lace a little when putting it down.
Once I've marked out the limits of the lace with a comb (crucial this is done accurately), wet the hair, comb it back, and use three bulldog hair clips to clip it back. Centre, left and right.
Apply walkers sport scalp protector in two thin layers and let it dry fully.
I then apply Mity-Tite glue in 2-3 very very thin layers. This needs to be done reasonably quickly as eventually it gets stringy. I focus on the very limit of the markings making sure I haven't missed any point there.
To place the front down I release the front clip only and keep tension on the front part by pulling what I have marked 1 and 2 down and out. Pulling it down means less probability of a crease on the sides and putting it out means between 1-2 should be flush. Points one and two should be stuck down and then with one hand hold all the hair back and with the other hand gently press down the points in between with the back end of the comb. Just focus on the VERY front of the lace with the comb. Done correctly, should be no creases and no hairs stuck.
Now release one of the other clips and pull either point 3 or 4 outwards to keep tension and get that down and repeat the same, hold all the hair back with one hand and use a comb to press down the front edge of the lace to the glue. If you put point 3 or 4 down and find there is a crease, just use a brush with a bit of alcohol to release that point and start again.
Do it for the last part.
Lastly I use a paddle bush to pat down the area just behind the hairline to the glue.
I then press down each section of the front for 10 seconds with the back end of a comb.
Now I take (1) and tie it round my head ensuring all the hair is slicked back. Lastly put a headband over that (just looks better).
I usually go to sleep like that and take it off in the morning.

I have perfected ways to line the system up perfectly (or as close as possible to that) each time. For me, I wear my hair in a central parting (I wear all Swiss lace, 10 inches long - I still have bio hair on the back and sides which blends in with the hair system hair). Being as though it's longer, and the parting helps me line it up because I know if the parting is lined up then the rest of the piece will be (at least from left to right). However you can do it without a parting no problem.

Here's what I do - a while ago I measured where my natural hairline starts, above the centre of my eyebrows. If you have no hair there, no worries, you can estimate where it starts, then attach the hairline of the system to the same place every time.

So I figured out that my natural hairline starts 1cm above the first frown line on my forehead. I created a small strip of paper 1cm in width, and I use this to know where to line up the edge of the hairline of the hair system. (If you don't have a frown line, you can simply do the measurement from the centre of your eyebrows). Another trick is using an Alice band to hold the system in place while you peel off the backing tape and attach section by section.

Before attachment, I have the back, sides and part of the hairline taped up in sections (I use 1 inch wide Supertape), but I don't peel off the backing tape yet. I put the hair system on my head, covering the shaved area, I line up the hairline of the system exactly 1cm above by frown line using that strip of paper to check it, and I use the central parting to check the system is placed correctly from side to side. (Some people use an eyebrow/makeup pencil to mark the start of the hairline too - you can do this if you want, then rub it off before attaching the front. You'll need to measure where to put the mark, though so you put it in the same place every time).

I then put the Alice band on to hold the system in place. This allows me to peel off the backing tape from the tape 1 section at a time using both hands. I start with the back of the hair system - with the Alice band holding the system in place, I carefully peel off the backing tape from the back part of the system, the press it down. Now once the back is attached, I can take the Alice band off and the system will be in correct position. I then peel the backing tape off one side, press it down. I then do the same with the other side. Finally, I do the same at the front (I don't use Supertape for all of the front - for the front of the parting, I use adhesive or Walker No Shine tape).

In my opinion, this is the best way to get a consistent attachment every time. It sounds more complicated that it is, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy. Sometimes peeling off the backing tape from the tape can be a little fiddly, but you'll figure out your own way of doing that.

Even without a parting, you can still follow this method - I don't know it you expose your hairline or have it combed forward in a fringe, but the method is more or less the same either way.

That last bit makes a BIG difference.

Front Touch-ups:
I use alcohol on a brush to release the front.
I use cotton wool on the lace to get the glue off and it comes off easily.
For my head I don't like cotton wool so use C-22 and the above soap very carefully.
Then just repeat the above.

Hair stuck in the morning:
The best solution I have found for this is just to sleep with a headband of some sort. It just keeps the hair out of the hairline. But having no creases in the front seems to be crucial for avoiding this for me.

ANY tips or tricks on ANYTHING I'm doing would be highly appreciated. Always looking for ways to improve the way I do things!

This seems fine to me.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good idea about a 360 degree mirror - I will look into this. You can get by using 2 mirrors, one for the front, the other at the back, to check the back, but a 360 degree mirror makes life easier as it allows you the check the back while being hands free.
Yeah this thing is amazing for placing it correctly and applying the scalp protector!

Most people recommend taking the system off from the back first, not the front, though I suppose if you're very careful you can get away with peeling from the front. I've tried both ways.
I've never tried this. What is the advantage of taking it off from the back first?

In my experience, a better method is to apply isopropyl through the hair system directly onto the tape (if you wear a lace system), leave it a couple of minutes, then you can simply peel the system off - the tape will be stuck to you head, and system will easily and effortlessly detach from the tape without pulling any of the hairs out. This saves you the hassle of having to remove the tape from the base of the system, helps prevent more hairs being pulled out while doing so, etc. It also makes it easier to clean your hair system base too.
So I used to do this but found a lot of alcohol going everywhere as it's hard to be precise when it's on my head. Also in areas where I couldn't see so well I found hair sometimes getting pulled. When I take it off with the tape still on, I use that rubber thing to put IPA between the tape and lace and then it comes off easily. The main advantage of this method is you can see everything VERY well and I use significantly less IPA.

The easiest way to apply isopropyl to the tape through the system, using the least amount of isopropyl, is to get one of those squeeze bottles used in the catering industry for sauces etc, something like this: https://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=50878&trng=fgle
Noah suggested something similar, I think I will try this again this way.

Fill it up with isopropyl, then using the nozzle you can be very precise where you apply the isopropyl through your system. This is better than using a spray bottle in my view because it wastes less isopropyl and is more precise.
Ok cheers, will give it a shot.

Not too bad. I personally put my system onto a mannequin head, hair side up, and wash it under the shower with shampoo, gently. I then use Back2Natural colour depositing conditioner - this makes it lovely and soft and shiny, as well as restores the colour. I'd recommend Back2Natural if you haven't tried it yet!
I didn't see that mentioned when I was searching the forum! Thanks a lot, I will def get hold of some. One Q - does it DEF NOT mark the lace? This is why I was hesitant about using anything to colour the system. I didn't want to ruin the colour of the lace which is matched to my skin.

In my opinion, this is the best way to get a consistent attachment every time. It sounds more complicated that it is, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy. Sometimes peeling off the backing tape from the tape can be a little fiddly, but you'll figure out your own way of doing that.
Wow, that's quite a thorough method you have there! I really like the idea of having a proper marker for the front. I kind of guess every time using the mark I made with my template as a rough guide and the limit of the system at the back. Having something more precise makes a lot of sense. Instead of the Alice band I use a strip at the front but the idea is the same. Interesting method you have though!

This seems fine to me.
Cool thanks.

The one thing I didn't stress enough is after I apply the glue to the front and put the front down, when I tie that silk thing around the front and leave it for a long period of time all the excess glue sticks to the silk thing and the lace protects the glue that needs to actually stay there. Therefore leads to a PERFECT line of glue. The lace creates like a stencil. I've only been doing this recently and it really works wonders. I do use acrylic glue and not white so not sure how it would work with white glue.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never tried this. What is the advantage of taking it off from the back first?

It puts less strain on the hairline, or at least that's the theory. This is important as you want to keep the hairline looking its best because it's usually the most visible and most crucial part of a hair system.

I didn't see that mentioned when I was searching the forum! Thanks a lot, I will def get hold of some. One Q - does it DEF NOT mark the lace? This is why I was hesitant about using anything to colour the system. I didn't want to ruin the colour of the lace which is matched to my skin.

Back2Natural is one of the most popular products for hair system wearers, and almost everyone here either uses it or has tried it. As long as you are careful to apply the Back2Natural to the hair itself, it will not mark the lace. Even if it does get on the lace, it's not as harsh as permanent or semi-permanent dye. And it depends if you have any lace visible, i.e. a parting or exposed hairline. If you have neither of these, you needn't worry if a little bit gets on the lace.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Back2Natural is one of the most popular products for hair system wearers, and almost everyone here either uses it or has tried it. As long as you are careful to apply the Back2Natural to the hair itself, it will not mark the lace. Even if it does get on the lace, it's not as harsh as permanent or semi-permanent dye. And it depends if you have any lace visible, i.e. a parting or exposed hairline. If you have neither of these, you needn't worry if a little bit gets on the lace.
My density is quite low due to my natural hair and therefore have parts of the lace visible (swiss lace) so my scalp is visible. Also I have an exposed front hairline. Would you still recommend it?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My density is quite low due to my natural hair and therefore have parts of the lace visible (swiss lace) so my scalp is visible. Also I have an exposed front hairline. Would you still recommend it?

Yeh, I'd still recommend Back2Natural. Just apply it carefully - use a dye brush to brush it on, making sure you get it on the hair and don't put too much on a once. Once you've applied a bit, brush or comb it through that section of hair, then move onto the next section. Leave for 10 - 15 mins then rinse a little under the shower. Against the grain, I find I can get away without rinsing if I don't put too much on - it's not as harsh as regular dyes - but I would say just follow the instructions :)

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It puts less strain on the hairline, or at least that's the theory. This is important as you want to keep the hairline looking its best because it's usually the most visible and most crucial part of a hair system.
I will give it a go and see what I prefer, thank you!

Yeh, I'd still recommend Back2Natural. Just apply it carefully - use a dye brush to brush it on, making sure you get it on the hair and don't put too much on a once. Once you've applied a bit, brush or comb it through that section of hair, then move onto the next section. Leave for 10 - 15 mins then rinse a little under the shower. Against the grain, I find I can get away without rinsing if I don't put too much on - it's not as harsh as regular dyes - but I would say just follow the instructions :)
Thank you! I will also look into this. Had never heard of it before you mentioned it.

Have a nice Xmas!