Left Temple Receding Or Just Paranoid?

Chickenwing123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey - ive visited this forum before asking if there was anything wrong with my hair - responses were all good saying they couldnt see anything wrong.

Im back again since i dunno - im a little curious about my left temple. First image is left temple.

Some factors : There are no signs of balding in either side of my family, I have been using budget shampoo, Id shower once a week (not anymore - was very busy) , not really stressed, ive been on a strict diet for over a month but i may have notice the temple like this before then.

Dont know if im paranoid or whether im just seeing things.

Attachments

• 20170811_155446.jpg
    20170811_155446.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 773
  • 20170811_155540.jpg
    20170811_155540.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 692
  • 20170811_155606.jpg
    20170811_155606.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 596
  • 20170811_155633.jpg
    20170811_155633.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 607

abba

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep, that looks like the beginning stage of hairloss. It's not that bad, since you've caught it at the earliest possible moment, and maintaining is easier than regrowing. I wish i had started my treatment when i first noticed that temple recession. You probably won't even need to use Minoxidil, just Finasteride and you'll keep that hair for as long as you want to.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/treatments/propecia/
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/treatments/rogaine/

If the side effect scare stories get to you remember you can use Topical Finasteride, which is safer, but more expensive. Try Finasteride before you use Minoxidil and remember that Minoxidil also has side effects and is a lifetime commitment.

If you're still skeptical whether you have hairloss or not you could do the wait and see approach to it for now (you still have that luxury right now), take monthly pictures, and if you notice any progression on the hairloss then you can choose to start Finasteride or not. But whatever you do, don't just try to forget about it and move on, that's my biggest regret about hairloss.

Chickenwing123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep, that looks like the beginning stage of hairloss. It's not that bad, since you've caught it at the earliest possible moment, and maintaining is easier than regrowing. I wish i had started my treatment when i first noticed that temple recession. You probably won't even need to use Minoxidil, just Finasteride and you'll keep that hair for as long as you want to.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/treatments/propecia/
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/treatments/rogaine/

If the side effect scare stories get to you remember you can use Topical Finasteride, which is safer, but more expensive. Try Finasteride before you use Minoxidil and remember that Minoxidil also has side effects and is a lifetime commitment.

If you're still skeptical whether you have hairloss or not you could do the wait and see approach to it for now (you still have that luxury right now), take monthly pictures, and if you notice any progression on the hairloss then you can choose to start Finasteride or not. But whatever you do, don't just try to forget about it and move on, that's my biggest regret about hairloss.

Does finasteride stop hair loss to the point where i will no longer need to take it? Or just delay it?

Im recently 20 years old - so im a little skeptical that its me balding especially since my family all have hair - could it also be testosterone related by any chance? I wont dismiss it though. How old were you when you began balding too if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks

abba

My Regimen
Reaction score
I first noticed that exact temple recession at 16, i began to regret not treating it by age 19 when it became noticeable to most people.

If by family you mean your father/brothers, then be very worried because the genes of hairloss are also passed down by women and it can manifest even if your grandfathers aren't balding. There's a good chance you were just the unlucky one.

And Finasteride is like a ceasefire when it comes to hairloss. It's not a cure, it won't regrow much if any hair, and once you stop taking it the hairloss will resume. On the other hand you probably won't need to use it the rest of your life either, since there are a good number of treatments being developed, so you can be optimistic about the future. https://www.hairlosstalk.com/pipeline/

If you're still skeptical, again, you can monitor the situation for a month or two to confirm it and i'd recommend you do that. You can use a ruler or something similar to check and take pictures every month. if it gets any worse then it's confirmed hairloss. I'd say that's the safest approach to it, while Finasteride is by far the safest hairloss treatment, it still lowers your DHT, so it's better to be safe than sorry, at least for now.

Chickenwing123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I first noticed that exact temple recession at 16, i began to regret not treating it by age 19 when it became noticeable to most people.

If by family you mean your father/brothers, then be very worried because the genes of hairloss are also passed down by women and it can manifest even if your grandfathers aren't balding. There's a good chance you were just the unlucky one.

And Finasteride is like a ceasefire when it comes to hairloss. It's not a cure, it won't regrow much if any hair, and once you stop taking it the hairloss will resume. On the other hand you probably won't need to use it the rest of your life either, since there are a good number of treatments being developed, so you can be optimistic about the future. https://www.hairlosstalk.com/pipeline/

If you're still skeptical, again, you can monitor the situation for a month or two to confirm it and i'd recommend you do that. You can use a ruler or something similar to check and take pictures every month. if it gets any worse then it's confirmed hairloss. I'd say that's the safest approach to it, while Finasteride is by far the safest hairloss treatment, it still lowers your DHT, so it's better to be safe than sorry, at least for now.

Still unsure how to feel about this - will most likely wait and monitor for two months to look for any changes - what happens if i see no change in length at all?

Also - how is your hair now since you said my temple currently looked like yours in the early stages?

My family again told me that no one at all in my families known history has been bald - so i really dont know how to feel on the topic of male pattern baldness. I have a lot of family members too that I know - and i cant suggest any that are bald.

Are there any other known factors that could cause this slight recession - such as low testosterone, too much grease, poor diet etc..?

Thanks again.

Chickenwing123

My Regimen
Reaction score
ALSO - Noticed i have small short hairs in the left temple area by zooming in - my right side has the same hairs yet they are long and normal (reason why it doesnt look receded). Can i expect these small hairs on the left temple area to grow - and if so : will this restore the temple hair area back to normal?

Thanks

Alk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These are really bad pictures, noone can tell if you have hairloss.

Chickenwing123

My Regimen
Reaction score
These are really bad pictures, noone can tell if you have hairloss.

Its just the left temple im worried about - everything else should be looking fine! Il put some more images though!

First ones are of left temple - second to last is right temple. Last is new haircut like an hour later - left side too.

Attachments

• 20170812_054831.jpg
    20170812_054831.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 350
  • 20170812_054957.jpg
    20170812_054957.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 20170812_054927.jpg
    20170812_054927.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 309
  • 20170812_055034.jpg
    20170812_055034.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 20170812_055233.jpg
    20170812_055233.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 354

abba

My Regimen
Reaction score
^you're wrong, really if you can't see his hairloss then you don't know how the hair of someone who has no hairloss is supposed to be like and should refrain from telling people they don't have hairloss. The earlier you catch it the better, and if you don't do anything you'll regret it 100%, and having people misleading you doesn't help in any way either.

My hair right now is receded in a NW2 pattern (after two years on Finasteride, which has maintained my hair, but barely gave me any regrowth), i have huge triangular-shaped holes on my temples and a few millimeters of vertical recession and considering the way my hairloss sped up after i turned 20 i'd probably be a NW4-5 by now (22) if i hadn't done anything to treat it. Thankfully i started Finasteride before i had crown loss, but after noticing it when it was on a similar stage as you i spent about two to three years in denial about my hairloss and i regret it a lot now.

Hair length/thickness can be a sign of hairloss, yes. but in your situation you should first measure the degree of recession, as that's the natural progression in this stage until you start diffusing on top. If the triangular recession gets any bigger then start Finasteride. Keep in mind though there's also the possibility that you'll receed in a different pattern, so you can also measure the distance between your hairline and your eyebrows to cover that possibility.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Showering once a week? Jesus Christ bro.

Take better pictures of your hair with brighter lighting and lift up your little fringe so we can see your hair line better.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
duta + fina + spironolactone

bare minimum to stop this kind of super agressive hairloss

Chickenwing123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Showering once a week? Jesus Christ bro.

Take better pictures of your hair with brighter lighting and lift up your little fringe so we can see your hair line better.

Havent got any fringe to lift up lol. Im just worried about the left temple to be honest - everything else looks to be in order.

Like if you compare both of my temples - you can see the left one is lacking hair although minimal at the moment, in the area - which makes it looks receding. So im not sure how to feel.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
^you're wrong, really if you can't see his hairloss then you don't know how the hair of someone who has no hairloss is supposed to be like and should refrain from telling people they don't have hairloss. The earlier you catch it the better, and if you don't do anything you'll regret it 100%, and having people misleading you doesn't help in any way either.

My hair right now is receded in a NW2 pattern (after two years on Finasteride, which has maintained my hair, but barely gave me any regrowth), i have huge triangular-shaped holes on my temples and a few millimeters of vertical recession and considering the way my hairloss sped up after i turned 20 i'd probably be a NW4-5 by now (22) if i hadn't done anything to treat it. Thankfully i started Finasteride before i had crown loss, but after noticing it when it was on a similar stage as you i spent about two to three years in denial about my hairloss and i regret it a lot now.

Hair length/thickness can be a sign of hairloss, yes. but in your situation you should first measure the degree of recession, as that's the natural progression in this stage until you start diffusing on top. If the triangular recession gets any bigger then start Finasteride. Keep in mind though there's also the possibility that you'll receed in a different pattern, so you can also measure the distance between your hairline and your eyebrows to cover that possibility.
Every person has a different density naturally. Unless he posts some better photos or some comparison photos, it appears he has no hair loss from what he has posted. I see literally no recession in these photos. Have no idea what you're talking about.

Chickenwing123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Every person has a different density naturally. Unless he posts some better photos or some comparison photos, it appears he has no hair loss from what he has posted. I see literally no recession in these photos. Have no idea what you're talking about.

You really cant see a differece between the first two images? (Left and right temple)

I feel as if i see in the first image that there is atleast a line of missing hair at the temple when comparing the two. Almost as if the left temple hair is creating a right angle triangle.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
You really cant see a differece between the first two images? (Left and right temple)

I feel as if i see in the first image that there is atleast a line of missing hair at the temple when comparing the two. Almost as if the left temple hair is creating a right angle triangle.
I cannot see any difference. To be fair your images are blurry af. Post better pics and I'll give you a better opinion.