Leaving for boot camp...will shampoo alone work?

HairDude99

Reaction score
Im leaving for Navy boot camp next month for 2 months. I will not be allowed to take any drugs or shower for longer then a few minutes. I have been using fincar, nizoral 2 percent, and folligen for about 3 months now and it has been helping. It stopped alot of my receding hairline and it appears to be slowly growing back. I have a fast metabolism so maybe thats why I started noticing a difference within 1 month.

I was wondeing if a shampoo alone would stop the hairloss? I would be ok with not growing any new hair as long as I didnt start receding my hairline again. I read that Revivogen has to be left in your hair for longer then 5 minutes to work. Is this true?

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you have a prescription for finasteride? If you do it's illegal(in most countries) for someone to prevent you from administering your prescription drugs.

Why me?

Reaction score
Yo bro "Gonna_win is right.

You can take prescription meds with you. I did it when I was in thee Air Force.

HairDude99

Reaction score
So you guys think it will be ok?

I was thinking they wouldnt allow me to take it since it was for cosmetic reasons rather then medical concerns. I cant get a clear answer from my recruiter and the only person who can authorize it anyways is the Doctor at the processing station before I ship out and I wont meet him till the day I ship out.

Do you guys know if finasteride has any negative side effects to any shots? From what I heard ill be getting like 7 shots in boot camp. I didnt put it on my intia enlistment papers because technically it wasnt a prescription drug the way I was bought it and I forgot what the heck it was called and did not want to take another trip to MEPS. (military entrancing processing station)

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hairdude99. If you have a prescription for it you will be OK. I don't think there is much difference between medical and cosmetic in this case. For some baldness is like taking a breath, just another part of life and nothing to worry about. For others it's extreamly damaging, it can cause depression which is a very very big medical medical problem.

If you are really worried, you should call your recruiter or your army's administration office and query them about it.

Edit: As for shot's I do not know. This thing is best discussed with your doctor. As they say it's always best to ask.

cess150

Reaction score
hairdude- i am in the navy so i can kinda tell you what to expect in boot camp. they will allow you to have your meds, just be sure to bring your prescription with you. as far as the shower goes, yes they are really short. you will only have about 3-4 minutes in the shower if that so leaving any shampoo on is difficult, plus you cant bring shampoo with you so all you have is the cheap stuff they give you. so yeah youa re going to pretty much rely on your finasteride for a while. it is only 2 months though so just have fun and dont worry about it, you can work on your topicals when you graduate from boot camp.

HairDude99

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of doctor to see? I see like 100 doctors in the phone book, dont have health insurance, and havent seen a doctor in like 10 years.

Also how much would it cost just to set up an appointment to get a propecia prescription?