Least greasy Minoxidil on market?

receder21

Reaction score
I have just started using generic Rogaine and applying it in the morning is a real pain. It causes my thinning hair to look much thinner than it actually is and that prevents me from going out right away until the Rogaine dries up.
1.Is there a Minooxidil brand out there that dries up quicky(so its not too noticeable to other ppl that you have it on) and is not very greasy at all with the same effectiveness as the greasy Rogaine.

Thanks

The Gardener

Reaction score
Yep, use Dr Lees. You can order it here:

http://www.minoxidil.com

You want item #500, his standard 5% Minoxidil. Not only is the minoxidil less greasy, but the Dr Lee dropper is smaller, more accurate, and more easy to control. The only downside is that the faster drying time is due to the thinner viscosity, and that same thin viscosity makes it a little more prone to drippage when you apply. So, stand still for a few minutes after application and let it stabilize on your scalp a bit. Dr Lees is the sh*t for morning applications, and is EXACTLY what you are specifically asking for.

Axon

Reaction score
Dr. Lee's Minoxidil is worth every penny. Dry in 20 minutes, no residue. All because he uses 20% less Propene Glycol. Go figure.

receder21

Reaction score
Thanks,

That is just what I needed. I will look into it and order it tommorow. (Sucks having everyone and their moms know you have Rogaine on in the morning.)

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Which one of his products do you guys use? There are a bunch of different types of minoxidil. Is the cheapest still have the same quality of drying quickly?

Axon

Reaction score
Item # 500, as Gard has said.

500 Standard Minoxidil 5%, 65 mL

You can't miss it. Yes, that one has the "dry quick" property, which really is just a reflection of how much propene glycol is in the formula.

macdruid

Established Member
Reaction score
Axon said:
You can't miss it. Yes, that one has the "dry quick" property, which really is just a reflection of how much propene glycol is in the formula.

Is there any chance that it could be less effective, long term, since it dries more quickly?

Axon

Reaction score
Not in my opinion or experience. The film is from propene glycol and it sitcks to the follicle, not the root. Pharmacies that produce minoxidil mix it with 30% PPG as opposed to Upjohn's 50% PPG formulation. The minoxidil is the key element, and it remains the same....

But if it makes you feel better, use Upjohn.

macdruid

Established Member
Reaction score
Axon said:
Not in my opinion or experience. The film is from propene glycol and it sitcks to the follicle, not the root. Pharmacies that produce minoxidil mix it with 30% PPG as opposed to Upjohn's 50% PPG formulation. The minoxidil is the key element, and it remains the same....

But if it makes you feel better, use Upjohn.

Actually, I plan on ordering Dr' Lee's here in the next couple of weeks as this greasiness has got to go... I've been using Rogaine the last month and can't apply it in the morning as I look like someone poured a greasy frying pan on my head for 4 hours. :roll:

Axon

Reaction score
Go for it. I wouldn't even be using Minoxidil if Dr. Lee didn't offer his formulation.

Reaction score
His Xandrox solution is pretty oily though, but I use them. Figure the 5% azelaic acid will do something.

His 5% is like a super drying formula. One of his more popular products.

Always wondered why dont he just make 12.5% or 15% regular minoxidil instead of his Xandrox series. Its the acid that makes his formulations greasy.

viperfish

Reaction score
I'll be ordering some too. Dries in 20 minutes would be freaking great. The drying time is one of the reasons I quit using minoxidil in the past. I could not stand applying it in the morning my hair was a greasy mess all day. It would def. be worth the extra cost for Lee's minoxidil.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Dr Lee's is worth every extra penny in my opinion. You guys are gonna love it, totally liberated my morning routine!