Late 30s. 16 Years on Propecia / minoxidil. Time to buzz/transplant/system?

drbyalln

My Regimen
Reaction score
Long-time lurker. I am in my late 30s and have benefitted so much from this forum for years.

I started daily Propecia and Minoxidil in 2004. I only use the Minoxidil foam once a day. I use T-Gel and Nizoral regularly. I take Biotin and a good daily vitamin regimen - and have been watching my health/stress/exercise levels closely for the last four years, which has helped overall appearance and mood a lot. My hair looks much better than it did when I was in a higher stress job a few years back.

I grew my hair out a bit over the pandemic and it certainly looks good on Zoom calls, but I am in professional services and we are returning to offices soon. I think it's time to make a change, though I am a bit hesitant to take the plunge and buzz. I would be interested in a transplant or hair system ... but it's a matter of making the time to heal (from transplant) or get a system in place.

Interested in your thoughts. I'm slightly leaning toward buzzing at the moment. It would be a lot more manageable when biking, etc. I sure like the appearance of having hair ... but I think my stylist has me too far into combover territory as my hair has grown out during the pandemic work-from-home period. Next haircut is scheduled for Wednesday.

Thanks.

Last edited:

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Have you lost ground or maintained mostly? You look to be a good transplant candidate, but it will be an expensive and long process.

drbyalln

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you lost ground or maintained mostly? You look to be a good transplant candidate, but it will be an expensive and long process.
Thanks! I haven't lost any ground in the last seven or eight years - maybe even gained a bit of ground as I focused on vitamins, stress reduction, and making sure to apply Minoxidil religiously every day (after a couple of years of slacking off).

terrence

Reaction score
Maybe you can try toppik. Use google to search for the before and after pictures for toppik.

user394587

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's hard to tell what you're working with because of how you've styled your hair. If you're maintaining on finasteride, you could very likely improve the density in your crown and improve your hairline with a conservative hair transplant. This is assuming that the mid scalp still has decent density because it's hard to tell from the images there.

King Norwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks! I haven't lost any ground in the last seven or eight years - maybe even gained a bit of ground as I focused on vitamins, stress reduction, and making sure to apply Minoxidil religiously every day (after a couple of years of slacking off).
How much daily shedding? Any rough idea?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Buzz will give you freedom. And many guy look more masculine and have a good head shape , so you should try it.
System definitive not, will be the opposite , you will be the opposite, you will be an slave .
Hair transplant a surgical procedure that can go good or wrong and it always leave scars so shave will not be an option. Buzz, if is a really good hair transplant , FUE, with minimal scarring, could be .

drbyalln

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great thoughts - Thanks everyone. I actually found an old bottle of Toppik and used it after yesterday's suggestion. I was fairly impressed by how it helped. I may experiment with that for a little bit, but the freedom of a buzz holds a fair amount of appeal (and the hair that I do have ... grows pretty quickly, so it's certainly not a permanent move I suppose).

For all intents and purposes, no daily shedding at this time. I would like to up my minoxidil to 2x a day again to see if it might spur a bit more regrowth, but it is tough in the mornings - and it intuitively seems like it's late in the game for minoxidil regrowth given that I am a 16 year veteran of minoxidil.

Thanks for the caution on systems - I'll steer clear of systems. I'll approach any eventual transplant with caution, but might more seriously look into potential doctors/locations for FUE so I don't let another few years pass by again in the event I go down that (long) road.

jazz1

Reaction score
Try adding a derma roller 3 times per week before considering a good transplant.

KurtCocain

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should talk to your doctor about oral minoxidil. From what I have read, Oral minoxidil is way more effective then topical minoxidil. Even for long time topical minoxidil users like yourself. It seems like more and more hair transplant doctors are prescribing it more often now. Just be aware that like most drugs there can be side effects like increased body hair growth and blood pressure issues.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
you have lost hair since 2004? or your regimen has maintained what you had back then? you are on topical min since 2004? holy sh*t that topical sh*t is exhausting ( i have been on it for almost 7 years now and i feel it... )

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should talk to your doctor about oral minoxidil. From what I have read, Oral minoxidil is way more effective then topical minoxidil. Even for long time topical minoxidil users like yourself. It seems like more and more hair transplant doctors are prescribing it more often now. Just be aware that like most drugs there can be side effects like increased body hair growth and blood pressure issues.
I bet he'll get some regrowth for sure. If anything, his crown would fill up a little.

MDL999

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey just wondering, during your time on propecia you have experienced no side effects? No lowered libido or anything? Life is good? Respond good to stress/anxiety?