Latanoprost increases hair density in men with Androgenetic Alopecia

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Really frustrating to know there are things out there that work that we can't get hold of at an effective dose :/

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
About 2 1/2 years ago over on HLH, I posted that Dr. Lee had tried topical latanoprost to treat hair loss, and was "disappointed" by the results. Another person came right back and said that maybe Dr. Lee had used an insufficient dose of latanoprost for that purpose. I don't know for sure, of course, but it seems likely that Dr. Lee would have been aware of how much to use, since he had the previous trial of latanoprost with stumptailed macaques to go by.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Acta Derm Venereol. 2002;82(1):7-12.
"Effect of latanoprost on hair growth in the bald scalp of the stump-tailed macacque: a pilot study."
Uno H, Zimbric ML, Albert DM, Stjernschantz J.
SourceWisconsin Regional Primate Research Centre, School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA. huno4@attbi.com

Abstract
Latanoprost, a selective FP prostanoid receptor agonist used in the treatment of glaucoma, has a hypertrichotic side effect. Using the macaque model of androgenetic alopecia, we examined the effect of latanoprost on hair growth. Eight monkeys were divided into 2 groups; one group received a daily topical application of 50 microg/ml of latanoprost for 5 months; a control group had a daily application of vehicle. For an additional 3 months, 2 monkeys from each group were given 500 microg/ml latanoprost, while the remaining monkeys continued with the previous treatment. Hair growth was evaluated by monthly photographs and phototricho-graphic analysis. Fifty microg/ml of latanoprost caused minimal hair growth. Latanoprost at 500 microg/ml induced moderate to marked hair regrowth with 5-10% conversion of vellus hairs to intermediary or terminal hairs. The vehicle group showed no effect. Further evaluation of latanoprost as an agent for treatment of human androgenetic alopecia is indicated.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way, I should mention here that if I remember correctly (this was from what I read about the above macaque study several years ago), the hairgrowth stimulated by latanoprost in the above stumptailed macaque study was the greatest that had ever been achieved at that point, including various other agents like minoxidil and RU58841!!! :woot:

But once again, I point out that Dr. Lee was "disappointed" by his own efforts with topical latanoprost, as I indicated in my post above. But had he tried using the same HUGE 500 microgram/mL dose that they tried in the study above?? :dunno:

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
About 2 1/2 years ago over on HLH, I posted that Dr. Lee had tried topical latanoprost to treat hair loss, and was "disappointed" by the results. Another person came right back and said that maybe Dr. Lee had used an insufficient dose of latanoprost for that purpose. I don't know for sure, of course, but it seems likely that Dr. Lee would have been aware of how much to use, since he had the previous trial of latanoprost with stumptailed macaques to go by.

Well Dr Lee couldnt even sell it even if he wanted to as it was under patent up until recently. Plus what strength did Dr Lee use? In the recent human studies they used 0.1% which is twice as strong as what was used in the macaque study(0.05%)

The photos released speak for themselves. Latanoprost works.

If people want this they can always go to their Dermatologist and provide these latest studies with that before and after image and ask for a script for a custom made topical to be made for you by a compounding pharmacist. People were doing this back in the day with minoxidil and finasteride.

You dont have to wait for it to hit the shelves. A good knowledgeable derm will write you a script so you can get it custom made at the required 0.1% strength.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
blaze said:
Well Dr Lee couldnt even sell it even if he wanted to as it was under patent up until recently. Plus what strength did Dr Lee use? In the recent human studies they used 0.1% which is twice as strong as what was used in the macaque study(0.05%)

Yeah, twice as strong as the smaller dose used in the macaque study, but a lot less than the larger dose. That may be the real key. I have no idea what dose Dr. Lee used in his own trial.

tricospanish

Reaction score
Study about latanoprost

Attachments

• latanoprost.pdf
    796 KB · Views: 811
  • latanorpost.jpg
    latanorpost.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,249

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BrightonBaldy said:
isnt this just xalatan? can get that online easily enough
Not at an effective dosage. Besides being in an eye drop form that isn't going to go very far, Xalatan is .005%

The study idontwanttobebalding posted uses 0.1% latanoprost.

That's twenty times the dosage!

Interesting what Blaze says about derms writing custom scripts, I'd never really realised that was possible. I might start phoning around! :)

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
blaze said:

Yeah, twice as strong as the smaller dose used in the macaque study, but a lot less than the larger dose. That may be the real key. I have no idea what dose Dr. Lee used in his own trial.

No, twice as strong as the larger dose used in the macaque study.

The macaque study used 0.005%(50mcg/ml) and a 0.05%(500mcg/ml) strength. This new Latanoprost study on humans used a 0.1% strength(1mg/ml).

Rabid

Established Member
Reaction score
blaze said:
If people want this they can always go to their Dermatologist and provide these latest studies with that before and after image and ask for a script for a custom made topical to be made for you by a compounding pharmacist. People were doing this back in the day with minoxidil and finasteride.

You dont have to wait for it to hit the shelves. A good knowledgeable derm will write you a script so you can get it custom made at the required 0.1% strength.

That'll probably cost a pretty penny, which is why the group buys are so great...

as a group we can afford to purchase a large amount of pure chemical and make our own topical at the proper concentration for a tiny fraction of the price, by eliminating the need for doctors, pharmacists, and high drug company mark-ups.

damielmillo

Reaction score
hello, i talk with some suppliers and Latanoprost is selling only in liquid form.
Bimatoprost is selling in fine powder...someone knows if with the liquid we can make the solution 0.1 % ? and how?
Thanks

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased one gram of Latanoprost.

So you all know, I spent a few weeks narrowing down the top Latanoprost Suppliers worldwide. We now have around 4 to 5 good suppliers. I managed to go with a company that sold both Bimatoprost and Latanoprost. I purchased Latanoprost 3 weeks ago and received it last week. Here is what it looks like.

img1623gi.jpg

I am unable to provide that much information including who I purchased from though due to HairLossTalk.com stating that they are at legal risk for these type of things. I will say that there are private forums that offer the ability for you to purchase these products and more for discounts as we do group orders. However, I cannot disclose this information through HairLossTalk.com per their last warning.

Ace Ventura

Reaction score
So Smitysmity, good business. First of all, good luck for you and for the sake of all of us :)

I have a question, which dose are u going to use? 1 ml per day of 0.1% solution?

I also hope, u post results, opinions and so, here, in this site. Maybe in a further day we could know your supplier, the price of this stuff.

damielmillo

Reaction score
I think Latanoprost must work.
Which one will be more effective? Latanoprost or Bimatoprost?
I will order Latanoprost and use 0.1 % and Bimatoprost 0.5% or 1 %. (I think that less is a waste of time)
Smitysmity, what dose of Bimatoprost are you using? Have you notice an effect?
Thanks and good luck!!

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
damielmillo said:
I think Latanoprost must work.
Which one will be more effective? Latanoprost or Bimatoprost?
I will order Latanoprost and use 0.1 % and Bimatoprost 0.5% or 1 %. (I think that less is a waste of time)
Smitysmity, what dose of Bimatoprost are you using? Have you notice an effect?
Thanks and good luck!!

I also purchased a gram of Bimatoprost.
I will be using 0.25% to 0.6%. Clinical trials are using up to 2% which in my opinion is overkill. I purchased a gram for around $840.

With Latanoprost I also purchased a gram.
I will be using 0.1%. I purchase a gram for around $800.

Which was is most effective?
I believe they are both about the same but since Bimatoprost is more proven, then

In my opinion, Latanoprost and Bimatoprost are the two leading growth stimulants on the market.

The end goal is to regrow my current hair. If the supply runs out and it hasn't regrown, then I will stop using "some" of these items in 2013 as I will move on knowing that I had no chance of regrowing my recently fallen hair and I am expected to only continue with Latanoprost and CB0301 as well as any cheaper solution such as Ketocozole, Topical dutasteride, and a few other ones I am taking currently as well.