Laser Hair Growth, does it work?

Nevyn

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I am new here and this seemed the best place to post it.

As my title states I am looking for info into laser hair growth. I have been to a clinic recently here in the UK and I was originally looking at FUE. The doctor suggested my FUE would need to be 4000 folical transfers (which I see as ridiculously high as I'm not balding that much, just at the front slightly) This to be honest has shattered my faith in their knowledge as I've seen balder people get amazing results with 2000 transfers at half the cost. He went onto state that he wouldn't recommend me for FUE because of the cost but would recommend I do Laser Hair growth instead.

Here is my Dilemma: The laser hair growth is a 6 month plan and will cost me around 1200 GBP (about 1800 Dollers) which is affordable to be in comparison to FUE, however the plan incorporates the use of Monoxidil and some tablet (Which for the life of me I have forgoton the name of) I have tried to research Laser Hair growth but I don't see many reliable sources saying how effective it is. It's some salon style head wear you put on and contains 9000 of these lasers. So my question is: What contribution would the laser offer along side the monoxidil and this tablet? I can get my own monoxidil and tablets and its not going to cost me 1200 quid.

In a way I kind of see this as a money making scam: Shine some red lights on someones head and give them monoxidil to do the real work work, masking the fact I am actually charging you 1200 quid to sit under a red light a few times a week and give you 6 months worth of monoxidil which costs you probably 100 to 150 GBP. Seems like a pretty good way to get money out of someone if you ask me.

Here4Hair

Reaction score
I think you mean a laser helmet. The 2 most popular around at the moment are Igrow and Theradome.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=theradome+review

With regards to the treatment plan that you have to use with Mnoxidil, well, you should know that your hair will become dependent upon using minoxidil if you do get regrowth and that once you stop using Minoxidil that those hairs will fall out and you will be back at square 1, or even worse. 2nd, Minoxidil can best be described as something you would use if you want to buy your self some extra time to be dealing with hair loss, because at some stage Minoxidil will stop working, that's if it works for you in the first place as independent studies show that it roughly only works for about 40% of the the users who try it.

You should maybe try to get a 2nd opinion from a different hair loss clinic or doctor....

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Total waste of money. Do not waste your time with laser hair growth bull****. It is a scam. Minoxidil does work and has proven to work, time and time again. Why do you think they want you on minoxidil as well? Instant alarm bells. Lazee bull****.

DPAMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The guy at the hair clinic I went to was trying to get me to do laser treatment. However, the amount he wanted to charge was almost three times what they were trying to charge you; the same as a cheap hair transplant — which he was also trying to sell me on despite my thinning being nowhere near that bad. He showed me progress pics, but they really looked more like the results of a hair transplant than laser therapy. I don't trust it.

Nevyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I thought it seemed like a scam myself, and yes I understand the growth is dependant on continued use of Monoxidil, I guess people will do anything they can though to retain what's left of their hair. Maybe i should try pull off the bruce willis look? Lol

jayce

Reaction score
I have used laser treatments as well and I do think it works, but my hair is still thinning.

Rian

Reaction score
Seen these on youtube, good thing I didn't get one!

Well not that I could afford one

lostcause

Reaction score
Laser hair treatment.

I just see post after post of arrogant and negative people claiming laser hair treatments do not work.

My question is this; if they do not work then why are there double blind studies on Google scholar proving they work?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Post the studies would love to read them. Most of the stuff I've seen on laser combs/helmets seems like shady scams. Especially those on youtube where the guy has a redirect page to get you a discount so its obvious he getting kickbacks off the each helmet/comb they sell.

Gold Top

Reaction score
About 15 years ago I had a 3 month course of laser treatment and minoxidil at an 'advanced hair studio', but unfortunately it didn't work.

They did tell me that it looked as though the circulation to my scalp had improved and that further treatment might improve the chances of my hair growing.

portmann.johnny

Reaction score
I'm gonna be trying lllt for 6 months along with topical spironolactone, nizoral, and revivogen (maybe a few other snake oils (cuz my hairloss isnt as aggressive)). I'll let y'all know... probably won't work, but min gave me sides and Im trying for a kid so no finasteride yet, so what else can I do...

Nevyn

Reaction score
I guess that hair loss is just a natural thing. The "Doctor" was saying to me that even if you get FUE, the rest of your hair will continue to fall out and years later you need another FUE. I guess if you have the money and you can easily afford it then it's no problem. The problem is many people can't. I don't really want to waste my time with things like monoxidil, I'm not that good with regimental procedure as it is but I don't want to be dependant on something that may or may not work, even if it does work, to what end will it really "Help" me? I've thought about it a lot over the last few months and whilst my hair loss is not severe in comparison to other people I know it will get worse, but I suppose that's just natural. For most people at least, we lose hair. As you get older your hair thins and you put on weight. So be it, I no longer want to stress myself out over such trivial things. I understand why people want to reverse things but the fact is you cant and the sooner you accept the truth the sooner you start to feel better.

Scrappy

Reaction score
I'm interested in this also. NW4 - ish, thinning in the areas where I have hair, I've heard about the igrow and Theradome, plus the LaserCap which is much more expensive, like $3000. But really tough to find good concrete info regarding results.

Baylad

Reaction score
I saw a study out of Korea 2 years ago that there was some positive results with it but it was minimum and you need to have it 18 minutes a day but maybe the technology has jumped since then

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently got back to using laser therapy for my male pattern baldness. Despite the other treatments that I'm on, I'll tell you what it has helped me on, and what not to expect from laser therapy.

What it has helped me on:

+ Cosmetic improvement
+ Healthier density
+ Healthier hair
+ Healthier scalp
+ Lessened gray hairs
+ Lessened shedding
+ Minor regrowth

What not to expect:

- Maintenance
- Significant results

--------

The following that I listed which LLLT has helped me on will only be possible if you are on one or more maintenance treatment such as Dutasteride, Finasteride, and RU58841 which are the options. For best hair regrowth, the #1 treatment for that is Minoxidil and still is to this day.

If you are suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia and using absolutely no treatment other than LLLT, you will get nothing from it. For those of you who've been wondering what device I use for laser therapy, I use the HairMax LaserComb Professional 12 model.

Ven

Reaction score
I use a laser helmet 3 x a week. I do think it helps a bit but not as good as minoxidil. I would never go for the lasercomb though. It has not enough lasers.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm more than halfway through my laser course in London..

The big question of 'has it worked?' is a difficult one to answer.
Before I commenced the laser therapy, I already had tiny baby-like strands (barely visible) which seem to be not growing any longer (while existing hair continues to grow), so my receded areas are not completely clear and shiny...
I have followed absolutely everything they recommended, plus the use of DHT-suppressing vitamins (zinc/saw palmetto/pumpkin oil) and drink lots of green tea. To this day, I have nothing which can be visible as 'a new bunch of hair'. At close examination, these baby strands are still there, but whether more of it has appeared is very difficult to quantify.
Their regular hair examination during the course apparently revealed that my roots are now healthier and stronger (their words, which I feel very sceptical about), and apparently the level of DHT attacking my hair before I commenced treatment has reduced (again, who knows...whatever they claimed to have been looking at wasn't apparent to me). So I guess I am just not convinced it's done me any good. I guess I shall persist till the end of the 6-months, and after that I would be adamant that my only hope is transplants!

tangled

Reaction score
I used the laser cap for 10 months.

Excessive itching and lost half my hair.

Took about a year to grow it back.

Cost me $1000 usd to buy it.

i used it as or less than recommended.

started with 10 minutes a couple days a week.

Horrible experience.