Laser Comb. Real Or Just Snake Oil?

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about adding a laser comb to my routine. Is this just expensive snake oil or is there any merit? I'm also assuming this works better on short hair.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My understanding of using laser: it can stimulate growth to the existing hair, in a way similar to Minoxidil. It can also increase the length of hair growth cycle giving your hair a better chance to grow, so I wouldn't call it a complete con.
However, I'll have to agree with comments above. Laser combs are overpriced, too small to cover your full head (unless you buy a large one to sit under it for a length of time). Going to a clinic to have it done costs an outrageous amount of cash for the little potential gain.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right now, I just roller derm and use minoxidil. I was looking into a third, non chemical, non irritating method to stimulate hair growth.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My understanding of using laser: it can stimulate growth to the existing hair, in a way similar to Minoxidil. It can also increase the length of hair growth cycle giving your hair a better chance to grow, so I wouldn't call it a complete con.
However, I'll have to agree with comments above. Laser combs are overpriced, too small to cover your full head (unless you buy a large one to sit under it for a length of time). Going to a clinic to have it done costs an outrageous amount of cash for the little potential gain.
It is very expensive, however, if it can help even slightly to reduce hair loss or even regrow it, I might be willing to make the investment. Are there any sides to using it? Does it interfere with my routine of minoxidil, finasteride, and derma rolling? Thanks

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My knowledge is limited but I can tell you my experience. I had a a course of 24 weeks (once a week) with a so-called clinic which I would NOT recommend. I would have the laser for 45-60min a go, with no concerns for Minoxidil. I was not on Finasteride at the time (the clinic advised against it, because they wanna sell you their laser treatment). No mention about derma rolling but I doubt it would interfere with it.
This clinic was run by a bunch of slimey salesmen who were supposedly 'trichologists' (I doubt they're even qualified). They are convincing at pushing their sales, but once you sign on dotted line their attitude completely change. Their supposed regular 'check up' involved using a USB cheap-*** microscope which zooms in on your scalp, and some blatant lies about how you have progressed and benefited so much from the laser, and you should continue further etc.
This clinic is called Hair Growth Centre, based in Wembley London. Stay AWAY.
If you do find a good ethical affordable clinic, sure....give it a go as an addition to your existing regiment.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My knowledge is limited but I can tell you my experience. I had a a course of 24 weeks (once a week) with a so-called clinic which I would NOT recommend. I would have the laser for 45-60min a go, with no concerns for Minoxidil. I was not on Finasteride at the time (the clinic advised against it, because they wanna sell you their laser treatment). No mention about derma rolling but I doubt it would interfere with it.
This clinic was run by a bunch of slimey salesmen who were supposedly 'trichologists' (I doubt they're even qualified). They are convincing at pushing their sales, but once you sign on dotted line their attitude completely change. Their supposed regular 'check up' involved using a USB cheap-*** microscope which zooms in on your scalp, and some blatant lies about how you have progressed and benefited so much from the laser, and you should continue further etc.
This clinic is called Hair Growth Centre, based in Wembley London. Stay AWAY.
If you do find a good ethical affordable clinic, sure....give it a go as an addition to your existing regiment.
Thanks for the experience. I would never bother with a clinic even IF they are reputable. The only way I would bother was if there was a hat or comb I could use while watching tv or something.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Without looking into the details (voltage/frequency etc), I would think the equipment the clinic has would exceed the price that most of us would be able to afford, and they are quite sizeable (think those dome shaped hair dryers in hair salons). I simply don't have the space at home for such an equipment.
A comb may be affordable at a push, but they only cover a small section of your head. I have no idea whether the lasers are the same quality, and I couldn't be holding it up for 45-60min. Perhaps a helmet could be ok... An acquaintance bought a cheap one from some dodgy Chinese website but as he approached NW7, he basically gave up on it so noone knows how it would have worked lol.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Without looking into the details (voltage/frequency etc), I would think the equipment the clinic has would exceed the price that most of us would be able to afford, and they are quite sizeable (think those dome shaped hair dryers in hair salons). I simply don't have the space at home for such an equipment.
A comb may be affordable at a push, but they only cover a small section of your head. I have no idea whether the lasers are the same quality, and I couldn't be holding it up for 45-60min. Perhaps a helmet could be ok... An acquaintance bought a cheap one from some dodgy Chinese website but as he approached NW7, he basically gave up on it so noone knows how it would have worked lol.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to abandon the laser idea. Lol. I'm a bit frantic about putting together a good plan. Im exploring all possibilities. Most people on this site would hate me, but this minor hair loss at 38 years old has bugged me. Plus, I figure if I put a solid plan Imight be able to stop this very slow hair loss.

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about adding a laser comb to my routine. Is this just expensive snake oil or is there any merit? I'm also assuming this works better on short hair.
2 months with irestore and been using it religiously every other day as instructed. Maybe less shedding, but no regrowth yet. My hairline’s receding more and more too sadly. It doesn’t look like it’ll save my hairline, but maybe Ill see results later on for my vertex or crown.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2 months with irestore and been using it religiously every other day as instructed. Maybe less shedding, but no regrowth yet. My hairline’s receding more and more too sadly. It doesn’t look like it’ll save my hairline, but maybe Ill see results later on for my vertex or crown.
Are you doing anything other than the irestore?

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nizoral and dermarolling. I just purchased finasteride and plan on using it soon if I don’t yield results from irestore by month 4
have you been using nizoral and dermarolling for much time? Hop on the finasteride man. I split a 1mg into fourths and take .25mg daily

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
have you been using nizoral and dermarolling for much time? Hop on the finasteride man. I split a 1mg into fourths and take .25mg daily

I’ve been on nizoral for 3-4 months now and dermarolling for 2 months, but just started using it consistently on the hairline every week for a month now.

Yes i guess I should get on finasteride right when it comes here, but I wanted to test LLLT and update others who wanted to try to use lllt as a standalone without any significant drugs like minoxidil or finasteride.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been on nizoral for 3-4 months now and dermarolling for 2 months, but just started using it consistently on the hairline every week for a month now.

Yes i guess I should get on finasteride right when it comes here, but I wanted to test LLLT and update others who wanted to try to use lllt as a standalone without any significant drugs like minoxidil or finasteride.
Yeah. That probably would be much smarter than what I'm doing. I'm using "every trick in the book" on my hair loss. Basically, this will mean that IF I get good results, I won't know what did what. My whole thought process came down to this: I'm 38 so I don't have the rebounding potential that the younger guys have. That's definitely working against me. If I don't start reversing it now, my time is up. Luckily, I also have a positive working for me. I'm 38 and just realized I had thinned. I have very slow/ non aggressive hair loss.

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. That probably would be much smarter than what I'm doing. I'm using "every trick in the book" on my hair loss. Basically, this will mean that IF I get good results, I won't know what did what. My whole thought process came down to this: I'm 38 so I don't have the rebounding potential that the younger guys have. That's definitely working against me. If I don't start reversing it now, my time is up. Luckily, I also have a positive working for me. I'm 38 and just realized I had thinned. I have very slow/ non aggressive hair loss.

Lol yeah, I understand. I’ve been hesitant on finasteride because like u said if LLLT works I won’t know for sure. 38 and balding isn’t so bad. I started balding at 15 with a norwood 6-7 diffuse pattern. Still luckily for me right now it isn’t noticeable at all & finasteride should save me a few years till new treatments come out.