Laser Comb/Big Idea

pikehunter

Reaction score
I saw Donny Deutch's Big Idea Hair Loss Special recently which featured everyone from Bosley to the top hairpiece makers. The part that impressed me was the CEO from HairMax who presented the FDA's recent approval of their Laser Comb for hair growth. I thought this was exciting as its use only requires about 10 min./day 3X/week. Has anyone used this product?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
pretty much garbage...Please dont spend 600 dollars on that...if you wanna go that route there are other laser combs for the fraction of the prize.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
pretty much garbage...Please dont spend 600 dollars on that...if you wanna go that route there are other laser combs for the fraction of the prize.

pikehunter

Reaction score
What is behind the FDA's approval then? I am a big fan of dietary supplements and don't like the FDA BECAUSE they are leary of giving approval unless things have been shown to work. If they have given it approval, (1)why then would it be "garbage"? (2) Where did the tested hair growth the FDA saw come from? (3) What technology would another company have that HairMax wouldn't and most importantly: (4)who are these companies who have 'laser combs' that aren't 'garbage'?

grabber

Established Member
Reaction score
When the lasercomb was not FDA approved, lots of folks here were saying nah... they are not FDA approved.... so dont touch it, Garbage etc.... Now they are FDA approved.... they are all saying nah.....FDA means nothing... blah blah blah....
They incleased the hair count by 19cm3 during the FDA test...... how much hair have you increased with your finasteride ?

Do yourself a favour, (like i did) Go and buy one. Add this comb to your actual regime. We can now talk about the Big 4 regime.

Have a nice day.

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
The study speaks for itself 19hairs/cm2 over six months for 93% of them versus the placebo group who were given a dummy device. To say it wasnt thorough either is wrong, their first effort at doing it was turned down by the FDA as it didnt meet their standards and the clearance is NOT just to say its safe, it has to be effective at regrowth, otherwise they cant advertise that it can, hence all the trouble they've gone through. Sure there are other lasers out there that are cheaper, but this is the only one proven scientifically, not just anecdotes on a message board. Good enough for me, i've bought one.

grabber

Established Member
Reaction score
indie85 said:
The study speaks for itself 19hairs/cm2 over six months for 93% of them versus the placebo group who were given a dummy device. To say it wasnt thorough either is wrong, their first effort at doing it was turned down by the FDA as it didnt meet their standards and the clearance is NOT just to say its safe, it has to be effective at regrowth, otherwise they cant advertise that it can, hence all the trouble they've gone through. Sure there are other lasers out there that are cheaper, but this is the only one proven scientifically, not just anecdotes on a message board. Good enough for me, i've bought one.

I have noticed that once i use the comb... i feel like tired... want to go to sleep... is it the same for you ?

Thin Jim

Reaction score
I used the hairmax laser comb for almost a year. I used it 3x a week going front to back and then left to right twice each. It would take me around 20 min to do it. I got absolutely no results from it. The thing is a piece of crap. The build quality is awful and the connector from the mains to the comb got real dodgy and I would spent 10 mins trying to get it to work each time. I also felt real stupid pointing this thing at my head and it really felt like it was doing nothing.

Its a plastic piece of crap, do not waste your money. If you are determined to buy one do not get the hairmax get a different brand. I spent like 300 pounds on this thing, and feel ripped off. During the time I was using this thing was when my hair got to its worst ever state. Now I'm on Dutas with spironolactone and have stopped the laser my hair is looking the best it has done in 2 years.

pikehunter

Reaction score
With all due respect "Thin Jim", how do you explain the 93% growth report verified by the FDA. Are you disputing the FDA's supervision and judgement of the tests on the product or are you saying you are just one of the unlucky 7%?

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
grabber said:
I have noticed that once i use the comb... i feel like tired... want to go to sleep... is it the same for you ?
Its not arrived yet, I only ordered it on thursday, but I will keep everyone posted on my results once it arrives.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
Despite the FDA approval I'm still skeptical about it, and so, it seems, are others:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/02/21/i ... lasercomb/

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/02/15/w ... rcomb-now/

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/02/23/c ... lasercomb/

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/02/09/h ... -approval/

Though none of these posts seem to tackle the actual results of the tests that were presented to the FDA, if you read between the lines I think Dr Rassman believes the tests were not as independantly adjudicated as they should have been...

But if you have money to burn, go ahead and use it... but for the love of god, if you do it and don't take an internal dht inhibitor...well you're braver than me. Experiment on your own head, it's your hair. At least we know how things like finasteride work, the company behind the laser comb have apparently not published the science behind their device...

kingel

Reaction score
Why is the DHT inhibitor especially needed with the lasers?

I thought in the tests they have stated the subjects weren't on anything.

I am on minoxidil and have thought about getting the comb, but am nervous of the finasteride drug from the nasty side effects I hear about, so if I have to go on the drug, I might pass on the laser

trevorr77

Reaction score
Stu85 said:
Despite the FDA approval I'm still skeptical about it, and so, it seems, are others:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/02/21/i ... lasercomb/

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/02/15/w ... rcomb-now/

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/02/23/c ... lasercomb/

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/02/09/h ... -approval/

Though none of these posts seem to tackle the actual results of the tests that were presented to the FDA, if you read between the lines I think Dr Rassman believes the tests were not as independantly adjudicated as they should have been...

But if you have money to burn, go ahead and use it... but for the love of god, if you do it and don't take an internal dht inhibitor...well you're braver than me. Experiment on your own head, it's your hair. At least we know how things like finasteride work, the company behind the laser comb have apparently not published the science behind their device...

Those are all from the same person though. I am sure there are a lot of skeptical people out there. I find it hard to believe that there isn't anyone on here that has used it as its supposed to be used for a long period of time that couldn't share their results, positive OR negative for the rest of us.

trevorr77

Reaction score
I was doing a little studying on this product and I noticed that there are actually a lot of these products out there and the lexington product might be one of the weaker products on the market. The big rip on it is that it uses just 1 laser and refracts it with mirrors into 8 or whatever it has. Has anyone used any of the other products out there? There is one I am looking at called Laser Max, its made by a company that makes laser products and it has full powered lasers throughout its products. Another, called Hair Full Laser Comb seems to have a few different types of lasers (and LED's which I think are just a sham). just thought I would see if anyone on here did any looking into the OTHER products!

simo

Reaction score
I have a comb ordered, so will post my results... To Kingel. I think a DHT inhibitor is advised no matter what. Taking one reduces the cause of hair loss in most people. I brought up the the side effects, with my Doctor he said he'd drop dead before i grow titties, go limp or won't be able to pack my usual punch! btw you can take herbal alternatives if necessary. You'd only be taking 25% of the regular dosage anyway. also if you do experence side effects, stop takign it and they go away... trust me i was concerned also. You should go to your doctor he will monitor your blood presure and check your pulse is good as it sometime can lower your blood presure but unless you have low blood presure, it should be ok...

I think the 3 key areas should always be used, ie, anti inflammatory, anti dht and mindoxal.... What i see the laser comb being is a bit of equipment that will help blood flow around the head and encourage the hair to become more then wispy regrowth....

I'll keep you posted after a few months