Large pharmacy chain or small one (guys in UK)

petemitchell

Reaction score
Blood results were all normal, so my GP has given me a prescription for Propecia (I'm scared sh*tless!!). Just wondering if any of the guys in the UK know where's best to get it. Is it likely to be cheaper at a 'big' pharmacy like Boots or at a small independent one? At the moment I'd rather buy through the chemist than online so anyone's help would be most appreciated.

SE-freak

Reaction score
A bit off topic: Being sceptical before using drugs is a sign of maturity. Just dont let your fear project sides on you. Try and think for 2 minutes that your balls are being crushed and you will know what I mean.

Best of luck.

petemitchell

Reaction score
Cheers mate. I'm quite a strong believer in positive thinking, though when I go on propecia I know it's going to be REALLY hard not to have negative thoughts thinking it isn't working, or that it's going to give sides.

Back to the question, surely some of you guys must buy propecia over the counter in chemists in the UK and can advise where it's cheapest?

danes

Reaction score
Where to buy in UK??......so Expensive!!!!

Hi,

I am in the exact same position as yourself and in fact purchased my first months supply of Propecia today from Boots.

To be hynest I was pi!*ed off with the cost, My Doctor said they are can not be prescribed on NHS and will cost £27.00 for 1 months supply, but just been to Boots in lunch hour and was charged £37.56 for 28 pills, £1.35 a pill, and I am meant to be taking these for at least a year!!!

I hope it bloody does work, if you see me on Crimewatch UK you know it was for my next dose of propecia.

Anyway all jokes a side let me know how you get on and what else you are taking to conquor the baldness.

best of luck

p.s positive thinking does go a long way

petemitchell

Reaction score
Cheers Danes, I appreciate your reply mate, hope things go well for you.

I wonder if your GP's right though and we should be paying around £27 for a months supply but big companies like Boots are over-charging? My GP told me to shop around as chemists can charge whatever they like for it as it's a private prescription, I don't really fancy going into a whole load of chemists asking how much they'll charge when there'll probably be a que and the person behind the counter will probably ask what it's for in front of lots of people!

I'll have to get the yellow pages out!

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
If you've got a prescription you can get it online from boots http://www.boots.com/microsites/microsi ... entId=3816

£29.96 for 28 pills which isn't to bad. Also saves you the worry of having to go the chemist to pick it up. Other online pharamacies probably do the same thing. I think pharmacy2u.co.uk does something similar so have a look around. Hope this helps you.

[EDIT]
Heres another:

http://www.paydenspharmacy.co.uk

probably a lot more around.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sh*t !! £30 a month, that's £360 a year !!!! :freaked:

I pay around £80 a year for Merck brand finasteride.

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
£30 for 28 Propecia tablets isn't bad. It is cheaper than Inhouse Pharmacy anyway. As Radio eluded to, you could save yourself a few quid by getting Proscar instead and cutting it into quarters or fifths. If you want to take less than 1mg it will be best to get Propecia as it is easier to cut into low doses.

petemitchell

Reaction score
Thanks Bert, much appreciated, £29.96 seems like a really good price. To Radio and Biff, I want to start off with propecia and see if it works first, if after a year or so it's doing some good I'll think about buying the cheaper proscar. At the minute, I want to keep things as simple as possible, trying to cut pills into exact equal amounts which I've heard is really hard to do is something I wanna give a miss at the minute.

Plus, it might be just me but there's something pyschological in taking the 'proper' stuff. (I mean proper in the sense propecia's marketed for hairloss)

Anyway, cheers guys, this thread's been a great help. Good luck to you all too.

Baldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Or you could just get some generics from Cipla...It will cost you about £150 for a years supply.... I know it works...well because I've got photo evidence. It's done a world of wonders for me. But I also understand that you are a bit weary of "dodgy" drugs. Just thought I'd let you know that the ones I've bought from inhouse pharmace has done the trick. Are they sugar pills? I don't think so. And if they are....then sugar is what my hair needs because it has improved drastically. I also buy generic minoxidil.

1 month supply of generic minoxidil. £5 a bottle from ebay (when buying 4)
1 month supply of generic finasteride (finpencia) £13 from inhouse pharmace

Total yearly cost: £216

1 month supply of Regaine: £15 (allcures.com)
1 month supply of Propecia: £30 (ish)

Total yearly cost: £540

The above calculation says it all.......it's about 129 pints of beer...or 170 if you live up north :)

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
petemitchell said:
Plus, it might be just me but there's something pyschological in taking the 'proper' stuff. (I mean proper in the sense propecia's marketed for hairloss)

I have a theory.

The Propecia trials were done before the product was available to the consumer, before the packaging was devised, before even the name Propecia was settled on.

It would have been only after successfully gaining FDA approval that Merck would further invest in marketing, choosing a shape and colour for their 'new' product and so on.

We already know that Proscar was in production and readily available.

I don't think it unreasonable to consider that the Propecia trails were conducted with 1mg doses of Proscar, I use the name Proscar to make my point, in truth it was simply a 1mg dose of finasteride.

My conclusion is not only that Propecia and Proscar are the very same drug, we know this already by simply comparing the ingredients and seeing that they only differ by the colourant used in the coating, but that is just as valid to say that the trials were conducted with Proscar as much as it is valid to say they were conducted with (what would later be know as) 'Propecia'.

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
Baldie said:
Or you could just get some generics from Cipla...It will cost you about £150 for a years supply.... I know it works...well because I've got photo evidence. It's done a world of wonders for me. But I also understand that you are a bit weary of "dodgy" drugs. Just thought I'd let you know that the ones I've bought from inhouse pharmace has done the trick. Are they sugar pills? I don't think so. And if they are....then sugar is what my hair needs because it has improved drastically. I also buy generic minoxidil.

1 month supply of generic minoxidil. £5 a bottle from ebay (when buying 4)
1 month supply of generic finasteride (finpencia) £13 from inhouse pharmace

Total yearly cost: £216

1 month supply of Regaine: £15 (allcures.com)
1 month supply of Propecia: £30 (ish)

Total yearly cost: £540

The above calculation says it all.......it's about 129 pints of beer...or 170 if you live up north :)

so you don't use their FinCar then? Have you posted your photos I would be interested to see them.

Baldie

Established Member
Reaction score
I've posted my story and pics a million times....and asked a few questions with it but never got any replies so I stopped writing my story...here's a pic again. I do dye my hair though. The hair on top is quite a bit lighter than the sides. But the dye does wonders and lasts for about a month or so.

And I don't use fincar because it's a pain to cut in 5...i don't want to do 1.25 a day (by cutting in 4)

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Baldie, that is pretty good progress!!

Especially so in just 9 months !!! :shock:

Keep us up to date.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Baldie, that is REDICULOUSLY good progress. IF that is indeed you, then congrats my friend!

Baldie

Established Member
Reaction score
That really is me....but those two picture make it look a bit better than it is. It IS good progress but the light is different in the 2 pics, the angle is slightly lower on the top one thus making it look like more hair and I just dyed my hair so it looks quite dark, but yes, it is a great improvement.

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, thats fair enough I find it pretty easy to cut fincar with the pill splitter i've got. Yeah sorry I've seen your pic's before and yeap that really is some awesome progress. If i remeber your story you started out with just minoxidil (had some awesome results) and then added finasteride and got some even better results. Anyways good luck and thanks for posting them.