Lady at Wal-Mart won't give me My PROSCAR!

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
wtf?

I have a script from my doctor that says on it proscar for hairloss cut in 1/4ths or 1/5ths.

It is written on the paper and this lady at walmart is denying me from getting it? Is this legal even if you have a script she said I am too young this medication is for men in there 40s and 50s.

???

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I assume it is a valid prescription...but yes, a pharmacist can make a judgement to refuse a prescription.

This one seems easy to solve, though. Take it to another pharmacy.

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
wow thats crap! Walmart is supposed to have the cheapest prices. Maybe I should go to walgreens or just order off drugstore.com and mail my script in?

I never knew they can deny you even if you have a valid script?

CCS

Reaction score
happens with the morning after pill all the time. Women run in to get it, are denied, and get pregnant as a result. Ruins lives.

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
happens with the morning after pill all the time. Women run in to get it, are denied, and get pregnant as a result. Ruins lives.
damn.

I dont get it Proscar is not a narcotic.

I know the standard rule is if you are gettin narcs you have to go thru a stricter process with Id check and everything. .

hairwegoagain

Reaction score

Those who refuse it might consider its administration as life-ruining. There's more than one perspective on the subject.

bustabucket

Established Member
Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:

Those who refuse it might consider its administration as life-ruining. There's more than one perspective on the subject.

You realize that the morning after pill is not an abortion pill, right?

Not to derail, but there's really no argument on the subject. Access to the morning after pill (and finasteride, lol) should be a basic human right.

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
Just because one pharmacist didn't want to fill it doesn't mean another wouldn't. Try going back to see if there is another Pharmacist working at the time. Most pharmacies have 2-4 different pharmacists working during a given week. If you're lucky it might be a male who would be more understanding for your male pattern baldness situation. You can also try another pharmacy.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
bustabucket said:
Not to derail, but there's really no argument on the subject. Access to the morning after pill (and finasteride, lol) should be a basic human right.

Of course there's an argument on the subject. There are folks that share your view, and those that mightily object to it. Both are vocal. That's an argument in my book.

I do not believe elective medication is a "basic human right."

ram_in_md

Reaction score
I don't see what argument would exist against getting a prescription given by a registered medical practitioner filled. Refusing to fill a legal prescription should be illegal and pharmacists should be compelled to fill them. And personally I feel denying a prescription like a morning after pill, in most cases is nothing but the pharmacist forcing his/her personal/moral beliefs on someone else. It has nothing to do with medical reasons.

ginner

Established Member
Reaction score
Did she object to giving you finasteride or was it that you wanted Proscar rather than Propecia? The latter I can understand (although I don't agree with it). But if she didn't think you should be on finasteride at all then that would really piss me off to. Was she even a pharmacist or just some girl working there? In any case these people aren't doctors and they should stop pretending they are.

And personally I think we should leave the abortion debate off this board. There are literally thousands of places on the net you can have that debate if you're so inclined. We're here to discuss hair loss.

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
ginner said:
Did she object to giving you finasteride or was it that you wanted Proscar rather than Propecia? The latter I can understand (although I don't agree with it). But if she didn't think you should be on finasteride at all then that would really piss me off to. Was she even a pharmacist or just some girl working there? In any case these people aren't doctors and they should stop pretending they are.

And personally I think we should leave the abortion debate off this board. There are literally thousands of places on the net you can have that debate if you're so inclined. We're here to discuss hair loss.

it said proscar for hairloss on my script. and it even said cut in 4ths or 5ths not taken whole thats what the script says.

I thinks she is a pharm tech.

She looked on the paper list and said she cannot give this to me because I am not of age? she said I am too young.

I never knew they had the authority to deny someone with a legit script?

ginner

Established Member
Reaction score
TonyTheTiger said:
it said proscar for hairloss on my script. and it even said cut in 4ths or 5ths not taken whole thats what the script says.

She looked on the paper list and said she cannot give this to me because I am not of age? she said I am too young.

Yeah, I understand that. But we don't know whether she objected to giving you finasteride or Proscar as opposed to Propecia. Personally, I think she should have just filled it in the absence of any obvious contraindications but at least I could understand a refusal to give you Proscar. I can't understand a refusal to give you finasteride in general.

The drug (at 1mg per day) is indicated as effective and safe for people 18 and over so according to the FDA there is no problem. I don't know what makes this woman think she knows better. But I can see how she might not want to give you Proscar despite what the script says.

The short answer to your question is no, she does not have to fill your script. But like other posters have said all you have to do is take it somewhere else. They just lose your business. It shouldn't make much difference to you in the long run.

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
ginner said:
[quote="TonyTheTiger

Yeah, I understand that. But we don't know whether she objected to giving you finasteride or Proscar as opposed to Propecia. Personally, I think she should have just filled it in the absence of any obvious contraindications but at least I could understand a refusal to give you Proscar. I can't understand a refusal to give you finasteride in general.

The drug (at 1mg per day) is indicated as effective and safe for people 18 and over so according to the FDA there is no problem. I don't know what makes this woman think she knows better. But I can see how she might not want to give you Proscar despite what the script says.

The short answer to your question is no, she does not have to fill your script. But like other posters have said all you have to do is take it somewhere else. They just lose your business. It shouldn't make much difference to you in the long run.[/quote]

true

I just dont get it it said cut it in 1/4th for hairloss on the script I guess they dont read?

oh well