Lactate, Possibly A Cheap Simple Addition To Improve Results

dietcoke1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is the study.
https://stemcell.ucla.edu/news/ucla-scientists-identify-new-way-activate-stem-cells-make-hair-grow

Thought this is relevant to bring up for discussion. Lactic acid topically is clearly out of the question. Sodium lactate is a fairly common cosmetic additive that is ph neutral and acts like glycerin to increase hydration of the area and apparently the skin already makes it and can break it down to lactate. So essentially sodium lactate could provide a slow release fuel of lactate throughout the day and night to encourage more hair stem cell proliferation while improving the condition of the scalp at the same time by hydrating it. I assume soduim lactate would be the best choice but maybe there is a better option? This seems like a very low risk thing to try with potential benefit at the very least of a better hydrated scalp with maybe less irritation because of it. Usage rate is commonly around 1-5%, a person could easily just add that to an existing topical. Incorporation is easy too, no special solvents or anything needed. It's like 4 dollars for the crystals on lotioncrafter.com

Last edited:

dietcoke1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
So do you guys think Sodium Lactate is the best chemical choice? Also to use around the standard 1-5% commonly used for it's humectant properties or to actually increase that amount further? I think the post got lost because of when I chose to post it lol.

Flagermus

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noob question: Why is lactic acid out of the question? Isn't it often used in skin cleansers? AHA?

dietcoke1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noob question: Why is lactic acid out of the question? Isn't it often used in skin cleansers? AHA?
The PH. It's an exfoliating acid, It will miniaturize the hair follicles in the surrounding area by eating away at the hair shaft over time. From what I've read, I believe even if it was ph adjusted like in skincare products and set to a neutral ph it would still have the same effect. When they ph adjust these acids in skincare apparently in the formula all the acid isn't at that ph or neutralized. The higher the ph the less of the acid is active basically, the active part gets absorbed and gets to work in the skin right away. In this case the large amount of acid that's been ph balanced sits on the skin and slowly converts like a slow release which would still give the effect of eating away at the hair shaft over time although to a lesser extent. Most of the acid is wasted when it's ph adjusted to a neutral level since most of it won't "time release" in the amount of time before the next topical application is how I understand it. Sodium lactate from how I understand it is just fundamentally different so that isn't an issue. But you can buy magnesium, and calcium lactate supplements. So that's why I'm wondering if there are better options and so on since I'm not knowledgeable in organic chemistry. Maybe also taking a bunch of magnesium lactate supplements would have a benefit for all I know. There is a high amount of lactate to magnesium in the ratio. I know I went on a bit but I hate it when people are vague.