Lack of sleep leads to hair loss?

MrDepressed

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I slept for 4 hours or less will male pattern baldness accelerate? I remember struggling with so much insomnia last summer because I've been using snake oil products and worrying about the future of going bald like thinking about it so much (the time before I started finasteride) which I got very depressed and stressed from it. I also spent so much time staring at myself on mirror or camera of my phone and even I ditched school, avoided social situations and even refused to have my pictures taken so I'm not sure if I do have BDD.
What worried me if is it also true that lack of sleep can affect male pattern baldness accelerating the process while on finasteride??? I've been asking myself this question a long time when I started finasteride. Should I be worried or I'm thinking too much??

kveezy33

Reaction score
It's too complex to have a definite answer. Male Pattern Baldness is still not well understood. We do know it's related to hormonal imbalance and inflammation. Chronic lack of sleep causes hormonal disruption, but who knows how much role that plays in it.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it causes stress then it may. Stress tends to raise prolactin levels, which in turn can damage follicles and contribute to miniaturization. Many people like to say stress has no effect on male pattern baldness but I believe they're being wilfully ignorant.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to shed more when I slept for only a few hours or didn't sleep at all, but that was during my bout with finasteride induced Telogen Effluvium.

When I was 13, over the summer I'd stay awake for 4 days in a row, sleep 8 hours, then repeat. Never had any hair loss or shedding from that.

Tottenham

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to shed more when I slept for only a few hours or didn't sleep at all, but that was during my bout with finasteride induced Telogen Effluvium.

When I was 13, over the summer I'd stay awake for 4 days in a row, sleep 8 hours, then repeat. Never had any hair loss or shedding from that.

Runescape?

MrDepressed

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it causes stress then it may. Stress tends to raise prolactin levels, which in turn can damage follicles and contribute to miniaturization. Many people like to say stress has no effect on male pattern baldness but I believe they're being wilfully ignorant.
Stress can lead to baldness itself, even up to three months after a stressful/depressing event. Sad but true.

However, lack of sleep can lead to baldness, and much worse problems (diabetes type II, for example). Don't
skip on sleep. And if you have to, try to go to bed earlier instead of sleeping in. Sleep is essential to development
and health.

Is that true fact or your opinions? Today I was just told that lack of sleep causes stress of course, but the way it affects hair loss is only Telogen Effluvium which is temporary.... Which now I'm very confused...

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is that true fact or your opinions? Today I was just told that lack of sleep causes stress of course, but the way it affects hair loss is only Telogen Effluvium which is temporary.... Which now I'm very confused...
No, prolactin is proven to aid in the miniaturization process.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I slept for 4 hours or less will male pattern baldness accelerate? I remember struggling with so much insomnia last summer because I've been using snake oil products and worrying about the future of going bald like thinking about it so much (the time before I started finasteride) which I got very depressed and stressed from it. I also spent so much time staring at myself on mirror or camera of my phone and even I ditched school, avoided social situations and even refused to have my pictures taken so I'm not sure if I do have BDD.
What worried me if is it also true that lack of sleep can affect male pattern baldness accelerating the process while on finasteride??? I've been asking myself this question a long time when I started finasteride. Should I be worried or I'm thinking too much??

Melatonin is linked to sleep and hair growth, but if interfere with hairloss must be overall hairs in a diffusse ocurrence

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You f*****g c*** screw you man, just f*** you. I found the truth and DO NOT ever try to scare me by saying got it you bastard?!
f*** off, idiot. Everything I said is factual. Have fun going bald.

abcdefg

Reaction score
It's too complex to have a definite answer. Male Pattern Baldness is still not well understood. We do know it's related to hormonal imbalance and inflammation. Chronic lack of sleep causes hormonal disruption, but who knows how much role that plays in it.

Yeah really like 95 percent of questions on male pattern baldness could be summed up with this. We can all guess at what we think. I dont know how much current evidence really points at sleep as any major factor.

abcdefg

Reaction score

The whole issue though what proof is there that it does? Just because something sounds nice doesnt make it true, and medicine really falls woefully short at figuring out these kinds of relationships. Its just too complicated and poorly understood

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The whole issue though what proof is there that it does? Just because something sounds nice doesnt make it true, and medicine really falls woefully short at figuring out these kinds of relationships. Its just too complicated and poorly understood
Certain cases of hair loss have been attributed to hyperprolactinemia. Stress produces higher levels of prolactin. Whether the effect is substantial, I can not be sure. We know so little about these processes that you can't be sure of anything. My issue is this b**ch coming in here and acting like a tough guy. And this was 10 months ago; wtf?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Really man, just really. PROVE and SHOW me proof HOW exactly stress can lead to baldness?

It can definitely cause it. But it comes months later after the stressful event. When my parents died, and
close family members died, I lost a lot of ground months after the event. Everybody is different, but it can
lead to hair loss months later.