L- Pantothenic acid and ​L-Cysteine Works to lower Sebum

HairShocka

Reaction score
This isn't a cure for hairloss. It may or may not have any effect in slowing down the hairloss process. However, if you want to lower sebum production and prevent acne like bumps from forming on the scalp like I've been experiencing since Androgenetic Alopecia kicked in, this has worked to manage that:

L- Pantothenic acid 500mg and ​L-Cysteine 50mg : Twice Daily

It basically, helps make co-enzyme A in your body which lowers sebum production.

Too much L-Pantothenic acid depletes vit B so I switch to just 1 daily dose to maintain once I'm clear and also take Biotin twice a week.

If you have acne on your face, this clears it up as well.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
It won't work for anyone. And these dosages are ridiculous.

The only supplement that's truly effective to lower sebum is megadoses of vitamin A.

It seems scary I know but nothing else will give substantial results.

I've been taking these megadoses for 3 years now and it's been working like a charm for my sebum.

This is an outrage! I want to see a double blind study!!

maher

Banned
Reaction score
You should know better, we are all about science on this forum. I still want to see this paper. Correlation does not imply causation. Next thing you'll see, someone will claim NoFap stops male pattern baldness...

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score

The only supplement that's truly effective to lower sebum is megadoses of vitamin A.

I've been taking these megadoses for 3 years now and it's been working like a charm for my sebum.

yep, Accutane works wonders reducing sebumproduction, it induces apotosis of the sebaceous glands. 3 years seems like a long time taking accutane, how about the side effects?

was considering taking Accutane, until I read it can cause or increase hair loss in some people. Hair needs sebum, don't think shutting down all sebumproduction is a good idea either.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Anyway, i dont like this paper. Its old, outdated study done only on 30 subjects. Reduction of sebum could mean anything...seasonal change, nofap.. even PMS..

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyway, i dont like this paper. Its old, outdated study done only on 30 subjects. Reduction of sebum could mean anything...seasonal change, nofap.. even PMS..

Accutane totally reduces sebum, know many people with rosacea/SD with excess sebumproduction who take Accutane and have successful results. Even after quitting Accutane, the results are long lasting.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Now you're going to say that Accutane is a lie and doesn't work for acne? Get a brain.

I never said that.Excess of sebum doesnt neceserally lead to acne. I actually know a guy with constantly greassy skin and hair- he never had acne or male pattern baldness.

You're the one trolling.

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
True but acne is always caused by excess of sebum. No sebum, no acne, as we can see with Accutane.

Acne is caused by excess sebum, but excess sebum doesn't always mean you get acne. I have really oily skin and scalp but no acne. Don't really understand why either.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
True but acne is always caused by excess of sebum. No sebum, no acne, as we can see with Accutane.

Overly active sub. glands is only one of many things that could cause acne. Just like excessive masturbation-> male pattern baldness. And you can't disapprove it.

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
Overly active sub. glands is only one of many things that could cause acne. Just like excessive masturbation-> male pattern baldness. And you can't disapprove it.

Its not overly active sebaceous glands, I think the inflammation of the skin causes the sebaceous glands to enlarge, which causes more sebumproduction, that's why Accutane works, it reduces the size of these glands.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
My point is that this is an alternative treatments thread. These "treatments" are not founded on evidence gathered using the scientific method... And if Hairsocka shares his experience with us thats great- we should be thankful, he doesnt deserved to be red flagged by FredTheBelgian bully... who btw makes same, unproven claims.

This isn't a cure for hairloss. It may or may not have any effect in slowing down the hairloss process. However, if you want to lower sebum production and prevent acne like bumps from forming on the scalp like I've been experiencing since Androgenetic Alopecia kicked in, this has worked to manage that:

L- Pantothenic acid 500mg and ​L-Cysteine 50mg : Twice Daily

It basically, helps make co-enzyme A in your body which lowers sebum production.

Too much L-Pantothenic acid depletes vit B so I switch to just 1 daily dose to maintain once I'm clear and also take Biotin twice a week.

If you have acne on your face, this clears it up as well.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Acne is caused by excess sebum, but excess sebum doesn't always mean you get acne. I have really oily skin and scalp but no acne. Don't really understand why either.
Acne is caused by excess and deteriorated sebum (Rancid)

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Patothenic acid L-Cysteine have never been proven to reduce sebum production. There are just anecdotal stories, which are not evidence.

And thats exactly what alternative treatments section is all about!

And, btw, there are many reports on patothenic acid reduce oil accumulation in the skin, and thereby reduce or eliminate acne.

Ryath

Reaction score
Ever heard of Acctuane? It's an acne medication, isotretinoin, and it's in fact vitamin A on steroids, one normal dose is actually 300000 IU of vitamin A.

How does it work? It shuts down your sebum production so your acne clears up. We all know Accutane is proven to work.

I don't think you will find much studies about vitamin A because it is automatically labelled toxic in high doses by the medical community.

But of course Accutane which is a 100x more potent form of vitamin A is not. That's why vitamin A will automatically be dismissed to treat acne.

Actually there are several studies multicenter of isotreonin as treatment of acné vulgaris from 1983 there are at least 30 years of experience with medication with retinoides its a first línea treatment of severe and moderare persistent acné, you can find them on pubmed but most if then arent avaliable for full review cause medical studies before 90 arent digitalized on the internet, you can find the abstract although.

- - - Updated - - -

There are plenity of studies of retinoids for treatment of severe acné and yes they are old because after 90 no physician will try to prove eficacy on a medication well proven by large population, if you dont believe ask a dermatologist or look the the european recomendation guidelines of acné treatment

HairShocka

Reaction score
Hey guys. I did't think my post would make this FredtheBelgiun guy so angry and I apologize if it agitated anyone else. However, I don't think I deserve to be flagged and given negative reputation points for this thread. If I'm not getting booted from the forum, I can live with it but just saying.

All I was trying to say is, using my regimen to make more Coenzyme A worked to reduce sebum for me. That's it. If there's scientific backing that this has been disproved or is unhealthy, I'd be more than interested to learn about it.

I understand that low dose accutane works. It physically shrinks the sebaceous gland. But I'm not into taking prescription meds anymore and I thought some people may be on a similar boat as me. I haven't tried megadosing on vit A and don't plan on it since my regimen works for me.

LayZ

Reaction score
And thats exactly what alternative treatments section is all about!

And, btw, there are many reports on patothenic acid reduce oil accumulation in the skin, and thereby reduce or eliminate acne.

So, according to you the alternative treatment section is akin to sitting around the campfire telling ghost stories...

Using the word "alternative" doesn't entitle you or anybody else free reign in making claims of efficacy. Period.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys. I did't think my post would make this FredtheBelgiun guy so angry and I apologize if it agitated anyone else. However, I don't think I deserve to be flagged and given negative reputation points for this thread. If I'm not getting booted from the forum, I can live with it but just saying.

All I was trying to say is, using my regimen to make more Coenzyme A worked to reduce sebum for me. That's it. If there's scientific backing that this has been disproved or is unhealthy, I'd be more than interested to learn about it.

I understand that low dose accutane works. It physically shrinks the sebaceous gland. But I'm not into taking prescription meds anymore and I thought some people may be on a similar boat as me. I haven't tried megadosing on vit A and don't plan on it since my regimen works for me.

You need to understand that you're in no position to make this claim, even on a personal level.

The use of PA to reduce sebum production and acne outbreaks are based on 2 non robust papers distributed on the net. Both by people/entities that brought PA containing products to market prior releasing said papers. Leung's hypothetical paper quotes his own study which he never published, sheesh.

Basing ones decision making on anecdotal observations is pure gambling. The odds are then set by using what rigorous scientific background is available as well as it's use/interpretation. No easy feat.

Even then, any results would be interpreted as preliminary and further more robust investigation would be required. The process would be ongoing and improved/discarded based on clear results.

You want to remove as much guesswork as possible from the game to make any sort of meaningful conclusion. And all you've contributed is guesswork.

Certainly no crime, but recognize it for what it is.

hope777

Reaction score

not sure it's a good thing for hair loss though,
many sources claim too much of vitamin A cause hair loss (for example: https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hair-loss/who-gets-causes).
it's not a study, but you may want to do some research about it (update on your findings).

I guess a rule of thumb for most vitamins is get enough, not too much.