L-Arginine helpful for hair re-growth?

oaslam

Reaction score
Does L-Arginine have any effect on hair re-growth? Or are people just taking it for various other reasons?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
oaslam said:
Does L-Arginine have any effect on hair re-growth? Or are people just taking it for various other reasons?

I think its one of the treatments that people are not sure if it does help or not. I have heard yes and no... more then likely no, but most take it for an increased libido when they are on propecia. Thats why I take it.

G

Re: Good article

oaslam said:
That was an informative article. Thanks.

If you have herpes virus of any type, you have to be carefull. Arginine will activate them big time.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you have herpes virus of any type, you have to be carefull. Arginine will activate them big time.

Bruce! Is there something your not telling us? :freaked2:

G

Lizzad said:

Bruce! Is there something your not telling us? :freaked2:

I have oral herpes, had it since I was a baby. It is a real pain in the... well face. Anyway, if you have herpes, Arginine can activate it since the little virus feeds on arginine.

Word to the wise.

G

Ty said something that arginine could also make brain herpes worse. Lol. I dont know whether brain herpes is a real ailment or not but i know i dont like the sound of it! :lol:

G

Do you guys remember Oxhide? He used to post here a lot and posted countless articles about arginine, mainly on that massive, massive thread about arginine which sadly seems to have dissapeared.

Wonder what happenned to him?

G

Zimmy said:
Ty said something that arginine could also make brain herpes worse. Lol. I dont know whether brain herpes is a real ailment or not but i know i dont like the sound of it! :lol:

Brain herpes is very real and very dangerous. So is occular herpes, which can lead to blindness.

This herpes virus is a bad mother and one to be avoided if at all possible.

G

Very simple. Arginine produces nitric oxide which is good for hair.

Redbone

Reaction score
Stay away from Herpes symplex 10 I know guys in the busines who got it and they are gonners.

Arginine is fine but just make sure you take some multivitamins and maybe an Antioxident like Green Tea or ALA. Man that stuff makes my dong work like a machine and they now compare my wads to Peter North.

G

http://www.about-genital-herpes.com/htm ... erpes.php3

Good site for general info on herpes virus.

Also see below:

There have been numerous studies conducted that reveal that two amino acids found in foods, Lysine and Arginine, have an effect on the herpes virus. These studies reveal that Lysine actually inhibits herpes viral activity while Arginine acts as a stimulant.

<http://allydee.com/images/meat.jpg> Whenever Lysine or Arginine is discussed in regards to the herpes virus, only a few foods are mentioned. For example, foods high in Lysine are diary products and meats, and foods high in Arginine are nuts and chocolate. But, what about everything else you put in your mouth? What about onions? Strawberries? Mustard? Tacos? You could be “feeding the virus” and never even know it! Just how is someone who is affected by the virus to know which foods they are to eat? This book gives you that knowledge.

This handy reference guide lists over 1000 foods that are consumed worldwide and reveals whether they are higher in Lysine or Arginine. It includes spices, snacks and foods such as tofu, carob and seaweed. It has a large vegetarian section and includes a “fast foods” section for foods purchased and eaten “on the run.” The Introduction explains how to use the book to guide you towards combining and consuming foods that will be higher in Lysine than Arginine.

This booklet has the information you want to know at a turn of a page!

The cover of Lysine vs Arginine, A Food Value Comparison Guide was designed for confidentiality to the reader and the book is mailed in a privacy envelope.
<http://allydee.com/images/clear.gif>
<http://allydee.com/images/footer.gif>

dis

Reaction score
I was looking into trying some oral L-arginine to see if it helps with hairloss. Can this be bought locally in health food stores in Canada? I am still not sure if I will try it or not but I was looking to add something simple to my regimen, but I did not want to add another topical.

My regime is Revivogen, spironolactone 5% in the evenings (1 – 1.5 hours apart), and I take 3 grams of oral MSM daily. I have been on Revivogen, spironolactone 5%, Nizoral 2% for 1.5 to 2 years and these treatments have slowed down my hair loss and I shed very little hair. However, the frontal portion of my head is thinning diffusely, and on the top as well. My hair loss is diffuse so you can see it’s thin when it’s wet and dry, but if I use a good shampoo like Revivogen shampoo or Nizoral, I can still hide my hair loss when it’s dry. Actually, I am grateful that these treatments have at least slowed down my hair loss since around 3.5 years ago when I first found this site I thought I would have been a NW3 today.

Anyway, I do not wish to use minoxidil right now, I would rather put that off as long as possible. So for those who have added oral l-arginine to there regimen, has it made any difference in maintaining or growing hair?

Thanks

G

Dis said:
I was looking into trying some oral L-arginine to see if it helps with hairloss. Can this be bought locally in health food stores in Canada? I am still not sure if I will try it or not but I was looking to add something simple to my regimen, but I did not want to add another topical.

My regime is Revivogen, spironolactone 5% in the evenings (1 – 1.5 hours apart), and I take 3 grams of Oral MSM daily. I have been on Revivogen, spironolactone 5%, Nizoral 2% for 1.5 to 2 years and these treatments have slowed down my hair loss and I shed very little hair. However, the frontal portion of my head is thinning diffusely, and on the top as well. My hair loss is diffuse so you can see it’s thin when it’s wet and dry, but if I use a good shampoo like Revivogen shampoo or Nizoral, I can still hide my hair loss when it’s dry. Actually, I am grateful that these treatments have at least slowed down my hair loss since around 3.5 years ago when I first found this site I thought I would have been a NW3 today.

Anyway, I do not wish to use minoxidil right now, I would rather put that off as long as possible. So for those who have added oral l-arginine to there regimen, has it made any difference in maintaining or growing hair?

Thanks

Use minoxidil now. The hair that you are losing while waiting is not going to come back. Use it or lose it.

dis

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
Dis said:
I was looking into trying some oral

Use minoxidil now. The hair that you are losing while waiting is not going to come back. Use it or lose it.

Well, you are probably right that minoxidil will work to grow hair in the front, but what I do not like about minoxidil is that I do not believe it does anything to stop hair loss. It grows hair by a mechanism that is unknown, and the hair loss continues if I use minoxidil or not. In other words, I think that if I only used minoxidil and did not use any 5ar inhibitors or androgen receptor blockers, then I would lose my hair anyway regardless of the minoxidil.

I think the minoxidil is great for growing hair, but since it does not treat the underlying problem the treatment does not seem to interest me. Another reason I don't want to add it right now is because more topicals will complicate my life if I am doing this on a daily basis. I will use it as a last resort. Perhaps I might have to add it within a year if no other options are available.

I used Prox-N for four months but stopped since it was too greasy for me to use in the morning and it was expensive for what it did. What do you think about SODs helping maintain the front portion? Also, has anyone had any benefit at all with oral L-arginine?

Thanks

G

minoxidil

Dis said:
BruceLee said:
Dis said:
I was looking into trying some oral

Well, you are probably right that minoxidil will work to grow hair in the front, but what I do not like about minoxidil is that I do not believe it does anything to stop hair loss. It grows hair by a mechanism that is unknown, and the hair loss continues if I use minoxidil or not. In other words, I think that if I only used minoxidil and did not use any 5ar inhibitors or androgen receptor blockers, then I would lose my hair anyway regardless of the minoxidil.

I think the minoxidil is great for growing hair, but since it does not treat the underlying problem the treatment does not seem to interest me. Another reason I don't want to add it right now is because more topicals will complicate my life if I am doing this on a daily basis. I will use it as a last resort. Perhaps I might have to add it within a year if no other options are available.

I used Prox-N for four months but stopped since it was too greasy for me to use in the morning and it was expensive for what it did. What do you think about SODs helping maintain the front portion? Also, has anyone had any benefit at all with oral L-arginine?

Thanks

I think the key take away is that you have to attack male pattern baldness three diff ways and ALL three ways if you want to really make a diff.

1. Stop DHT production --ie propecia

2. Stop inflammation--ie nizoral or TGEL

3. Stop minaturization--minoxidil

Any treatment plan without all three is doomed in my opinion.