Krox20 This Is About Both Pigmentation And Hair Loss.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is technically a 'Hair Loss' study, so if anyone wants to move it to another category please do.

http://genesdev.cshlp.org/content/early/2017/05/02/gad.298703.117.full.pdf

Here is a quote from end of 7th page...(mice were used to prove this hypothesis, Ugh)

Based on our work, we concluded that the transcription factor KROX20 marks a lineage of resident hair shaft pro- genitor cells in the follicular matrix. Therefore, we hy- pothesized that Krox20 lineage cells are indispensible for hair growth.

Curious if any of the hair-science-savy people have opinions or thoughts.
If this is already posted and discussed--appologies.

From discussion section
We identified that the transcription factor KROX20 marks a cell lineage differentiating toward the hair shaft and that SCF in these hair shaft progenitor cells acts as a critical in- trinsic rheostat of hair pigmentation by managing mature melanocyte in the upper HF matrix. Ablation of Scf in Krox20 lineage cells consequently leads to a complete ab- sence of hair pigmentation, showing an indispensible non- cell-autonomous SCF contribution to melanocytes and that Krox20 lineage cells are the main source of SCF for follicular mature melanocytes to produce hair pigment. The completion of hair regeneration is dependent on the presence of HF Krox20 lineage cells as the cells giving rise directly to hair shafts
(Fig. 7I).

from the image description
(I) Schematic illustration of the roles of SCF and Krox20 lineage cells in hair pigmen- tation and development. Lineage tracing of Krox20 lineage cells revealed a dynamic expansion toward the direction of hair-producing cells during HF mor- phogenesis in the upper HF matrix (red box). Hair pro- genitor cells sustain differentiated melanocytes through non-cell-autonomous SCF/KIT signaling. Depletion of SCF in hair progenitor cells results in loss of hair pigmentation. Depletion of Krox20 line- age cells, the cells that differentiate into hair-produc- ing cells, results in impaired hair regeneration. Bar, 50 μm.

Interestingly, Lin28a transgenic mice exhibit a thickened hair coat due to prolonged anagen (Shyh-Chang et al. 2013). These results suggest that KROX20 could be a downstream regulator for Lin28/Let-7-mediated perinatal development in both nerves and skin.

Moreover, Wnt activation leads to up-regulation of KROX20, and this induction can be synergized by BMP inhibition with noggin (Saint- Jeannet et al. 1997; Baker et al. 1999). Taken together with our findings, the functional prediction for KROX20 in HF development could be a downstream effector of Wnt/β-catenin and BMP signaling, thereby directing HF stem cell differentiation.

In conclusion, this study delineates the origin of SCF expression in the hair matrix progenitors as a niche for follicular mature melanocytes and that their SCF is indispensible for hair pigmentation. In addition, SCF ex- pression in the matrix identifies immediate antecedents of hair shaft structural cells, and transcription factor KROX20 marks a sublineage of epithelial cells differen- tiating toward this hair shaft progenitor cells. Future studies to reconstitute SCF in the matrix niche will be in- teresting and will address whether hair hypopigmentation could be reversible. Furthermore, genetic ablation of Krox20 and global profiling of KROX20 transcriptional targets will help to elucidate its biological roles in epider- mal differentiation and HF development.

Last edited:

abcdefg

Reaction score
We really need to see this confirmed in humans and not just mice to be sure this is even true. Everywhere we look the wnt pathway is at play. It must be important in male pattern baldness.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still don't see how this study has anything to do with A.G.A...???

But anyway, expression of SCF (also called KITLG - "KIT ligand") in hair shaft precursors is probably at least in part under the control of canonical Wnt signaling. The SNP rs12821256 A -> G, which is associated with blond hair in humans, disrupts an LEF1 binding site in keratinocytes near KITLG. This results in lower expression of SCF/KITLG. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4704868/)

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score

They don't know either just that KROX20 is made in specific cells in the HF. In turn the presence of KROX20 switches on production of another protein, SCF, which is needed to maintain hair color. Apparently SCF production is dependent on KROX20. AND if KROX20 is eliminated completely as was the case in the mice, they became bald.

Obviously most men don't go bald overnight. It could be, perhaps, that we gradually lose some production of proteins which affect color and hair growth but not completely and none of us at exactly the same rate, but the general pattern of loss is established in Androgenetic Alopecia nonetheless. And even the so-called DHT-resistant hair in the horseshoe areas can thin in aging men. Observe the wispy hair at the very back and lower part of Donald Trump's scalp - it is the hair of an aging man.

It's early stages but they will do more lab tests to determine if greying hair is reversible as well as the role in hair growth.

I'm glad they are using mice because mammals cell biology is similar to humans. These scientists think there is a fair chance that a similar mechanism is at work in human HFs. They can observe the effects of drugs and gene manipulations on mice hair in a relatively short amount of time compared to length of time it takes for human and other primates' hair cycles. Mice are very useful in science imo. 100 years of research on mice is a good thing.

Last edited:

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

But anyway, expression of SCF (also called KITLG - "KIT ligand") in hair shaft precursors is probably at least in part under the control of canonical Wnt signaling. The SNP rs12821256 A -> G, which is associated with blond hair in humans, disrupts an LEF1 binding site in keratinocytes near KITLG. This results in lower expression of SCF/KITLG. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4704868/)

I had read an article about this and it was for 'hair loss' in title of the article but I clicked on the link for the study and there was very little about hair loss in the study report that I can see--but I am not up on the science like some of you so I honestly have no idea.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@NewUser

They didn't investigate whether Scf is a Krox20 target gene, nor did they engineer Krox20 knockout mice. They did find that hair pigmentation requires Scf expression in keratinocytes, and that eliminating Krox20 expressing cells with diphtheria toxin results in hair loss. But given that these Krox20-expressing cells are hair shaft progenitor cells, it's completely expected that killing them causes hair loss.

I had read an article about this and it was for 'hair loss' in title of the article but I clicked on the link for the study and there was very little about hair loss in the study report that I can see--but I am not up on the science like some of you so I honestly have no idea.

Yeah, like a game of "telephone" reports on the study's findings seem to have mutated as they passed through the internets. It happens all the time.

Last edited:

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's right, they fed the mice water laced with doxy. I imagine they will create mice with the knockout gene for a next round of studies.

abcdefg

Reaction score
The thing is though there exist some men where this doesnt happen. There are men that die with almost zero hair loss. Very rare, but still if it was simply aging it would never ever happen. Lets call it yet unknown factors, but it cant be aging

" And even the so-called DHT-resistant hair in the horseshoe areas can thin in aging men. Observe the wispy hair at the very back and lower part of Donald Trump's scalp - it is the hair of an aging man."

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think some of us age better than others as they say. I've seen senior men and women with still youthful heads of hair but the rest of their bodies age "normally" like everyone else. It would be great if we could slow down or even stop cell death, or the reverse, rapid cell division because that would mean we could stop tumors from developing. Cancer researchers like Elaine Fuchs et al have contributed to better undertanding hair biology because hair and tumors are the only cells in our bodies which divide so rapidly. But senescence in general seems to be a pre-condition for aging in all species of living things even if cause may differ.

Last edited: