Kit Recommendations For Hair System (glue, Tape, Alcohol)

Slapster

My Regimen
Reaction score
After the excellent advice received on here, I've finally pulled the trigger and will be getting my first system fitted in a few weeks. I'm currently buying everything I need to look after it, and want to experiment with glue and tape to see which gives the best bond and easiest cleanup. So, I was wondering what glues and tapes you guys would recommend.

I've noticed Ghost Bond is highly thought of, but Amazon has a Walker Tape Max Hold Sport glue that apparently removes the need to wait 24 hours before going to the gym (I'm a pretty active person and work out regularly). Has anyone tried this?

With regard to tape, when I try it I'd like to use it for both the perimeter and hairline (I'll be keeping the hairline covered). Any recommendations? The system will be thin skin, if that's a factor.

I also plan on getting some alcohol to give me a few minutes to position when attaching and to use as a releasing agent, but there are different strengths. Which would be the best to go for?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm simultaneously crapping myself at the thought of having to deal with a system and excited to finally have hair again!

Noah

Reaction score
Hey Slapster

Well done for taking the plunge, and good luck with your transition.

I haven't tried the Walker glue I'm afraid. I like Davlyn Black for my hairline. I don't find you really have to wait 24 hours before working out - more like 3 or 4 hours in my case. I would be interested to hear how you get on with the Walker stuff though. Walker is certainly a quality company.

I have only found one tape which is fine enough for an undetectable exposed hairline, and that is Walker 3-mil tape. It's not the strongest tape, but the result is very subtle - almost as good as glue.

You need to be careful about using strong tac tapes on a skin unit. The tape could tear the rather delicate base when you try to get it off at clean-up. Unlike with a lace piece, you cannot get alcohol in behind the tape to weaken the bond between base and tape, because skin bases are impermeable. The other thing is that most thinskin bases make a kind of plastic bag noise when you touch them, unless the base is attached over the whole surface. So most guys who wear a skin base attach over the whole surface of the base with glue.

The higher the percentage of alcohol, the better. 99% is the best. You can usually order it from pharmacies or DIY stores.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After the excellent advice received on here, I've finally pulled the trigger and will be getting my first system fitted in a few weeks. I'm currently buying everything I need to look after it, and want to experiment with glue and tape to see which gives the best bond and easiest cleanup. So, I was wondering what glues and tapes you guys would recommend.

I've noticed Ghost Bond is highly thought of, but Amazon has a Walker Tape Max Hold Sport glue that apparently removes the need to wait 24 hours before going to the gym (I'm a pretty active person and work out regularly). Has anyone tried this?

With regard to tape, when I try it I'd like to use it for both the perimeter and hairline (I'll be keeping the hairline covered). Any recommendations? The system will be thin skin, if that's a factor.

I also plan on getting some alcohol to give me a few minutes to position when attaching and to use as a releasing agent, but there are different strengths. Which would be the best to go for?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm simultaneously crapping myself at the thought of having to deal with a system and excited to finally have hair again!

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...g-the-hairline-on-the-go.120859/#post-1774045

Slapster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah: Thanks for the recommendations. Assuming all goes well when I get the system fitted, I plan on purchasing a French lace-based system from one of the online firms you recommended to use as a second system. It sounds like it might be wise to hold off on the tape experiment until that one arrives, unless I end up really not getting along with the glue. I'll certainly let you know how I get on with whichever glue I end up buying, but it sounds like the Davlyn somewhat negates the USP of the Sport glue (I probably wouldn't go to the gym until the day after an attachment).

Hair Newbie: Thanks for the link. I was thinking of picking up some Got2B as a backup, in case I have any any issues with the stronger glues. I probably wouldn't risk swimming or the steam room with it, but would you say it can handle a workout?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah: Thanks for the recommendations. Assuming all goes well when I get the system fitted, I plan on purchasing a French lace-based system from one of the online firms you recommended to use as a second system. It sounds like it might be wise to hold off on the tape experiment until that one arrives, unless I end up really not getting along with the glue. I'll certainly let you know how I get on with whichever glue I end up buying, but it sounds like the Davlyn somewhat negates the USP of the Sport glue (I probably wouldn't go to the gym until the day after an attachment).

Hair Newbie: Thanks for the link. I was thinking of picking up some Got2B as a backup, in case I have any any issues with the stronger glues. I probably wouldn't risk swimming or the steam room with it, but would you say it can handle a workout?

IMO. using strong glues like Walker Lace front blue tape , walker ultra hold liquid or Ghostbond adhesives is a best choices for long term solid hold but the downside is cleanup time. I've experimented using black tube Got2b full bonded and run 45 minutes on the treadmill to force myself sweat as much as I can. It loosens a bit only on the edge but it will turn sticky again once the sweat evaporated. It stay secured even with an active lifestyle unless I jump into the water or shower. If I do some intense cardio exercise or eat spicy foods. I can get two days or less with Got2B. Esha much stronger and I can get 4-7 days hold. If my body don't producing that much heat, I can get 3-4 days with Got2B and maybe 10 days with Esha. Using this two products can save so much time for cleanup and I believe also can extend the lifespan of my system.

Noah

Reaction score
Following up on Hair Newbie's theme, I had a long work trip abroad over Christmas and New a Year, I used a thin smear of Davlyn for the hairline combined with Got2B for the back. It worked a treat, and clean-up was a breeze. The only thing is that I wouldn't trust it if I had people touching my hair - I don't think it is reliable enough for that. Great if you are having time on your own like on a business trip, with no possibility of intimate situations.

Last edited:

Slapster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks again, that's all really helpful. With regard to the stronger glues, does spraying alcohol onto the glue when fitting to allow more time for positioning affect the overall length of time the bond lasts after it dries, or is there no difference?