Kinda scared...

G

I started propecia 06/09/2006 and used it alone over a month with no noticeable cosmetic difference to my hair. I added Kirkland minoxidil 5% to my regimen 07/12/2006 and now, after only a week and a half I think there's a cosmetic difference for the worse. Can this be possible? I think I also have increased shedding, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I lose about 50 hairs a day. My scalp has been flaking a bit and is quite itchy at times. Should I perhaps quite minoxidil or what?

Also, I got a haircut just 2 weeks ago and I think that my so-called "healthy hairs" have been growing at rapid speed during that time (like over 1 cm)! I was very pleased with the haircut for only a week or so but after that the hair has been impossible to style because it's too long again.

Any info is appreciated.

beaner

Reaction score
Well in regard to propecia...it can take at least 3 months before you see a noticeable difference and that may only be a decrease in hair loss. You've been on it for 6 weeks..of course there is no cosmetic difference in your hair and you may not notice any for months to come. You need to be very patient when it comes to treating hair loss.

The good thing is that you are also on minoxidil which works well combined with propecia. Propecia helps provide a healthier environment on your scalp..ie lower dht..and minoxidil stimulates growth. I wouldn't be surprised if you begin to see positive results in another couple months. Finally, you are probably now going through a minoxidil shed which is a good sign...the drug is pushing more hair into the telogen phase so they can shed and make room for a thicker shaft. You may notice a worsening of your hairs appearance over the next little while...couldn't say how long because it may differ for everyone, but it wont last longer than 90 day or so. Things should only improve from there....and don't worry about propecia sheds...I dont think they really exist. (crouches, waits to be pounced on)

G

Ok, thanks for the reply. But what about the scalp flaking and itching? That can't be good for the hair? Umm, and also this morning I noticed that there was this white stuff (flaked skin) on one part of my scalp where I apply minoxidil to. The same white stuff was also on my hair around the same area!? Anyone know what's that about?

P.S. Most of the hairs that are shed are thin, short and colourless so I guess they are bound to come off anyways.

beaner

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:
Ok, thanks for the reply. But what about the scalp flaking and itching? That can't be good for the hair? Umm, and also this morning I noticed that there was this white stuff (flaked skin) on one part of my scalp where I apply minoxidil to. The same white stuff was also on my hair around the same area!? Anyone know what's that about?

P.S. Most of the hairs that are shed are thin, short and colourless so I guess they are bound to come off anyways.

The scalp flaking and itching is probably the most common side effect of using minoxidil..usually caused by a reaction to the PPG in the solution. This happened to me and once my scalp became accustomed to the minoxidil it did stop. The flaky stuff could be just dry, flaky skin from the alcohol in the minoxidil or it could actually be dried minoxidil particles...do not worry about it. You may want to conisder using Folligen or Tricomin to control the itch...trust me it works. Another option would be to use a brand of minoxidil that is lower in PPG or has no PPG, such as Dr lee's regular minoxidil or his non-ppg minoxidil.....actually Spectral DNC may be a great choice as well. Just take it one day at a time and try to keep up with the 2 apps per day...it may well be worth it.

G

Yeah, it's not the flaking that bothers me but the mild itching does a bit. But if the flaking does not reduce effectiveness of the minoxidil, I don't care.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I flaked and shedded like crazy when I started minoxidil. Flakiness has come really really down, still some shedding but much much lesser than what it used to be when I started shedding.