KevinW's Story (Monthly Pics Included)

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first post and it seemed like a good place to start.

I have a family history of male pattern baldness and it was something I never thought I would have to deal with so young (I just turned 23). I've been researching for a while and it's starting to depress me. I am meeting with my dermatologist this coming friday to discuss options.

I have always had fairly fine hair, so the thinning I'm experiencing seems to have come on suddenly, though I must admit that I had an idea as early as 8 months ago. My best explanation for my degree of loss is diffuse thinning in the frontal area mostly... I keep my hair fairly short, so in some direct lights you can see through to my scalp but in other light its not really noticeable. (I'll post pics so people can understand more clearly). I notice some hairs on my keyboard, but they are harder to spot because my hair is fine.

In terms of treatment, I am guessing that 'finasteride' would be the most recommended option from you guys, and I'm not opposed to it, but the prospect of shedding does not excite me (nor do the sexual side effects). I have noticed throughout the month of October that I did have some natural shedding which is ultimately what lead me to act now. If anyone feels like giving some advice I am interested in knowing what options you all would recommend for someone in my particular situation (thickening stuff, growth stimulant, or just some encouraging words :) .). I have read about Revivogen and was encouraged by what I read.

Thank you so much for reading.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
PICTURE ARCHIVE!

*pictures down*

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
whats going on kevin, welcome. if i were you, when you see your dermatologist, if he/she doesn't offer it up as a suggestion i would ask about propecia, they will probably tell you you are a good candidate for you. i think when you start on that you will start feeling a little better knowing you are doing everything you can. i'm just about to turn 24 so i understand the whole age thing you are going through. i also have fine hair, so i think when i started losing hair it became noticable quickly. what i do for thickening is vitalis thickening shampoo (which i use every other day rotating with a semodex shampoo i got thats supposed to be just a good shampoo for preparing a clean scalp for growth from the propecia, it has some supposed antiandrogen properties, but i'm not using it for that really, a lot of people on here use nizoral). at first it won't seem much thicker, but now that i have used it for a while my hair is much healthier and looks thicker (could be from the propecia for three months too). I had a small amount of shedding after starting propecia after about a week, but it only lasted about two weeks or so. then just a huge slow down of loss, and it looks like new growth starting in (crossing fingers) so find a regimen you can live with by getting ideas on this site, and just stick to that regimen without too much change. keep your chin up.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I just spoke with my dermatologist and got a prescription for the 3 month supply of Propecia, with refills to last a year. I imagine I'll end up getting one of the other versions of finasteride that needs to be cut up, but just bite the bullet and get the first 3 month supply of Propecia. I'll look into the other finasteride options later.

I'll probably be getting some thickening shampoo or something really soon, maybe vitalis thickening shampoo that Trent8 suggested, since my hair is fine (fine as in thin strands, not fine as in what the hell am I doing at HairLossTalk.com). And of course I am going to get Nizerol. Wish me luck.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
I have really modest goals, I must admit. I've never particularly liked my hair... I was never able to do anything good with it. I really just want to maintain good enough coverage that if I kept it pretty short (like 2-4 setting on a trimmer) it would be not that noticeable that I'm thinning. If all goes well and my soon to be shed hairs grow back thicker, I think that my goals are realistic. I'll add minoxidil, most likely in a few months, and maybe that will help me out some.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
more pics

I was scanning through some pictures from a few years ago and realized that my hair has always sucked but I could see my scalp through my hair as far as 3 years ago... but I think I am diffusing my way to a Norwood 4 or 5. Especially going in the front...

My seasonal shed just kind of kicked my *** this year.

kw2.jpg

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, by the way, I started using "Thicker, Fuller Hair" shampoo since the pics from above and it has surprised me how much it helped.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
KevinWondering you have caught it early(very good). As others have stated on this thread get down to the dermatologist straight away. I recomend that your bring some pictures with you just to give the dermatologist a better understading of your condition. The big 3 would be a good start that is finasteride(proscar or propecia) Nizoral(1 or 2 percent) and Minoxidil(whatever brand pleases you). Suggest to your derm these things and ask if they are suitable for you. I highly recomend you spend the extra cash and see a 2nd dermatologist, there are bad eggs in every industry and you don't want to suffer because of one.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I've already seen my derm that I've been going to for years and got a prescription for Propecia (1 year) so I am going to start that very soon (with nizoral) then consider minoxidil some time in the future. Things I'm hoping: that I don't have a devastating shed, sexual side effects are minimal, and some level of maintenance (regrowth a plus of course).

I'll update with pictures incrementally. Thanks for the support everyone... I wish everyone the best of luck with this BS. :)

Petchsky

Reaction score
Good luck chap... your hair and male pattern baldness is very simmilar to mine when i started apart from i was worse on the sides. You look like a good candidate for propecia...look forward to your update :!:

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a few days away from the two month mark on Propecia, but I'll wait to post photos until I finish this 2nd bottle which is in 7 days. I'm pretty well sure that I'm shedding now, it's not too bad and seems to be occurring mostly in the front, and maybe on the vertex. My hair looks like poo, especially so in certain lights. I have to start taking my photos in less flattering lighting since my bathroom is basically the best lighting in the world it seems. Harsher light will be more indicative of that is actually going on up there. So anyways, I have hope that the areas where I'm shedding will thicken up a bit.

oh, and my pictures are located in the first page of this thread in a post entitled "Picture Archive!"

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I ordered Nizoral finally from Canada Pharmacy.com and it came in 3 days, (zero business days, oddly enough), so there's my new addition to the regimen.

The shed continues, and things are looking pretty shitty. For the firsttime I've considered getting something like dermatch, but I doubt I will.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i hear ya kev, as you may have noticed form my posts, i've been pretty down lately. but today was a good day, hair looked pretty damn good. i can mess up the top all i want and i really don't see any scalp, but the hairline looks like ***. i'm rooting for you! may we both get awesome results.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm rooting for you too... I wish I could wear my hair messy. Oh and the hairline is overrated anyway. :D

Thinning1

Reaction score
Hey KevenW

Get Dermatch. I bit the bullet and did that after seeing Social Drinkers posts on it, and it rocks. 1st one the sent me was a bad colour and was very obvious but I just got my 2nd colour and its awesome.

Thinning1

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinning1 said:
Hey KevenW

Get Dermatch. I bit the bullet and did that after seeing Social Drinkers posts on it, and it rocks. 1st one the sent me was a bad colour and was very obvious but I just got my 2nd colour and its awesome.

Thinning1

Well I ordered Dermatch on Saturday and it got here today. I experimented with it tonight, not with clean hair like they say, but my first attempt was promising anyway, so I am encouraged. Social_Drinker's pictures are pretty unbelievable so I'm hoping it will be good to me too.

(BTW thanks, Thinning1, for clueing me in to Social's pics) 8)

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
First Day of Dermatch = Best Hair day in over 2 years. Awesome.

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
You have a really good hairline to work with. Good luck :)