Ketoconazole question...

spiekey

Reaction score
I am using Nizoral 2% as a treatment for seborrheic dermatitis. Because I didn't know how it works, I searched the net and came across this:
Mechanism of action may involve alteration of RNA and DNA metabolism or an intracellular accumulation of peroxide that is toxic to fungal cells.
This sound really scary IMO. Because I know very little about biology, can someone explain what this means? Does this mean it changes my DNA?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
its specific to fungal cells... basically keto is like a key that only fits the fungal cells and not human cells so it can only get into fungal cells and accumalate.... its molecular structure probably resmbles one of the fungal signalling molecules that is specific to fungus only....

spiekey

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

One more question: Does ketoconazole get absorbed systemically (does it get into bloodstream) if applied topically? I used Nizoral 2% for 4 weeks, 2 times a week with no results. Now I want to wash my scalp with Nizoral 2% every day for 2 weeks and see if it works.

Jake_89

Established Member
Reaction score
Re nizoral entering blood stream from the research one of the respected members said theres VERY LITTLE that enters if any.

I have been using it everyday for two weeks and love it.