Ketoconazole 2% topical (liquid) against Female pattern hair loss

Pentanol

My Regimen
Reaction score
@jd_uk

Standard Nizoral does have DEA, it's simply Coconut Fatty Acid Diethanolamide. It is a very common ingredient since the FDA deems it safe, but for those wondering, it is a possible carcinogen.

For the possible carcinogen compounds, keep in mind Group 2B Agents are far more common than one may realize and Group 2B Agents are recognized by the National Cancer Council as having inadequate evidence in humans, but some potential evidence in animals. While I am glad there is very transparent caution when considering cancer, it is important to note some other IARC Group 2B Agents for context:

- Modern Smartphones (2007-today)
- Pickled Vegetables
- Aloe vera
- Doing dry cleaning
- Ginkgo biloba extract
- Coffee (1991-2016)
- The list

jd_uk

Reaction score
@jd_uk

Standard Nizoral does have DEA, it's simply Coconut Fatty Acid Diethanolamide. It is a very common ingredient since the FDA deems it safe, but for those wondering, it is a possible carcinogen.

For the possible carcinogen compounds, keep in mind Group 2B Agents are far more common than one may realize and Group 2B Agents are recognized by the National Cancer Council as having inadequate evidence in humans, but some potential evidence in animals. While I am glad there is very transparent caution when considering cancer, it is important to note some other IARC Group 2B Agents for context:

- Modern Smartphones (2007-today)
- Pickled Vegetables
- Aloe vera
- Doing dry cleaning
- Ginkgo biloba extract
- Coffee (1991-2016)
- The list
Hmm. Not great. I wonder if its also a possible carcinogen even in shampoo format...rather than ingested? Like maybe the studies in animal were about them ingesting the DEA? Like you say, some of those other ones such as coffee and mobile phones are pretty harmless one would think...

Either way I have already questioned the long term safety of nizoral in the way its used for hair loss (I.e. leaving it on for more than 10 mins for a few days a week for the rest of my life), as this stuff if taken orally is very toxic to the liver.

Would be good to find it without DEA at least if a risk but yeah...

As always there never seems to be any risk free way to 'treat' natural hair loss.

Pentanol

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm. Not great. I wonder if its also a possible carcinogen even in shampoo format...rather than ingested? Like maybe the studies in animal were about them ingesting the DEA? Like you say, some of those other ones such as coffee and mobile phones are pretty harmless one would think...

Either way I have already questioned the long term safety of nizoral in the way its used for hair loss (I.e. leaving it on for more than 10 mins for a few days a week for the rest of my life), as this stuff if taken orally is very toxic to the liver.

Would be good to find it without DEA at least if a risk but yeah...

As always there never seems to be any risk free way to 'treat' natural hair loss.

You are right, oral ketoconazole is detrimental to the liver, as well as the adrenal gland. In addition, oral ketoconazole interacts with a variety of medications, amplifying or diminishing their efficacy while damaging the engaged organs during absorption. Fortunately, the clinical pharmacokinetics indicate Ketoconazole is not absorbed systemically after topical administration and studies have been done with the use of standard 2% Nizoral daily for 6 months with no Ketoconazole serum detection.

The study testing DEA's carcinogenicity with trials on animals is accessible through my lab, I can share it with you when I get home later in the day.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is very hard to find a keto shampoo without DEA (which has many synonyms, but is usually listed as cocamide DEA or Coconut Fatty Acid Diethanolamide) or cocamide MEA. MEA is also bad because, due to the nature of the production process, some DEA inevitably winds up in it.

Some shampoos will feature cocamide betaine (aka cocamidopropyl betaine) in place of DEA, which I THINK is safe.

Anyway, as I say, if anyone can find a keto shampoo that doesn't feature DEA or MEA, please let me know.

jd_uk

Reaction score
You are right, oral ketoconazole is detrimental to the liver, as well as the adrenal gland. In addition, oral ketoconazole interacts with a variety of medications, amplifying or diminishing their efficacy while damaging the engaged organs during absorption. Fortunately, the clinical pharmacokinetics indicate Ketoconazole is not absorbed systemically after topical administration and studies have been done with the use of standard 2% Nizoral daily for 6 months with no Ketoconazole serum detection.

The study testing DEA's carcinogenicity with trials on animals is accessible through my lab, I can share it with you when I get home later in the day.
That would be good. I'd like to know how much of a risk keto shampoo is.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Search for the cream study done in Japana in males. Great results. The only question is, if using it in chronic way it will go systemic, but you can know it with a simple blood test ( before and after ) cause it lower LH if it goes systemic and will drop your T.
Now, why people use Ru homemade from China instead of this, is one of the big misteries of life.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
That would be good. I'd like to know how much of a risk keto shampoo is.
Really ? Your are probable expose to at least 50 other substance daily much more carcinogenic than the stupid DEA. From the smoke from cars to the plastic that you use to drink your coffee .

jd_uk

Reaction score
Really ? Your are probable expose to at least 50 other substance daily much more carcinogenic than the stupid DEA. From the smoke from cars to the plastic that you use to drink your coffee .
Well maybe but its other people here talking about how its potentially carcinogenic. I just wonder about the safety of using it for more than the recommended amount (I.e. leaving it on for twice the recommended duration) and not just for a few weeks but long term.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Search for the cream study done in Japana in males. Great results. The only question is, if using it in chronic way it will go systemic, but you can know it with a simple blood test ( before and after ) cause it lower LH if it goes systemic and will drop your T.
Now, why people use Ru homemade from China instead of this, is one of the big misteries of life.
Though if its a slow process from chronic use then it might be harder to tell from one blood test. It would be good if we had studies about whether use in this way affected blood hormones.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well maybe but its other people here talking about how its potentially carcinogenic. I just wonder about the safety of using it for more than the recommended amount (I.e. leaving it on for twice the recommended duration) and not just for a few weeks but long term.
If what you are asking if there is any study done ? No, I will not be done any study about it cause patent expired so nobody really care.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want give you a update since I start ketoconazole 2% liquid two weeks ago my scalp isn't more Itchy and inflamed.

My scalp is just a little irritate right now because I dermarolled 2 days ago.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone got a link to the Japanese study? I'm not finding it on Google Scholar.

What's the idea with the cream? You rub it in and leave it on or you wash it off after x time?

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score