Ketoconazole 2% topical (liquid) against Female pattern hair loss

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Study:

This study looks very interesting like everybody knows the shampoo works slighty against male pattern baldness and the japanese study with cream had promising results.

But topical(liquid) show that can have better results than cream.

Myself I started using keto 2% topical 1ml everyday for 4 days if I see results in the next couple months I will give a update

Last edited:

jd_uk

Reaction score
Study:

This study looks very interesting like everybody knows the shampoo works slighty against male pattern baldness and the japanese study with cream had promise results.

But topical(liquid) show that can have better results than cream.

Myself I started using keto 2% topical 1ml everyday for 4 days if I see results in the next couple months I will give a update
What is the idea of the liquid? To leave it on throughout the day?

jd_uk

Reaction score
Has ketoconazole liquid (to be left on all day) been tested/approved for safety in long term use? I ask because oral ketoconazole is very toxic to the liver and can cause total liver failure. I'm not sure we can afford that to get into the blood.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has ketoconazole liquid (to be left on all day) been tested/approved for safety in long term use? I ask because oral ketoconazole is very toxic to the liver and can cause total liver failure. I'm not sure we can afford that to get into the blood.

Topical formulations of ketoconazole (such as creams, ointments and shampoos) can continue to be used as the amount of ketoconazole absorbed throughout the body is very low with these formulations.

jd_uk

Reaction score

Topical formulations of ketoconazole (such as creams, ointments and shampoos) can continue to be used as the amount of ketoconazole absorbed throughout the body is very low with these formulations.
I hope that is the case even for lifelong treatment (as usually creams and shampoos are only recommended for limited times). Maybe I'll get blood tests done sometime just to be sure no liver issues.

What sort of success have you had with keto liquid or cream? I guess you don't use it after the dermaroller?

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope that is the case even for lifelong treatment (as usually creams and shampoos are only recommended for limited times). Maybe I'll get blood tests done sometime just to be sure no liver issues.

What sort of success have you had with keto liquid or cream? I guess you don't use it after the dermaroller?
Well its to early to say because I just start using the liquid for 4 days and apply keto on scalp in the evening and dermarroling at night

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also using ketoconazole lotion 2-3 times a week, it works great against dandruff and oily scalp, but didn't notice regrowth from it.

In Portugal the ketoconazole lotion is called Tedol, a 100 mL bottle costs around 11 euros and doesn't require medical prescription.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also using ketoconazole lotion 2-3 times a week, it works great against dandruff and oily scalp, but didn't notice regrowth from it.

In Portugal the ketoconazole lotion is called Tedol, a 100 mL bottle costs around 11 euros and doesn't require medical prescription.

Good to known this works for you maybe its helping maintain your hair because you didn't had hair regrowth doesn't mean that treatment don't works.

Clean the dandruff and oily scalp is a good signal thats how finasteride works for me when I used before I stopped because of sides.

Good luck!

Pentanol

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the study, MrPortugal.

I began incorporating 2% ketoconazole shampoo in my protocol in 2018 and have been using it daily ever since. In the United States, the leave-in cream is for fungal infections that typically concerns issues on the heel or toes, but the shampoo is widely available for even moderate cases of dandruff.

For those that are considering the addition of 2% ketoconazole shampoo, I would suggest looking no further than Perrigo's generic version. As I previously stated, I have been using 2% ketoconazole shampoo on a daily basis since 2018 because the version formulated by Perrigo is gentler than many of the, so proclaimed "sensitive scalp" shampoos. This is the benefit of being aware of generic variations between manufacturers. I used the common brand formulated by Tomar, the same company that is partnered with the telehealth hairloss service, Keeps prior to finding the Perrigo generic. While using the Tomar brand 2x a week, my scalp began peeling and I noticed my forehead was showing wrinkles due to the extraction of moisture by the shampoo. After researching the brands available and consulting with a pharmacist that is partnered with our lab, I found the Perrigo version and have been using it ever since.

Here are some pictures of my bottle for anyone in the U.S. that is interested in adding 2% ketoconazole shampoo into their protocol:

Note the first inactive ingredient. This addition reverts 2% ketoconazole shampoo from the moisture-stripping menace that cannot be tolerated more than twice a week to a daily-use shampoo that has the added benefits of relieving scalp irritation, inflammation, sebum production, and conceivably, limiting local androgenic activity in the scalp.

IMG_9636.jpg
IMG_9637.jpg

Last edited:

jd_uk

Reaction score
Doesn't leaving keto on burn the scalp? I noticed that mine can get sore/dry if I leave even the shampoo on for too long...e.g. over 10 minutes.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't leaving keto on burn the scalp? I noticed that mine can get sore/dry if I leave even the shampoo on for too long...e.g. over 10 minutes.
Keto doesn't dry your scalp what the leave your head with this feeling is the ingredients of the shampoo.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I bought ketoconazole liquid in a pharmacy

Could you give a link to the pharmacy website, please? I want to see if they could ship it to me.

Thank you for the study, MrPortugal.

I began incorporating 2% ketoconazole shampoo in my protocol in 2018 and have been using it daily ever since. In the United States, the leave-in cream is for fungal infections that typically concerns issues on the heel or toes, but the shampoo is widely available for even moderate cases of dandruff.

For those that are considering the addition of 2% ketoconazole shampoo, I would suggest looking no further than Perrigo's generic version. As I previously stated, I have been using 2% ketoconazole shampoo on a daily basis since 2018 because the version formulated by Perrigo is gentler than many of the, so proclaimed "sensitive scalp" shampoos. This is the benefit of being aware of generic variations between manufacturers. I used the common brand formulated by Tomar, the same company that is partnered with the telehealth hairloss service, Keeps prior to finding the Perrigo generic. While using the Tomar brand 2x a week, my scalp began peeling and I noticed my forehead was showing wrinkles due to the extraction of moisture by the shampoo. After researching the brands available and consulting with a pharmacist that is partnered with our lab, I found the Perrigo version and have been using it ever since.

Here are some pictures of my bottle for anyone in the U.S. that is interested in adding 2% ketoconazole shampoo into their protocol:

Note the first inactive ingredient. This addition reverts 2% ketoconazole shampoo from the moisture-stripping menace that cannot be tolerated more than twice a week to a daily-use shampoo that has the added benefits of relieving scalp irritation, inflammation, sebum production, and conceivably, limiting local androgenic activity in the scalp.

I would caution against this shampoo, because it contains cocamide DEA, which is a carcinogen. And incidentally, if anyone knows of a keto shampoo that doesn't contain cocamide DEA or MEA, please let me know.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could you give a link to the pharmacy website, please? I want to see if they could ship it to me.

I would caution against this shampoo, because it contains cocamide DEA, which is a carcinogen. And incidentally, if anyone knows of a keto shampoo that doesn't contain cocamide DEA or MEA, please let me know.
Unfortunately the pharmacies for my country don't ship to foreign countries, therefore I recomend you visit your country pharmacies to see if they sell liquid ketoconazole 2% if not, give a try the cream keto works well too.

jd_uk

Reaction score

I don't think standard nizoral has those ingredients in it?

"Ingredients

Ketoconazole 20 mg/g , Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulphate , Disodium Monolauryl Ether, Sulphosuccinate , Coconut Fatty Acid Diethanolamide , Laurdimonium Hydrolysed Animal, Collagen , Macrogol 120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Hydroxide , Imidurea , Hydrochloric Acid , Erythrosine (E127) and Purified Water ."