kenny19's Story

G

I guess I started to notice a bald patch of about 1cm just above my forehead when I was 16. I thought nothing of it and grew my hair long to cover it up. But by the time I hit 18 my hair had become noticeably thinner all over the top of my head, especially when I'd stand under direct light - it was obvious to everyone.

My father gradually started to lose his hair from 26 up to when he was 35 and now my older brother who is 26 is experiencing a little hair loss, nowhere near to the extent as mine- 7years his junior. My father’s father had a full head of hair until he died aged 85 and one of my father’s brothers is bald and the other has a perfect head of hair. My mothers father went bald in his 20's but his two sons bother in their 40's have no sign of hair loss yet just greyness.

I've been using Rogaine 5% for the last 4months with no sign of improvement. I'd like to take propecia but I honestly can't afford to at the moment. My hair has got so bad that anything other than a zero blade all over makes me look much older than I am. ffs I'm losing my hair before I'm losing my acne.

It’s really getting me down. Almost depressing. I'm actually making up excuses not to go out with my friends because I'm so self-conscious of my hair. Anytime I do go out, one of my friends usually make a comment about my hair and sniggers at me. As if I chose to lose my hair, especially for your entertainment, a**h**. Wearing hates makes me feel slightly more confident in myself but I'm always paranoid that someone will yank it off my head and expose my baldness. A girl I really liked asked me out but my hair insecurity wouldn't let me.

iwanthair

Reaction score
Alright bro I am in your boat... I am also 19 and going very visibly bald all over the top and front of my head. I notcied my balding back when I was about 14-15, I just noticed that my hair was getting thinner. I can't decide whether it is cause i rub my head and it is traction alopecia or not, i dont think it is seeing as my dad went bald when he was 25, and my grandpa on my moms side is also bald, along with his brother.

I know it is really depressing, belive me, I have been there. I used to just want to sleep all day so that I would not want to deal with it. Not to mention spend a long time in the mirror trying to comb it just right. YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME. The thing that you must remember is that it isn't going to get any better, it is best to assume the worst, and the more that you rub it wash it and comb it it aint going to come back. I know that this sounds synacle but it is the truth. You need to just stop thinking about what other people think, just be yourself and really outgoing, and no one will care. I found this line on this site and it has helped me: IF YOU DON'T CARE NO ONE ELSE WILL!! remember that man, seriously.

surprisingly to me you are already shaving your head, that took me forever to work up too. Dosen't that feel relieving?? As for your friend, who cares, if they say somthing, just be like "yup, it happens" play it off and play it off cool. Im sure they have somthing about themselves that they don't like, such as a small wang.

My suggestion to you is join a gym, drop your body fat, get cut up, and start dressing nicely, like AE or Hollister. Get some good collogne, and then act like you don't even care, belive me, chicks diiiig confidence, you are stuck in the high school mentality, those girls grow up once they hit college.

Oh and as for the hat, f*** it, i mean yeah wear a hat, but don't wear it around all the time to cover it up, there is nothing more sad then man who is really insecure about his hair and goes to great lengths to cover it up.

PS. Are you just a dumbfuck about that girl?? haha, just playin, but man, she obviously knows that you are going bald and she still asked you out, now you are letting you hair effect your social and woman life, if you dont call her back and ask her out im gonna be disspointed, i have spent a long *** time writing this reply, you better make us all proud,.

HEY. any others who read this, reply to my thoughts, im sure that you will most defnitly agree that I am giving some good advice.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Kenny: First of all, welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find alot of good information here which I gurantee you, will help.

I'm in the same boat as you, although I'd say my hairloss may not be quite as severe. I have lost a significant amount considered my age (18).
If you are really serious about fighting hairloss your going to have to get on a DHT inhibitor like propecia. I would recommend getting proscar which is the same as propecia except much cheaper. If you cut the proscar pills into fifths ( like all of us do) then it will cost the same if not less the minoxidil. Rogaine 5% is a good product but it works much better when used in conjunction with a DHT inhibitor.

I understand that right now you feel extremely helpless and that your losing hope in maintaining any of your hair. We've all been there man. The key is to get on a regimen, stick with it, and then take everything one day at a time. Also, if you really like this girl, then go for it. Obviously she knows about your hair's condition and likes you despite of it. If you can find someone that will accept you for who you are, like shes seemed to have done, then you are one lucky man. Best of Luck

Kramer.

Whammy

Reaction score
Yes you can afford Propecia. Get proscar. I got a 2 month supply of proscar for $126 Canadian. That's probably like 80 bucks US, and since you're splitting the tabs at least 4 ways that's about 80 dollars for 8 months. 10 dollars a month, you can't afford that?

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in a very similar boat - 19 and thinning on top (hairline is unaffected). It's tough - although I actually style it so it doesn't look too bad. It still looks thin, but not too bald.

Just keep fighting. I can't really give as much advise because I've only just started Regaine - and my tricologist refused to prescribe me finasteride (in England it's a lot harder to get hold of, and he's afraid of the unknown so to speak seeing as it's new). what I do know is try and act confident.

And if your friend makes more jokes simply play off his problems - if he's fat, spotty, unintelligent etc play off that. If someone does try and make fun of me rather than deny my problem I will just so "yeah well at least my face is still pretty - you're a fat/stupid c***"etc etc. I've yet to do it just yet but may resort to it soon (altho I haven't been on the recieving end for some time).

fight fire with fire my friend.

G

Thanks, guys.

I admit I was a dumbfuck to turn down the girl but at the time I was really down tbh. Its done and dusted as far she's concerned.

Just a few questions about finasteride. I'm going away on holidays for two weeks in august so I don't want to start taking it till I get back. As no doubt I'll experience some sexual side affects and shedding. The last thing I want to be is balder, honestly now if I shave my head every few days its not so obvious but if I started to shed it would, which would ultimately kill my confidence and any chance of pulling a few birds, and then there is the chance of some temporary erections problems. I'd rather be functioning properly for those two weeks if you know what I mean.

Also what’s the deal with drinking alcohol whilst on finasteride? Is it safe or will it have an adverse affects. I remember I was on some strong antibiotics and after one beer I was puking the contents of my stomach up. Would finasteride do this?
Seriously, Is it known to have any major long-term affects? Coz I'm going to want to have kids some day and would rather that they be healthy than born with some defect.

Mr_sparkle, you should check out http://www.mxclub.co.uk I buy my regaine off them and they stock proscar/finasteride or whatever its called here. I have it worse coz I live in bloody backwards Ireland where its not even available and my doctor who is bald said he wouldn't even touch it so why would he advise me to take it. I'll have to import it from the U.k for a nice hefty sum if and when I decide to take it. Damn euro.

Do many people notice much regrowth by just using rogaine 5%? I've been on it 4months and a week now and have noticed absolutely no difference.