KangStem Biotech Hair Cloning Company

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
KangStem Biotech is South Korean based biopharmy company/lab who is entering hair cloning market with their human hair follicle/skin organoids.

Their newest press release:
[Prime Economy] On the 21st, Kangstem Biotech (217730) signed a contract with the Seoul National University Industrial Cooperation Foundation for ‘human hair drug screening and human hair follicle production and culture technology for hair transplant materials’ to develop and commercialize hair loss treatment based on hair follicle organoids. revealed.

Kangstem Biotech plans to begin commercializing hair follicle evaluation methods and transplant treatments through the introduction of this technology. This technology is the world's first artificial production of human hair follicle organoids in a test tube, and is a technology that reproduces human hair follicles.

In addition, the goal is to develop a transplant-based hair loss treatment that replaces the existing transplantation method that involves harvesting and planting a patient's individual hair. When hair follicle organoids are transplanted into hair loss areas, side effects due to inflammatory reactions such as infection are minimized, there is no limit to the number of hair follicles required for transplantation, and convenience for patients and doctors is expected to increase through a simple transplantation procedure that omits the collection process. .

This technology allows visual evaluation of the length and thickness of hair follicles, and can simplify testing and increase accuracy compared to tissue staining methods, complementing the limitations of previous evaluation models. The company plans to apply this immediately and launch a hair follicle-based efficacy evaluation method business within the first half of next year. The project will be carried out in cooperation with leading domestic skin and human application testing institutes.

The company said, "The existing skin organoid technology was more specialized in the development of testing methods and treatments related to skin regeneration, so there was a limitation in that it was difficult to supply hair follicles of a certain quantity and quality. Therefore, in order to quickly commercialize hair follicle evaluation methods and transplant treatments, this technology focused only on hair follicles. “We have introduced technology,” he said.

He continued, “Through this contract, we have laid the foundation for entering the domestic and global hair loss treatment market. Based on this, we plan to launch a hair follicle-based efficacy evaluation project next year and begin non-clinical efficacy evaluation of transplant-based hair loss treatment products.” “We will work hard to realize sales within the first half of the year along with rapid commercialization.”

More: https://www.newsprime.co.kr/news/article/?no=622692

Website press release: https://kangstem.com/pr/ir_news/view?lang=en&i=619

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Kangstem Biotech signs main contract for commercialization of skin organoids

Kangstem Biotech's skin organoid can be implemented at almost the same level as human skin, including not only the epidermal layer and dermal layer, but also hair follicles , sebaceous glands , melanocytes , nerve cells , and subcutaneous fat tissue , creating hair follicle tissue that could not be realized in existing artificial skin. Through structural and functional reproduction, it has become possible to use it in research related to hair loss and hair transplantation . In addition , it is expected that it will replace animal testing, secure the basis for conducting human testing, and maximize the likelihood of success .

More: https://kangstem.com/pr/ir_news/view?lang=en&p=2&i=596

Kangstem Biotech, artificial skin business through skin organoids “Visualizing signing of contract within the year”

Human skin organoids were first published in Nature in June 2020 by Koehler's research team at Harvard University . However, there were limitations in that it was not structurally the same as real skin, such as excessive formation of cartilage . This was overcome with the Seoul National University Industry-Academic Collaboration Foundation's ' Three-dimensional air - liquid interface (ALI) skin organoid manufacturing method from human pluripotent stem cells ' , and this technology was developed through 'iScience (IF), a sister journal of the world-renowned international journal 'Cell'. 6.107 )' . Through a technology transfer agreement, Kangstem Biotech now possesses skin organoid manufacturing technology with a flat three- dimensional structure identical to actual skin . Through this, the company has perfectly realized the epidermal layer , dermal layer, and even hair follicle tissue, and said that it will also develop hair growth treatments using this technology in the future .

More: https://kangstem.com/pr/ir_news/view?lang=en&p=2&i=584

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
@Modill Yes, hair follicle organoids for drug testing should hit the market by the first half of 2024. In meantime they will testing the technology in non-clinical trials for hair loss treatment based on their hair follicle organoids technology which produce human hair follicles in vitro (hair cloning).

So, no hair multiplication, hair regeneration, but forming hair follicles from beginning, which in theory should give unlimited supply of human hair follicles with correct structure for hair transplantation. This is how I get it from their presentation.

You can check their updates on Linkedin.

Also, you can check their presentation where they talk about skin/hair organoids and shows picturs from mice with transplanted cloned hair follicles on his back.

Last video is on Korean language, so if anyone is familiar with Korean to translate it little bit it would be great.

Modill

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t understand. Everybody on this forum says: cloning will not be ready until 2050, bla bla bla.

And suddenly we find a company that will be cloning this year? WHAAT?

Cloning is the only solution. Messing with sex hormones or injecting experimental and dangerous sh*its like HMI is useless.

THE ONLY SOLUTION

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand. Everybody on this forum says: cloning will not be ready until 2050, bla bla bla.

And suddenly we find a company that will be cloning this year? WHAAT?

Cloning is the only solution. Messing with sex hormones or injecting experimental and dangerous sh*its like HMI is useless.

THE ONLY SOLUTION
Yes, but they still must go through clinical trials and confirm efficacy/safety of the technology. Non-clinical trials are not same as clinical trials. This is still at least 5-6 years away for practical use (non clinical trials + clinical trials).

By the first half of 2024 they will commercialize hair follicle organoids only for drug testing. Based on their press news.

Modill

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah ok, I understand they will sell organoids to another companies for them to develope new treatments.

But what is an organoid? It is like fake skin with fake hair? Like cloning skin?

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ah ok, I understand they will sell organoids to another companies for them to develope new treatments.

But what is an organoid? It is like fake skin with fake hair? Like cloning skin?
Organoids are mini-organs created by human iPSCs. They are not fake, they are created with human stem cells in vitro in proper culture, and they are very similar with real organs, but smaller in size. This is relatively new technology from couple of years ago, but advancing very fast.

In future organoids can replace organs for regeneration and transplantation.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score

WORLD-FIRST TECHNOLOGY?​

This technology currently stands as the world’s first to artificially produce human hair follicle organoids in a test tube, mimicking actual human hair follicles. Organoids are three-dimensional, miniature, and simplified versions of an organ that are produced in vitro. They are derived from stem cells, which can be embryonic, induced pluripotent, or adult stem cells, and they can replicate much of the complexity of an organ. Organoids are valuable for research in developmental biology, disease modeling, and drug testing because they grow and function similarly to the organs they represent. They also offer a more accurate and ethical alternative to animal models for studying human biology and diseases.

The company will also offer a drug-screening platform that replicates the structure and function of human hair follicles, which has the potential to transform the way new hair-loss treatments are developed and tested. Kangstem Biotech also aims to develop transplant-based therapies that they hope will replace traditional hair transplant methods. This approach utilizes hair follicle organoids, which, according to the company, may reduce side effects caused by inflammatory reactions when implanted into balding areas on the scalp. Ultimately, the goal is to replace current hair transplant methods, which involve harvesting hairs from non-balding scalp regions and planting them into balding areas.

NEWS IN PERSPECTIVE​

Kangstem Biotech acknowledges that existing skin organoid technology was mainly focused on skin regeneration, leaving a gap in hair follicle supply and quality. However, the new technology may allow Kangstem Biotech to quickly commercialize hair follicle evaluation methods and transplant treatments. If successful, this may lay a foundation for entering domestic and global hair loss treatment markets. They are planning rapid commercialization and sales realization within the first half of 2024.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not related to hair follicle organoids, but KangStem Biotech published their results from PHASE I clinical trials for knee osteoarthritis treatment.

70% improvement only with 1 injection in stage 3 knee osteoarthritis. This company provide insane results.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 0005146443_001_20240223094303815.jpg
    0005146443_001_20240223094303815.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 97

I.A.

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!
I would like to know whether the hair multiplication treatment is supposed to be a one-time (i.e.) Permanent Treatment? Because not everyone can afford to travel to South Korea every year or two. Also, with this procedure can someone gain back the hair that he used to have before hair loss began? I mean the same length, density, thickness... Is the person undergoing this treatment still supposed to use Minoxidil? Please do solve my queries.
Thank you!

@Modill
@Joxy

Last edited:

Hairismylife

Established Member
Reaction score
Kangstem Biotech signs main contract for commercialization of skin organoids

Kangstem Biotech's skin organoid can be implemented at almost the same level as human skin, including not only the epidermal layer and dermal layer, but also hair follicles , sebaceous glands , melanocytes , nerve cells , and subcutaneous fat tissue , creating hair follicle tissue that could not be realized in existing artificial skin. Through structural and functional reproduction, it has become possible to use it in research related to hair loss and hair transplantation . In addition , it is expected that it will replace animal testing, secure the basis for conducting human testing, and maximize the likelihood of success .

More: https://kangstem.com/pr/ir_news/view?lang=en&p=2&i=596

Kangstem Biotech, artificial skin business through skin organoids “Visualizing signing of contract within the year”

Human skin organoids were first published in Nature in June 2020 by Koehler's research team at Harvard University . However, there were limitations in that it was not structurally the same as real skin, such as excessive formation of cartilage . This was overcome with the Seoul National University Industry-Academic Collaboration Foundation's ' Three-dimensional air - liquid interface (ALI) skin organoid manufacturing method from human pluripotent stem cells ' , and this technology was developed through 'iScience (IF), a sister journal of the world-renowned international journal 'Cell'. 6.107 )' . Through a technology transfer agreement, Kangstem Biotech now possesses skin organoid manufacturing technology with a flat three- dimensional structure identical to actual skin . Through this, the company has perfectly realized the epidermal layer , dermal layer, and even hair follicle tissue, and said that it will also develop hair growth treatments using this technology in the future .

More: https://kangstem.com/pr/ir_news/view?lang=en&p=2&i=584

Sorry I am dumb I still don't understand what is the difference between 2024 commercialized one and our long waiting hair cloning? Could you please elaborate?

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry I am dumb I still don't understand what is the difference between 2024 commercialized one and our long waiting hair cloning? Could you please elaborate?
You are not dumb.

Commercialization for drug and cosmetic product testing by the first half of 2024. For hair regeneration therapy they must follow Korean laws for clinical trials.