Just watched on news...chromosone 20 responsible for male pattern baldness.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Interesting. The true cure for male pattern baldness will only be from a genetic approach I think. Transplanting hair onto someones head is not in my opinion a cure so much as a way around figuring out the true solution to the problem. I mean it would grow hair and be seen as a cure but really something like hair multiplication is not a true genetic cure.
Also as much as a test helps we need to find the genes and come up with a real cure or preventative treatment other then finasteride. Although even they say that androgens and receptors are the key and mother and father play a role which is interesting.

Cassin

Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Interesting. The true cure for male pattern baldness will only be from a genetic approach I think. Transplanting hair onto someones head is not in my opinion a cure so much as a way around figuring out the true solution to the problem. I mean it would grow hair and be seen as a cure but really something like hair multiplication is not a true genetic cure.
Also as much as a test helps we need to find the genes and come up with a real cure or preventative treatment other then finasteride. Although even they say that androgens and receptors are the key and mother and father play a role which is interesting.

abcdefg........well said!

ali777

Reaction score
I just saw an interview with the Professor from King College London on BBC. I was expecting some long explanations on balding, etc.

Basically, he stressed that they have isolated the genes responsible for male pattern baldness, and with genetic testing they could tell that the person in question is 7 fold more likely to have male pattern baldness. That was pretty much it...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
It always amuses me whenever I see something about "finding the gene(s) responsible for balding". What does it even MEAN, "responsible for balding"? There are several specific genes that could be altered to stop balding. For example, you could knock-out the gene that encodes the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme, which would definitely stop balding! But would you say that THAT particular gene is "responsible for balding"? :)

You could also alter or knock-out the gene that encodes the androgen receptor, which would also stop balding (and cause many other VERY bad side effects); would you say that THAT particular gene is "responsible for balding"? :)

You could also alter or knock-out any number of important genes having to do with the synthesis of testosterone, which would also certainly stop balding; would you say that THOSE particular genes are "responsible for balding"? :)

As for me, I tend to feel that whatever gene (or set of genes) causes scalp hair follicles to be suppressed by androgens in the first place could probably or possibly be called "responsible for balding", but I'm not even entirely sure about THAT! :$

abcdefg

Reaction score
Well we know male pattern baldness is a polygenic trait so theres multiple genes involved and who knows how many and in what combinations so its certainly an extremely complicated task. A true genetic cure would be science figuring out all the genes and lets not forget the very important task of manipulating those genes taking into account timing. I would say a complete genetic cure to male pattern baldness will not happen in our lifetimes but someday it probably will.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
It always amuses me whenever I see something about "finding the gene(s) responsible for balding". What does it even MEAN, "responsible for balding"? There are several specific genes that could be altered to stop balding. For example, you could knock-out the gene that encodes the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme, which would definitely stop balding! But would you say that THAT particular gene is "responsible for balding"? :)

You could also alter or knock-out the gene that encodes the androgen receptor, which would also stop balding (and cause many other VERY bad side effects); would you say that THAT particular gene is "responsible for balding"? :)

You could also alter or knock-out any number of important genes having to do with the synthesis of testosterone, which would also certainly stop balding; would you say that THOSE particular genes are "responsible for balding"? :)

As for me, I tend to feel that whatever gene (or set of genes) causes scalp hair follicles to be suppressed by androgens in the first place could probably or possibly be called "responsible for balding", but I'm not even entirely sure about THAT! :$

Exactly.
As for a "genetic" cure.....dont hold your breath. What we should be focussed on is more effective and specific treatments. That is where research of this kind and microarrays showing gene expression differences can really help. Otherwise you have to wait around for them to get gene therapy running safely and effectively which is a whole other story. remember that every time a DHT molecule binds to an androgen receptor (or is prevented from doing so) it is manipulating genes, at least in terms of which ones are expressed.
hh

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I agree with harold that we need to focus on better treatments. Prevention is all well and good but the miracle we are all after is bringing those unfortunate people back from the point of no return and give them the new lease on life that they deserve.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan said:

+1

I'm glad you feel the same way Bryan and Harold. I get "dizzy" when I read stuff like that. So many genes, pathways, other effects, etc. :freaked:

michael barry

Reaction score
It always amuses me whenever I see something about "finding the gene(s) responsible for balding". What does it even MEAN, "responsible for balding"? There are several specific genes that could be altered to stop balding. For example, you could knock-out the gene that encodes the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme, which would definitely stop balding! But would you say that THAT particular gene is "responsible for balding"?

You could also alter or knock-out the gene that encodes the androgen receptor, which would also stop balding (and cause many other VERY bad side effects); would you say that THAT particular gene is "responsible for balding"?

You could also alter or knock-out any number of important genes having to do with the synthesis of testosterone, which would also certainly stop balding; would you say that THOSE particular genes are "responsible for balding"?

As for me, I tend to feel that whatever gene (or set of genes) causes scalp hair follicles to be suppressed by androgens in the first place could probably or possibly be called "responsible for balding", but I'm not even entirely sure about THAT!

Bryan, we ALL have alpha five reductase genes. In fact, a South Korean study concluded that bald men's genes that are associated with alpha five reductase are no different that hirsute men's. There were 7 genes associated with alpha five reductase.
We also ALL have androgen receptor-associated genes, however bald men oft-have a particular variant of this gene.

We ALL synthesize testosterone and need it, so as a therapuetic target, that is also out.

However we DO NOT ALL HAVE whichever gene that is on chromosome 20 (there are about 900 of them) that apparently is the primary cause of baldness. Knocking out this gene with a compound that "blocks" or "intereferes" with it, will not make you lose your sex drive or grow breasts. If it can be interdicted only in the scalp, one likely will have no side effects of any kind at all. It may not grow back lost hair, but it may (if a compound that antagonizes the expression of this particular gene can be synthesized) keep men from ever losing their hair in the first place and keep them from losing any more hair.

I'll state AGAIN........................Men who have this gene and also have a particular variant of the androgen receptor, are 7 times more likely to be bald. This IS IT. IT IS THE GENE THAT CAUSES BALDNESS IN MOST MEN. We simply have to find which one it is on this chromosome, and come up with a compound that interferes with it. Its a huge, gigantic step in the right direction.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
However we DO NOT ALL HAVE whichever gene that is on chromosome 20 (there are about 900 of them) that apparently is the primary cause of baldness. Knocking out this gene with a compound that "blocks" or "intereferes" with it, will not make you lose your sex drive or grow breasts.

Michael, I don't care much for this general point of view. I think we are ALL susceptible to balding; it's just that some of us are more susceptible than others, and actually present noticeable balding. Furthermore, I doubt that the factors which determine the extent of that balding are limited to just a single gene.

But as I said before, I think the most basic factor that determines the extent of balding has to do with the fundamental design of scalp hair follicles, with whatever it is in that design that causes those hair follicles to be suppressed by androgens being the number one issue.