Just want to know where I stand..

Anonymous31

Reaction score
Picture 241.jpgPicture 244.jpgPicture 245.jpgPicture 247.jpg

I'm 30 years old now... I first started noticing hair loss maybe a few years ago but I sadly didn't worry about it much since it was really unnoticable.. Now it's quite thin with scalp visible through hair and I've been freaking out lately (seems to be mostly diffuse thinning). Is there any hope for me? Or am I too far gone to have a full set of hair again? I'll do about anything at this point.

Mainly have just been told by hair stylists to use nioxin at this point.. So i've been using the Nioxin 2 (fine, noticably thinning) shampoo.. Don't really think it's going to help much but I have noticed less breakage.

Picture 256.jpg

Just adding this pic that shows how high up my hairline is.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Diffuse thinning Norwood 2. You get the same advice as everyone else, finasteride and minoxidil. Ditch the nioxin. Best not to take advice from hair stylists when it comes to hair loss, they aren't doctors. Hell, most doctors are extremely ignorant about make pattern baldness, even dermatologists...

Anonymous31

Reaction score
Yea, I didn't have much hope for Nioxin but thought I'd give it a shot in the meantime.. From your perspective, do you think I would be likely to benefit much from finasteride and minoxidil? I'm willing to take the plunge if it's a last resort although I was hoping for any natural approach, but I doubt there is one.. Although I have read up recently on burdock + castor oil in helping to thicken the hair.. Is that something I could try along side finasteride and minoxidil or by itself? Also what kind of hair growth can I expect in my situation (I know everyone is different, just trying to get an idea). Thanks a lot.

I'd be freakishly happy with even decent hair at this point and maintaining that.

Rosa

Reaction score
Ditch the nioxin. Judging from the pics, I reckon you are having EXACTLY the same baldness progression as my boyfriend, who is 27. He used Finasteride and Minoxidil, which helped a lot, but developed contact dermatitis due to allergic reaction to Propylene Glycol (PG) in the minoxidil lotion after 4 months. He then switched to Rogaine foam, at which point dermatitis got better. But his scalp turned red everytime he washed his hair, and we found out that Nioxin also contains traces of PG. After he stopped using it, there have been no more problems.

We've done some research and found out that a dermatitis allergic reaction to PG can be cumulative. You may be tolerant to exposure to a certain amount of PG before you start to develop allergy. Thus, additional exposure through using Nioxin can contribute to the higher risks of developing dermatitis. My recommendation is therefore that you may wanna minimize your risks of allergy; if you want to start using minoxidil, try to avoid using any hair products that contain PG. Or else, you can start by using Rogaine foam (which contains no PG) if you don't mind the higher prices you have to pay for that. :inlove:

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, I didn't have much hope for Nioxin but thought I'd give it a shot in the meantime.. From your perspective, do you think I would be likely to benefit much from finasteride and minoxidil? I'm willing to take the plunge if it's a last resort although I was hoping for any natural approach, but I doubt there is one.. Although I have read up recently on burdock + castor oil in helping to thicken the hair.. Is that something I could try along side finasteride and minoxidil or by itself? Also what kind of hair growth can I expect in my situation (I know everyone is different, just trying to get an idea). Thanks a lot.

I'd be freakishly happy with even decent hair at this point and maintaining that.

A lot of people are talking about castor oil these days, apparently it induces PGE2 production in scalp tissue which promotes hair growth. It's potentially an interesting addition. Finasteride and minoxidil are your base though, I can almost guarantee it will improve your hair a lot. In 4 months, it's not entirely unreasonable to expect that you to thicken your hair significantly all over. You may not have your youthful thickness back, but you may have enough that you are no longer visibly balding.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nioxin snake oils I was tricked also OP. Like Rosa said above ditch that **** ASAP.

Anonymous31

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the responses... I'm going to follow this advice and get started asap.

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
Temporal recession and anteriors have receded and are thinning. You are NW2A and will progress into NW3A or even NW3V soon if no actions are taken to mitigate the progression. Hop on minoxidil to support hair regrowth and supplement it with finasteride, or dutasteride to maintain that regrowth (if any).