Just Switched From Finasteride 1mg To Dutasteride 0.5mg

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently began noticing that after 2 years on finasteride, I was finally losing more ground again. I kept a good baseline while on it, but I needed something more.
Currently doing
Keto 1% once a week
Minoxidil (started April 25th) liquid 2ml at night (sometimes I use the foam for convenience if I don't have time to let it dry. If I do this I'll use the foam twice a day. Otherwise liquid just at night.
Dutasteride 0.5mg everyday (started 3 days ago)

Here is more detailed version of my story:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...n-after-2-years-on-finasteride-photos.105244/

These are questions that my hair transplant Dr. (Sara Wasserbauer) answered for me regarding the drug. 3 days ago, I stopped finasteride1 mg, and began taking dutasteride 0.5mg. No tapering.

1. Would it be just as effective to add dutasteride 0.5mg once a week while continuing my 1mg finasteride? I have read doctors prescribing this dosage on realself.com.

No one knows. The only head to head study that was done was for daily use of these medications (https://californiahairsurgeon.com/news/dutasteride-vs-finasteride/). No one has yet done a study on Dutasteride 0.5mg once weekly either alone or in conjunction with finasteride.

2. I have been maintaining my hair with finasteride for the past 2 years. But I am slowly seeing more thinning and miniaturization. I've had no side effects from finasteride. Would I have a better chance that I should respond/not have side effects with Dutasteride? Or is it just the luck of the draw?

Another good question. There is no way to predict who will have a side effect and who will not. All we know is that the side effects seem to resolve with time.

3. Do I taper off finasteride or just stop completely one day, and add dutasteride 0.5mg the next day?

No need to taper. These medicines have a different “pharmacokinetics” than something like a steroid (which you would definitely have to taper). You can just start the dutasteride in place of the finasteride whenever you want.

4. I noticed a few hours after taking it a mild pressure on my head (a fog-like feeling). This pressure was lessened yesterday, and lessened more today. No other side effects.

Nope, no “pressure" reports. However nonspecific symptoms like that are very common whenever a patient takes a new medication.

Unfortunately because I stated minoxidil 3 months ago, some of the potential added dutasteride benefits could be from that.

Here are some photos of where I am now

Attachments

• IMG_2572.PNG
    IMG_2572.PNG
    612 KB · Views: 2,114
  • IMG_2573.PNG
    IMG_2573.PNG
    555.5 KB · Views: 1,461
  • IMG_2574.PNG
    IMG_2574.PNG
    645.2 KB · Views: 3,163
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1,563

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good luck man. Recently started dutasteride myself (2 months ago). Taking it MWFSu only though. Hoping it can be more effective than finasteride, as the stuff was useless for me. Hopefully minoxidil can give you some good regrowth, as its unlikely on dutasteride especially if finasteride didn't achieve regrowth.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good luck man. Recently started dutasteride myself (2 months ago). Taking it MWFSu only though. Hoping it can be more effective than finasteride, as the stuff was useless for me. Hopefully minoxidil can give you some good regrowth, as its unlikely on dutasteride especially if finasteride didn't achieve regrowth.
Thank you!

JohnOKelly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe there was a study done, in Australia, where Dutas was added once weekly to Finas 1mg daily and the patients situation improved.

Anyway, I'm in a similar situation, losing ground after years of finas and minoxidil so I've added dutas 2x weekly to see if that helps. I didn't want to make the switch to dutas only for various reasons

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe there was a study done, in Australia, where Dutas was added once weekly to Finas 1mg daily and the patients situation improved.

Anyway, I'm in a similar situation, losing ground after years of finas and minoxidil so I've added dutas 2x weekly to see if that helps. I didn't want to make the switch to dutas only for various reasons

Keep us updated. Pics?

JohnOKelly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep us updated. Pics?

There are pics somewhere in the general topic section, can't find my own post now. If adding dutas helps, I'll let people know, but I'm only really expecting maintenance, regrowth would be amazing but I don't think I'd get that.

JohnOKelly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From tomorrow I am making the switch from Finas 1.25 ED and Dutas .5 twice weekly to just Dutas .5 ED. Possibly too early to tell, but I don't think the addition of twice weekly Dutas on top of Finas was doing anything for me and I don't really want to waste any more time.

con1000

Reaction score
Switched to dutasteride a few months back, think my diffuse thinning may have got worse, hoping its just a temporary thing but you can now nearly see through to my scalp, thinking about going higher up than 0.5 dutasteride but the higher doses dont seem to be as readily available, i get my dutasteride from pharmacydirectgb and they dont seem to sell 1.0 dutasteride - anybody any experience of higher doses?

dr75

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Didn't you experience even a slight regrowth on finasteride?

JohnOKelly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Switched to dutasteride a few months back, think my diffuse thinning may have got worse, hoping its just a temporary thing but you can now nearly see through to my scalp, thinking about going higher up than 0.5 dutasteride but the higher doses dont seem to be as readily available, i get my dutasteride from pharmacydirectgb and they dont seem to sell 1.0 dutasteride - anybody any experience of higher doses?

I would say give it a bit longer than a few months, this could just be a shed.

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
could we all get an update on your Dutasteride progress?

I recently began noticing that after 2 years on finasteride, I was finally losing more ground again. I kept a good baseline while on it, but I needed something more.
Currently doing
Keto 1% once a week
Minoxidil (started April 25th) liquid 2ml at night (sometimes I use the foam for convenience if I don't have time to let it dry. If I do this I'll use the foam twice a day. Otherwise liquid just at night.
Dutasteride 0.5mg everyday (started 3 days ago)

Here is more detailed version of my story:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...n-after-2-years-on-finasteride-photos.105244/

These are questions that my hair transplant Dr. (Sara Wasserbauer) answered for me regarding the drug. 3 days ago, I stopped finasteride1 mg, and began taking dutasteride 0.5mg. No tapering.

1. Would it be just as effective to add dutasteride 0.5mg once a week while continuing my 1mg finasteride? I have read doctors prescribing this dosage on realself.com.

No one knows. The only head to head study that was done was for daily use of these medications (https://californiahairsurgeon.com/news/dutasteride-vs-finasteride/). No one has yet done a study on Dutasteride 0.5mg once weekly either alone or in conjunction with finasteride.

2. I have been maintaining my hair with finasteride for the past 2 years. But I am slowly seeing more thinning and miniaturization. I've had no side effects from finasteride. Would I have a better chance that I should respond/not have side effects with Dutasteride? Or is it just the luck of the draw?

Another good question. There is no way to predict who will have a side effect and who will not. All we know is that the side effects seem to resolve with time.

3. Do I taper off finasteride or just stop completely one day, and add dutasteride 0.5mg the next day?

No need to taper. These medicines have a different “pharmacokinetics” than something like a steroid (which you would definitely have to taper). You can just start the dutasteride in place of the finasteride whenever you want.

4. I noticed a few hours after taking it a mild pressure on my head (a fog-like feeling). This pressure was lessened yesterday, and lessened more today. No other side effects.

Nope, no “pressure" reports. However nonspecific symptoms like that are very common whenever a patient takes a new medication.

Unfortunately because I stated minoxidil 3 months ago, some of the potential added dutasteride benefits could be from that.

Here are some photos of where I am now

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped after 9 months or so. I continued to have the brain-fog feeling that never went away. Even worse was I was shedding pretty heavy in my front hairline. I went back on finasteride, and grew most of that shed back.

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped after 9 months or so. I continued to have the brain-fog feeling that never went away. Even worse was I was shedding pretty heavy in my front hairline. I went back on finasteride, and grew most of that shed back.
nice to hear, i stopped it 1 week ago, hope get better after also 9 months

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
never got sides on Fina?