Just started..

snookie

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just sarted to notice my hair falling out only about 6 months ago. I am only 20 years old and it seems to be falling out fairly fast. Everytime I go in my bathroom I notice hair on the floor and near the sink where I will fix up my hair. I have a receding hair line on the sides (kind of like a V shape) and a thining of my hair by the crown. I just found this website today by searching around and Im glad I found people with the same problem coming together and talking about it. Since I am new to this, what can I start to do now to try and keep the hair I have. I'm not so concerned about regrowth moreso than just trrying to jeep what I have because it is not so bad right now, but could be soon with the rate it seems to be falling out. Anything I can do to start? Thanks.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Welcome. There are a lot of sites on hairloss on the net, but most of them are either trying to sell you something, or are full of desperate men trying experimental treatments. We are all about the proven treatments, the ones that work for most men. You have found yourself in good company.

That being said, the most obvious answer is Finasteride. Made by Merck, its distributed in 1mg pill form as Propecia (for hair loss) and 5mg pill form as Proscar (for enlarged prostates). If you pick up Proscar on the net, it can be had very cheap, and easily divided into 4ths or 5ths.

This should really be all you need to keep your hair for an additonal 3-7+ years. If you find it doesnt work for you, or that you start losing your hair after a few years, you can add things like Minoxidil or Spironolactone to keep things on track. Many of us are banking on finasteride to keep hair on our heads until more advanced treatments are released.

It is highly reccomended that you use Nizoral shamoo once every three days with any treatment. This optimizes scalp health, which is very important.

Keep your scalp as healthy and irritation free as you can. If this is an issue, theres a number of other things you can do to correct this.

Good luck!

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should try Propecia and Nizoral for at least 6 months. After that if its working well for you, kick in the minoxidil 5% :wink:

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wezz said:
You should try Propecia and Nizoral for at least 6 months. After that if its working well for you, kick in the minoxidil 5% :wink:
Why kick in Min if its working? Sounds like hes happy with is hair as is. Min wont hurt, sure, but its a hassle compaired to taking a pill, and its extra $.

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
flux said:
Wezz said:
Why kick in Min if its working? Sounds like hes happy with is hair as is. Min wont hurt, sure, but its a hassle compaired to taking a pill, and its extra $.

well for my age(17) i started minoxidil first along with nizoral and im going to keep this for 6 months(my 2nd bottle of minoxidil finished)....

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I started minoxidil first too. I'm just not sure thats best for everybody.

You are too young for finasteride tho. Actually, Wezz, you might want to consider adding spironolactone to take on DHT without messing with your hormones. Good luck with all that. Its hard being so young, I am sure.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Er.yah. I added to my previous post.

Snookie is old enough for finasteride tho.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
hey. what flux said - thats good advice. when you go on finasteride though, make sure you are prepared for some shedding. you might continue to lose a little constantly, or none and then quite a bit for a few weeks, during the first few months on finasteride. hopefully though, you will ride out these sheds and this hair will regrow. as long as youre prepared for this shedding, and understand that finasteride builds up in your body and take a good few months to show aesthetic results (hair takes months to regrow but shed quickly), you should be fine. dont worry about it too much, dont look in the mirror all the time... you should be fine seeing as youre happy with the amount of hair you have right now. im sure youll have many years of good hair ahead of you for a long time while on finasteride, and then if things start to fail then youll have quite a few other treatments to fall back on.

best of luck.

snookie

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys. This has been consuming me for the past few months. I never realized what people losing their hair went through until I am starting to lose my own. It's very depressing, but I dont know how else to deal with it. The worst part is when other people will start to notice it very easily, I dont know how I am going to cope with it. Anyone have any suggestions.

Reaction score
Snookie, don't worry about it. Since you have started early and with the treatments a/v today, you can probably maintain what you have for 7-20 years. Then at that time, there will be some cool new treatments for sure. So strictly follow what we said:

Start with Propecia + Nizoral.
If you get positive results, don't add anything.

If it does not work AFTER 12 MONTHS, then add minoxidil 5%.

These are what we call "the big 3".
But start with the big 2 first.

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
watch out theres a lot of snake oil sellers out there, 99.9% of the stuff for hairloss wont do sh*t execept lose you money
so beware
go with FDA aproved stuff