Just started Propecia! Seeking comments

captaineyes

Reaction score
Hi,

With help from this site, I started Propecia this morning! I'm in Canada so I didn't know how to get it, and you guys gave me all the instructions I needed! Thanks! (It's crazy expensive... but thanks... :)

Anyway, the doctor at the walk-in clinic brought some possible side effects to my attention and I'm not worried, I just wonder how much credence I should put to them.

She said that, #1, it can decrease libido. I read that here, knew that already. But how many people does that affect? Is there an accepted % (eg. 40% of users or whatever). And is it serious serious (as in, you have no sex drive at all)? I've never really been on a drug of any kind so if that happens, it will be, if nothing else, really weird for me.

#2, it can cause male breasts. This caused me to shudder, I'll be honest. I didn't know that. I work out quite a bit and take care of my body. Again, does this affect everyone or not? I know how they report these side effects in the pharma industry- they have to, no matter how unlikely- so I'm now just trying to get a gauge on what to expect.

Either way, can you guys (those of you on finasteride) just tell me how it progressed for YOU (side effects you saw, felt; side effects you didn't)? I understand it's different for everyone but I still wouldn't mind getting some first-hand accounts. And I'm not "weak" either- I can take pretty much everything. I'm more curious than I am concerned. I think I'll be experimenting with the drug for at least a month, then decide whether I want to stay on with it.

Thanks in advance! (And thanks for all the help from before!)

Wish me luck!

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The FDA trials showed that ~2-3% had some kind of side effect, not even close to 40%. My uncle is a doctor and at first he was a bit skeptical on me taking finasteride but he was thinking it was 5mg, when I said I wanted to cut it in 4 for hairloss he said its usually allright even with the 5mg.

Side effects are more common early on but usually go away gradually, so don't panic if you get some ball-ache first days or some difficulty with the erection or whatever. This is happening to me right now but it goes up and down and I have only been on it a week.

And if you keep on training and keep a good attitude to it then you should be fine unless you are one of the few that finasteride really bothers.