just started my 11th month on propecia. Should I continue?

southerndrawl

Reaction score
11th months on prescription finasteride(CVS) and I'm still shedding like usual, I have had no side effects, and I keep getting easy pulls at the hairline. I hate to say it but I just don't think this stuff is working for me.

At first when I noticed no side effects I was happy then I started to think that maybe it's because it has no effect on my body what so ever. I think maybe the guys who experience sides are the ones who will get results.

When I started the only expectation I had was to stop the hairloss, but I'm still shedding, not more or less but completey the same as before I started. Should I stay on it and finish up my year? Would it be out of the question to expect some progress at the end of next month? Is there any reason to stay on propecia after my year is up?

Thanks!

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
If youre not getting sides and can afford to stay on it, I would stick with it. I was in a similar position as you at the 12 month mark and very nearly quit finasteride,

There are many posts on this forum from people who only got the full benefit after the first year and this persuaded me to not to give up hope.

much to my surprise at 14 months my hair started to look thicker and now at well over 2 years my hair looks much better than it did when i started.

I am sure that if i had quit finasteride at 12 months i would be one of the people saying finasteride didnt work for me and i would also have alot less hair

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
southerndrawl said:
11th months on prescription finasteride(CVS) and I'm still shedding like usual, I have had no side effects, and I keep getting easy pulls at the hairline. I hate to say it but I just don't think this stuff is working for me.

At first when I noticed no side effects I was happy then I started to think that maybe it's because it has no effect on my body what so ever. I think maybe the guys who experience sides are the ones who will get results.

Thanks!

14 years on Propecia/generic finasteride, no sides, incredible results

If you aren't having sides why quite as you seem to be getting generic finasteride and cutting it up so it's not expensive

Don't be so surprised you aren't having sides and don't be looking for them to show up as that in iself can lead to sides

southerndrawl

Reaction score
David007 thanks for the support, and HT55 I am not on generic finasteride. I'm on propecia. It's just shorter to write "finasteride", but you have given me the idea of getting generic and cutting it up. Whats the generic brand called? Proscar? Thanks again guys!

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
southerndrawl said:

When I started the only expectation I had was to stop the hairloss, but I'm still shedding, not more or less but completey the same as before I started. Should I stay on it and finish up my year? Would it be out of the question to expect some progress at the end of next month? Is there any reason to stay on propecia after my year is up?

Thanks!

Don't have much to add except that I'm in the same boat. 11 months on Propecia and disappointed I have to say. My hair has continued to get slightly worse I think. I'm going to start Rogaine foam in a couple of weeks and give that + Propecia another 6 months. I don't know what the hell I'll do then if things are still going downhill... :(

yankee

Reaction score
I will be keeping an eye on your progress Maelstrom. 15 months for me and battling with the decision to add foam or not.

Optimistic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought that Finasteride could take up to two years before it works for some people.

I'd stay on it until at least the two-year mark.

yankee

Reaction score
I sure hope you are correct with the up to 2 year thing, but I have yet to find any support of it.

Most say they have seen results withing the 1st year with continued improvement throughout year 2. Haven't found anyone who didn't see improvement until the end of year 2.

grove12345

Reaction score
could it be CVS giving you crappy finasteride?

is it CVS made? or merk made?

Sometimes CVS stuff comes from off shores. An ehhhh

southerndrawl

Reaction score
No it's prescription Propecia I just write "finasteride" because it's shorter to write, and I said I get it from CVS so I won't get asked if I'm getting it from online pharmacies or a real pharmacy. The first thing most people ask when responding to these type posts is to ask where they got it from because the supplier may be at fault. This is why I always say where I get it from

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
The 2 year period thing is very, very commong. You must be a relatively new HairLossTalk.com browser to have not noticed that.

I think it all depends where and when you hit your male pattern baldness with finasteride... if it's near the end of a hair growth cycle, or at the beginning of one (mind you, your whole head has different hairs operating on different cycles all over). I know personally that I shed (naturally) about twice a year, and that's usually in May/June and November/December, meaning I have a rougly 6 month cycle - finasteride needs a few hair cycles to actually start helping hair recover from the damage done by DHT, so it didn't surprise me that my results started showing up at months 9-12, and that they might get slightly better again at months 22-24.

If you can deal with whatever side-effects you're experiencing, give it 2+ years to really judge the drug.

MichaelAnderson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi SouthernDrawl - did your shedding eventually stop? If so, what did you do? How is your hair now? I know it has been several years since you posted this. I am having the same exact issue as you. On propecia and rogain foam for 11 months and I'm shedding just as much as I was before I started.

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Stick with it.. maintenance alone is success so dont just expect dramatic results. At the end of 2 years take a photo and compare with a photo from baseline. It was only when i did this i realised i had at least maintained and maybe regrew a little. I too was ready to give up but glad i didnt.

I still shed everyday but i guess the hairs are being replaced because now im 10 years in and my hair is about the same as baseline. Ive just added dutasteride twice a week as was starting to lose ground again.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi SouthernDrawl - did your shedding eventually stop? If so, what did you do? How is your hair now? I know it has been several years since you posted this. I am having the same exact issue as you. On propecia and rogain foam for 11 months and I'm shedding just as much as I was before I started.

I am also still shedding (now 6 months straight) around 300+ hairs. I am way below baseline based on photo's. But i have to add i was rapidly losing hair before treatment as well so it looks like finasteride is not doing anything.

So i am in the exact situation as you were you shedding hasn't been less or more. What are you gonna do?

g.i joey

Reaction score
Don't have much to add except that I'm in the same boat. 11 months on Propecia and disappointed I have to say. My hair has continued to get slightly worse I think. I'm going to start Rogaine foam in a couple of weeks and give that + Propecia another 6 months. I don't know what the hell I'll do then if things are still going downhill... :(

If you weren't on propecia, I doubt you would "think" your hair would be slightly worst, the fact that you have doubt about it getting worst is a good sign. Give it a bit more time

MichaelAnderson

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks!
Sorry for the repeat post. I realize I didn't reply directly to "SouthernDrawl" previously. Hi SouthernDrawl - did your shedding eventually stop? If so, what did you do? How is your hair now? I know it has been several years since you posted this. I am having the same exact issue as you. On propecia and rogain foam for 11 months and I'm shedding just as much as I was before I started.