Just received an "Urgent Drug Recall" for Minoxidil

zurih

Reaction score
Here is the email I received:

This is to inform you of a product recall involving all of the products prescribed and dispensed to you by Regrowth, LLC.

The recall has been initiated because the U.S. FDA has determined that these products were unapproved by the FDA and may be potential health hazards.

This is a comprehensive list of the Regrowth LLC products:

Product ID Description

002 Retin-A .025% Solution 60 mL bottle

003 Retin-A .05% Solution 60 mL bottle

201 2% Spironolactone Solution 60 mL bottle

205 5% Spironolactone Lotion 2 oz. jar

420 Regrowth Treatment Shampoo (2% Ketoconazole/3% Salicylic Acid) 4oz bottle

500 5% Minoxidil Solution 65 mL bottle

501 5% Minoxidil Solution + Retinoic Acid. 65 mL bottle

540 5% Minoxidil Solution without Propylene Glycol 65 mL bottle

600 5% Xandrox Solution (5% Minoxidil/5% Azelaic Acid) 65 mL bottle

601 5% Xandrox Solution (5% Minoxidil/5% Azelaic Acid) + 0.025% Retinoic Acid 65 mL bottle

640 5% Xandrox Solution (5% Minoxidil/5% Azelaic Acid) without Propylene Glycol 65mL bottle

700 12.5% Minoxidil Solution 125mL bottle

768 6% Minoxidil-PLUS (6% Minoxidil/01% Finasteride) Solution 65mL bottle

925 12.5% Xandrox (12.5% Minoxidil/5% Azelaic Acid) Lotion 125 mL bottle

930 12.5% Xandrox (12.5% Minoxidil/5% Azelaic Acid) Lotion 30 mL bottle

940 Xandrox15 Solution (15% Minoxidil/5% Azelaic Acid) 125 mL bottle

948 Xandrox 15-Plus Solution (15% Minoxidil/5% Azelaic Acid/0.1% Finasteride) 125 mL bottle

The medication or medications you have received contain one or more of the following active ingredients:

Minoxidil [1]

Azelaic Acid [2]

Finasteride[3]

Spironolactone[4]

Retinoic Acid[5]

Ketoconazole[6]

Salicylic Acid[7]

[1] Minoxidil can cause a decrease in the blood pressure, an increase in the heart rate, dizziness on standing (orthostatic hypotension), lightheadedness, headaches and swollen feet/hands.

[2] Azelaic acid can cause hypopigmentation in darkly pigmented patients. It can also make the skin where it is applied more sensitive to sunburn.

[3] Finasteride can cause erectile dysfunction, decreased libido and testicular pain. Finasteride use is contraindicated in women when they are or may potentially be pregnant. Finasteride use may have the potential to cause abnormalities of the external genitalia of a male fetus of a pregnant woman.

[4] Spironolactone applied topically is quickly and completely metabolized. The metabolic products can cause vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain or cramps, dry mouth, thirst, dizziness, headache, gynecomastia and irregular menses.

[5] Retinoic acid can cause burning and stinging of the skin, lightening of the skin in the treated area, peeling, redness, an unusually warm feeling and unusual dryness.

[6] Ketoconazole in a shampoo can cause hair discoloration and abnormal hair texture, removal of the curl from permanently waved hair, itching, skin burning sensation and contact dermatitis, alopecia, rash, urticaria, skin irritation and dry skin.

[7] Salicylic acid can cause mild, temporary burning, itching, irritation, or stinging.

Please complete and return the Customer Response Form shown below as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact Dave Dorius (ReplyToRecall@minoxidil.com).

You are being advised to stop using any and all of these products and to destroy them.

This recall is being made with the knowledge of the Food and Drug Administration.

---------------

Anyone knows anything about this?

Minoxidil.com says:

We're very sorry to inform you that Regrowth LLC has to suspend all operations at this time. In an ongoing audit, the U.S. FDA has deemed our medications to be 'unapproved illegal drugs'. The exorbitant cost of new drug development precludes our pursuing New Drug Applications (NDAs).

Requests for new consultations and orders for medications cannot be processed.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Richard Lee, M.D.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I guess it's probably standard FDA practice when they shut someone down to inform all customers of the potential sides.

I wonder if this could be be part of the reason Lee was shutdown, for not making all these sides clear when selling his stuff.

Ketoconazole in a shampoo can cause hair discoloration and abnormal hair texture, removal of the curl from permanently waved hair

That keto side did make me laugh tho, like who gives a f*** about that :D

Jacob

Reaction score
Seems odd that each of those products are listed though..and each ingredient has it's warning. And it's a "recall". You'd think if it's the FDA telling him to send that out..that they'd have the other reason(s) ppl have come up in these forums for him being shut down...mentioned.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
zurih said:
[4] Spironolactone applied topically is quickly and completely metabolized. The metabolic products can cause vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain or cramps, dry mouth, thirst, dizziness, headache, gynecomastia and irregular menses.

Topical spironolactone can cause gyno...?

BlueMan

Reaction score
Where am I going to get my non-greasy minoxidil now? I've been using Dr Lee's forever! This is not good!

Ende

Reaction score
Oh, the FDA. Promoting oral finasteride treatment, and shutting down production of topical treatments. f*****g idiots.

jkman1

Reaction score
I was saddened when the FDA shut his site down. I had been using the 5% Xandrox from Dr. Lee for the last 5 years and was very happy with it. It was the fastest drying minoxidil too. It dried within an hour or so. I have now switched to Lipogaine from minoxidilmax but it takes just as long as rogaine to dry.

VIN-DIESEL

Reaction score
if you ask me, this all seems abit dodgy.... seems like a very detailed and specific email. I am glad that I didn't get some of those products which could have been messed around with more so than minoxidil..

I would never have bought generic finasteride anyway.