Just past the 4 year mark on proscar... Side effects maybe?

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
Well as it says on th title i've been on proscar for 4 years. Recently i've had a bit of trouble maintaining a stiffy. Has anyone ever had similar experiences with prolonged use of finasteride?

I don't know if this can be bypassed or if its just in my mind, but im going to keep a close eye on it. If it doesn't resolve itself soon enough (1 Week, 2 tops) im going to have to drop proscar. Simple as.

Although i don't want to, i've seen steady results its a bit daunting now that its sort of creeping in. Any advice would be much appreciated?

Ende

Reaction score
Any other symptoms? How is your libido? Do you have softer erections? What about morning erections? It's your choice if you want to quit. It's most likely elevated estrogen level which is responsible. I recommend trying 50 mg of zinc every day for a couple of weeks and see if it gets any better. It works as an aromatase inhibitor, and reduces the conversion of testosterone to estrogen.

Prolactin is upregulated by estrogen, and may play a part too. If it's a problem, you would have noticed less intense orgasms and increased refractory period after orgasm by now. You may struggle to keep an erection over time, because it reduces sexual arousal too.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Enden has some good ideas that have helped some other people on here as kind of "quick fixes". Do zinc for 2-3 weeks at 50mg a day and see if that helps. I've also heard l-arginine is good for this.

How old are you? Some guys tend to have a decrease in testosterone at certain ages, earlier than they should. Sedentary life style I would reckon.

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
No im too young for it to be a "getting older" issue, im only 23 with a fairly physical day to day life. The morning erections aren't a problem i still get them, but its much more of a softer erection than in the past, my libido is still the same as mid to high.

I do appreciate the advise its helpful to know that the proscar is a possibility, im just not sure if its worth the hassle. It does worry me, so i think im going to stop for a week or so, maybe get my hands on some zinc and take it from there.

Its just unusual that after 4 years of no side effects, suddenly they've just come on.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
If you're still getting morning erections it might not be directly related to the finasteride. Could be in your head, fatigue, or something else, who knows.

Ende

Reaction score
Sexual function is dependent on both physical and psychological factors, but softer erections indicates a physical problem. You should consider doing kegel exercises too.